Hellbound and Heartless

Brand New Eyes

I feel like I am dying, and I probably am. At least, I really wanted to be. I would gladly welcome death, as it would probably be less painful, and a whole lot better than the burning sensation that is currently overpowering my throat. My breathing is heavy, almost to the point where I am hyperventilating, as I examine my shaking hands. My skin was somehow paler than before, and I could clearly see my veins. It was like my skin was translucent. A the burning intensified, I clutched my throat. I have no idea what the hell is going on, but it is really starting to freak me out.

A strange noise echoed in the night, bouncing off of the buildings. I'm almost certain that it's footsteps. I glanced around anxiously, and saw absolutely nothing. Then, I saw a strange figure emerging from the dark. It was a person, that I'm sure of. The figure was tall and slender.

“W-who's there?”, I choked out.

They stepped fully out of the shadows. A tall slender man stood before me, his eyes a dark brown and his skin as pale as mine. He stared down at me, not moving a muscle.

“W-what's h-happening to m-me?”

He smirked at first, like what I had asked amused him. Then he looked sympathetic. I was on the verge of tears. I just wanted this to stop.

“You're thirsty.”

I looked at him like he was insane. What the hell did he mean by that?

“W-what?”

He extended his hand towards me.

“Come, I'll help you. And I'll explain everything.

I hesitated. Did I really want to trust this guy? The burning increased, and I had my answer. I reached up and took his hand. I didn't care who this guy was. If he could make this awful burning go away, I'd follow him anywhere.

“What's w-wrong with me? And w-why does my t-throat burn?”

He glanced at me as we walked.

“All in due time.”

We eventually stopped in front of an old factory.

“Wait out here, I'll be right back.”

Before I could question him, he was gone. I paced in front of the iron gates, wondering what was going on. This all seemed like a strange dream, like it wasn't real. And yet it was real. I was beginning to think he'd abandoned me, but then he reappeared, There was a glass in his hand, filled with a red liquid that looked like wine.

“Here, drink this. It will make you feel better.”, he said, holding the glass out to me.
“W-what is it?”
“Just drink it.”

I took it from him, and looked into the glass then back at him.

“Do you want to feel better, or not?”

I raised the glass to my lips and drank. A thick warm liquid spilled down my throat, instantly decreasing the burn. It tasted rather good, almost sweet. I downed the entire glass, then looked back at the man. He was smirking at me.

“Good?”

I nodded, handing him back the glass.

“What was it?”
“Blood.”

Once again, I looked at him like he was crazy. There's no way that was blood. Blood is disgusting, I would never drink it. Who the hell drinks blood anyway?

“What?”

He sighed.

“Come with me to my house. I'll explain everything on the way.”

He started to lead the way.

“I guess I should probably tell you who I am first.”
“That would be nice.”
“My name is Chris Motionless. What do you call yourself?”
“Ricky. Ricky Olson.”
“Well Ricky, the reason you were in such immense pain moments ago is quite simple.”
“Oh really? Then enlighten me.”
“Do you remember anything before waking up in that alley?”

I racked my brain for the last thing I could remember.

“All I remember is being at a club, then the next thing I know, I'm waking up on the ground in a dark alley. I have no idea how I got there.”
“This may sound weird, and you'll probably think I'm nuts.”
“It can't be that bad.”
“Yes it can.”
“Then just tell me already.”
“Ricky, you're a vampire.”

Did I hear him right?

“I'm a what?”
“You heard me.”
“I know, I was just making sure I wasn't crazy.”

He cracked a smile, and I could tell he was trying hard no to laugh.

“I know it sounds crazy, but it's true.”
“Okay then, prove it.”
“I don't have to prove it. You can see it for yourself, just look around.”

He was right. I hadn't realized it before, but everything was a lot clearer. I could see things that I wouldn't normally be able to. Like each blade of grass that we passed, every crack in the pavement, and even every beautiful detail of Chris' face. I gasped when I saw the incredible detail of his eyes, every line was clearly visible, and the color was enhanced. I don't ever remember seeing colors that vibrant and beautiful. There were at least four different shades of brown in his eyes, and his veins were also more visible than they should be. These were things no human would ever be able to see.

He smiled looking down at the ground as we continued.

“Vampires are very beautiful creatures, almost as beautiful as angels. When a human becomes a vampire, it's like every flaw on their body disappears.”

“Did You say angels?”
“Yes, I did. They're extremely attractive beings, and have the biggest hearts. They're so full of love and affection, but can also tend to have....issues.”
“Issues?”
“It's hard to explain. Just don't piss one off, let's put it that way. They can be hell bent on revenge.”

I took a minute to think about it. The thought of angels getting revenge is confusing.

“Aren't angel supposed to be good?”
“I didn't say they weren't, just that they're sensitive. They don't like when people mess with their feelings.”
“That's reasonable.”

He chuckled.

“So, do I really have to kill people?”
“Unfortunately, yes.”
“Can't I just kill animals?”
“You could, but I don't think you'll want to.”
“It can't be that bad.”
“Suit yourself.”

He suddenly stopped walking, and I realized we were in front of an enormous house. It was like ten times the size of mine.

“Home sweet home.”

He went to the door, then looked back at me.

“Coming? I'm sure my clan would love to meet you.”
“Your clan?”
“Didn't I mention them?”
“Uh, no”
“Must have slipped my mind then. Let's go.”

Hesitant, I followed him inside the large estate. This should be interesting.