Status: Still writing this book.

Teenage Wasteland

Chapter Seven

Chapter 7

The resistance at the airport had sectioned off certain hangars as sleeping quarters. Most everyone got the cold concrete ground. Of course there were sleeping bags, but the floor was freezing. That was all Will could think about. He thought he was probably over exaggerating, something to do with wanting to be back at the tree house.
Jason had decided to sleep with his friends, instead of the privilege of sleeping with his family in the grand suite. Which in reality was a dinky little travel trailer. Will assumed it was better than the concrete.
Will couldn't sleep; he knew Jason would be awake too. He rolled over and looked a him.
"I'm going for a walk." Will whispered.
"I'll join you."
They both silently rose from the ground and made their way to the door. The greased hinges moved without a single squeak. Outside the air was cool and crisp, a few men dressed in military fatigues walked by.
The area of the airport that this group of survivors and managed to fence off was pretty large. It consisted of a grouping of eight different sized hangars and 11 or so office buildings. The smallest building, where their weapons were taken, was always under guard. The larger buildings where used for military and vehicle storage, Mr. Miller’s office was in one of them. The smaller ones were for civilians. Things like a kitchen, sleeping quarters, and recreation. Someone had found a basketball hoop and put it up.
Will rubbed his arms; he noticed a nice looking barrel with fire in it. Jason agreed as he saw Will’s line of sight.
They welcomed the warmth and huddled up next to it.
“So what do you think?” Will asked.
“About what?”
“Everything…this place, your dad. Just this whole group.” Will tried to explain.
“Oh, I don’t know. It’s pretty nice seeing my family again. But I just feel like now that I know their safe we should leave. It seems crazy though.”
“Yeah I understand. I never thought I would miss a freezing mountain.” Will grinned.
“I didn’t think I would miss a bunch of things! Like TV and school, sports, safe places to walk around.”
Will realized he had forgotten about most of those things. The past months had been so stressful and consuming; he barely had time to sleep. His hands began to warm by the fire.
“What do you think will happen next?” Will broke the silence.
“Not sure. I’ve a few rumors.”
“Oh yeah? What were those?” Will asked.
“Some people say that there is a new civilization somewhere near Spokane. Others say Montana or Mexico.” Jason replied.
Will shrugged and let out a small grunt. “I say we stay and start our own colony. Maybe we should just ask your dad tomorrow?”
“Oh he would probably wouldn’t know.” Jason said sarcastically. They both grinned. Will knew the jokes were good for them.
Jason’s face returned to a serious look. “What’s going on?” He pointed out behind Will.
Will watched a group of men in fatigues race past them. “Whatever it is, it must be serious.” Every single one of them carried a fully automatic rifle. Will instinctively stroked his knife handle.
“Let’s go check it out.” Jason said. “Wait. Let me get my bat first.” Jason turned and raced to the car where he kept it. Mr. Miller had taken all of their guns, luckily Jason was there to convince him to let them keep one pistol each.
They raced in the direction of the gate. Rapid burst of gunfire were now heard through the night. Will could see the flashes of combustion from outside the perimeter. Some of the men were standing on the small dirt mound that was used as ramparts. Jason ran after Will as they raced up the dirt. None of the soldiers noticed them, not only because the sound the sound of the guns, but they had found what all the commotion was.
Will and Jason looked out over the fence. Some fifty zombies were making their way towards the gate. Another fifty or so lay unmoving on the cold black top. An alarm began to ring in the back of his head. They needed to stop firing their weapons!
“Jason we have to stop these guys! The noise will put everyone in danger!”
Jason didn’t understand at first, but the memory of the freeway came to him. “You’re right.” He started yelling at the closest gun wielding man.
Will ran turned to the man next to him. “Sir, you have to stop shooting! Sir?”
The man looked at him. “What do you mean stop shooting? Are you crazy boy?”
“No you don’t understand! The zombies are attracted to noise! You are all putting this group in danger! You have stop and dispose of the rest quietly!”
“Don’t be stupid. I’ve fought hundreds of these things, they are all mindless dead bodies.” He returned to shooting.
To Will’s surprise he reached out and grabbed the collar of the soldier. “You have to listen to me! You will kill us all if you don’t stop!”
“Get your hands off of me boy.” The man’s tone was dangerous.
Will ignored him. “I lived out in the wild with those things for months. I’ve seen what they do. My friends have been in danger because of me and I will not let it happen again.” Will could feel his heart pounding against his chest. Adrenaline flowed through his body. He stared right into the eyes of the man. A look of uncertainty grew in his eyes.
“Alright, but you’ll be taking full responsibility for this.”
Will let the man go and nodded. The soldier ran down the dirt rampart and started talking to a fellow shooter.
A voice rang out “Cease fire! Fall back inside the fence.”
The gates were opened and closed again as the soldiers outside the fence ran in.
“Will, Jason, what’s going on?” Tyler ran up behind them.
“I think I may have nominated us to go kill those zombies out there, without guns.” Will smiled awkwardly.
“Oh good, I brought this machete just for that occasion.” Tyler said with false enthusiasm.
The gates shook as the remaining zombies slammed up against them. Will looked at man he had convince to stop shooting. Nothing but dirty looks crossed the soldiers face. Will looked over the fence, maybe ten or fifteen zombies left.
“You guys ready?”
“Of course we aren’t!” Jason complained. “Are we supposed to be ready to go out and commit suicide?”
Three men approached the boys, one of them being Will’s new friend.
“This is Porter and Jackson, the captain has assigned them to go with you.” Quick nods all around got them all acquainted. “Now I suggest you all get out there before these things break through the gate!”
“Right, okay guys, any ideas?” Will asked.
“I say we jump over the fence and attack those rotting flesh sacks from behind.” Tyler suggested.
“They are all pressed up against the fence.” The one called Porter added.
Jackson spoke this time, taking lead. “Let’s get this over with then.” He run up the dirt mound and jumped over, knife in hand. Will pulled his own out and followed. Jason, Tyler and Porter were only seconds behind.
In a single line they walked slowly behind Jackson. He stopped on the road twenty feet behind the attacking zombies.
“Quick feet, aim for the head.” Jackson whispered. He held his finger to his lips and started to move towards the gate.
Jackson acquired the first kill and Jason got the second. They had killed five when the others began to notice. Their attention was no longer on the gate, but on the new fresh prey.
Everyone moved around as fast as they could, striking at every opening. After a few minutes of running in circles, all of the threats were eliminated. The gates were opened quickly to let them back in.
Will turned to Jackson. “Hey thanks for helping us out.”
“No problem. But look, I believe you guys. I was actually thinking the same thing myself. You just have to approach the situation differently. You definitely didn’t make friends with Banner.”
“Yeah I guess you’re right. I just got caught up in the moment.” Will confessed.
“Don’t we all.” Jackson said as he joined the rest of the soldiers.
Jason watched the marines walk away and then turned to Will. “Well I don’t know about you, but I am swamped. I think I’ll catch some sleep.”
“I think I could go for some sleep too. I should probably go check on Izzy, just in case she woke up while we were gone. Tyler do you want to…” Will was cut off.
“No I think I’ll stay out here and talk to these guys. See if they know anything about the next moves and what not.” Tyler smiled and walked off.
Will and Jason walked back to the hanger together. Izzy had stayed asleep the whole time, or so he thought. They laid down in their sleeping bags, shivering as the cold of the concrete floor seeped through.
The hangar that had been designated as sleeping quarters was the largest of them all, also farthest from the armory. It was a nice set up, the older survivors had cots in the back while everyone else slept on the ground, with the exception of pregnant women. Some of the family’s had acquired mattresses to sleep on. Not that a mattress would change how well Will would sleep.
Will looked up through the steel rafters and drifted off to sleep. The sun would be rising soon, it wouldn’t hurt to get in a few hours of sleep.
“Will… Will?”
“Yes Izzy?”
“Where did you go?” She asked quietly.
“I went to the gate.”
“Why?”
“Because…” Will paused for a second. “There were some bad guys.”
“Did you kill them?”
“Yes.” Will whispered. “Now go back to sleep.”
“Okay.” Izzy rolled over and closed her eyes.
Will knew he needed to talk to his sister soon. She needed to know that killing wasn’t right. How would he explain it though, she had seen him kill both the alive and dead. He just couldn’t let her mind be destroyed like that. Izzy was his last shed of innocence, he needed her. Will went through different conversations in his head. Then he realized something horrible, he would have to do the birds and the bees too.