Hellbound and Heartless

Chris' Clan

“Guys, I'm back!”

I heard rapid footsteps, and within minutes, a guy was standing right in front of us. He had a white contact in one eye, and the other was blue.

“Chris!”

He looked from Chris, to me, and then back to Chris.

“I knew you brought someone. I could tell the minute you entered the house.”
“Where are the others?”
“They're slow. And I think Ange and Devin are a little busy right now.”, he said, winking.”

Chris rolled his eyes.

“When aren't they?”

They both laughed.

“Oh, this is Ricky.”
“Hey Ricky, I'm Josh.”, he said, extending his hand.

I shook it and smiled politely at him. I still felt kind of nervous and uncomfortable around other vampires, even though I knew they probably wouldn't hurt me.

“Nice to meet you.”

Then, another person raced into the hall. He had long brown hair, and brown eyes.

“Chris, what's up? How was your hunt?”
“Great, Ryan.”

He glanced over at me, looking quite curious.

“Who do we have here? Did you bring us a snack?”

My eyes widened, and I felt the urge to duck behind Chris and hide.

“Stop it Ry, he's not a human and you know it.”
“I know, I just like messing with people.”
“Well quit it, he's new. I don't need you scaring him off.”
“Ooh, fresh blood? How did you manage that?”
“I didn't turn him, someone else did. I found him alone in an alley. He was pretty shaken up.”
“Well welcome then. I promise I won't bite.”, he joked.

Chris rolled his eyes.

Two more guys came down. Seriously, how many people live here?

“Devin, Angelo, nice of you guys to join us.”, Josh said.
“Are you two done fucking for the night? Cause if not, I'm outta here. I can't take hearing you guys any longer. It's disturbing.”
“Shut up Ryan.”, the taller of the two said.

He had long hair as well, only it was black, and his eyes were blue. Behind him was a smaller, more petite guy, with short black hair. He also had blue eyes. His face was bright red from Ryan's crude comment.

“Guys, knock it off.”, Chris interrupted.

Everything got quiet, and suddenly, five pairs of eyes were on me.

“Um, Devin, Angelo, this is Ricky. ”
“Hello Ricky, it's a pleasure to meet you.”, Angelo said, gently shaking my hand.

He looked back at the smaller man behind him, urging him to say hello. He only smiled and waved politely.

“Devin doesn't speak much, he's very timid.”

There was an awkward silence, until Chris cleared his throat.

“Well, Josh and I are going to hunt now.”, Ryan announced.

Chris nodded.

“Ange, you and Devin entertain Ricky for a while, I'm going to get his room ready. It'll be dawn soon.”

He disappeared up the grand staircase, leaving me alone, perched on the couch with two strange men that I had just met. They sat across from me, Angelo staring right at me with his piercing blue eyes. Devin was looking down at his hands.

“So, how did you become a vampire?”, Angelo asked.
“I'm not quite sure. All I remember is being at a club with a few friends, then the next thing I know, I'm waking up on the ground in an alley.”

He gave a questioning glance.

“Did you even see who did it?”
“I vaguely remember a guy asking me if I wanted a drink, but I can't recall exactly what he looked like.”
“Sounds like a Drifter.”
“A Drifter?”
“They're nomadic vampires. They go from town to town, looking for a meal or two, then leave. They never stay in the same place for more than two days.”

There was a long pause.

“How did you become a vampire?”
“Back in 1852, I was a poor man who had just lost his mother to disease. She was the only person I had left, and meant the world to me. So, I packed up whatever I could, and left town. I had to sell my small home in order to raise money for the train ride to France.”
“Why France?”
“I had always wanted to go there, even as a child. But on the day I was to leave, as I prepared to board the train that was racing towards the station, I was pushed into the tracks.”

I gasped.

“The train arrived before anyone could save me, and it crushed my body. I really should have died, but miraculously I didn't. I was lying in the tracks, every bone in my body broken, when Chris found me. He turned me into a vampire, and brought me back here to his estate.”

I was speechless. Angelo had obviously gone through more than I had. He deserved to be more upset than I was, and yet he was completely calm as he told me his story.

“I'm so sorry. You must be really upset bringing it up. I shouldn't have asked.”

He held his hand up to silence me, a sincere smile on his face.

“It's perfectly fine. You had no idea. I just try not to let it bother me, it was so long ago.”

Chris then came back down, descending the stairs looking like a dark angel.

“You guys getting along?”
“Yes, I was just telling Ricky about how I was turned.”
“Oh really?”

I nodded.

“You seem to be quite a hero ,Chris.”

He looked away, his face serious.

“I'm no hero Ricky. The sooner you realize that, the better.”

There was a loud noise from the hall, and in barged Josh and Ryan, along with a girl.

“Evangeline?”

Chris looked at Josh and Ryan.

“What is going on?”

They both had serious looks on their faces.

“It's them Chris, they're coming.”