The Rhine River Jewel

Chapter Two : The Rhine River Jewel

Ugh. My heads pounding, was what I first thought. I opened my eyes. Out of my left eye I saw the wooden top of my house.
“Ahh! PaPa! Sheik! Her eye! It’s!” Laby cried out.
“Bleeding,” Sheik said in a calm demeanor. I looked up at him. He had put my head on his lap for elevation. I felt my face. My right eye was bleeding. I couldn’t see out of that eye at all.
“What happened? All I saw was the shard coming, and then I blacked out.”
Sheik and PaPa looked at each other; PaPa was sitting in his chair by the dormant fireplace. “Labyrinth, give him the yellow bottle.” PaPa said.
“But PaPa!” Laby exclaimed. “She’ll be put under for a week! How would that help her?”
“Her eye needs to heal, and when it does we’ll go from there. Labyrinth, you’ll be in charge of clothing, bathing, and wrapping up her eye every five hours. Sheik, you’ll take care of keeping her hydrated and full of food. Laby, give Sheik the bottle, he’ll make sure she drinks it.” He then picked up Laby and left us alone in the room.
Sheik gently laid my head on the pillow as he got up. He keeled over me and drank from the yellow bottle. His eyes full of apology and pity as he kissed me. He opened his mouth so I would drink it. All I saw before I fell asleep was him playing with my hair singing my lullaby.
When I woke up this time, my mouth tasted of raspberries instead of putrid meat. I still saw nothing out of my right eye and it was bandaged. I was wearing most likely Sheik’s loose dinner shirt, and his loose pants he got for Christmas from PaPa’s wife, Nora. My light brown hair was in a long braid that went all the way down to my hips. Nobody was in the house. When I looked out the window I saw Laby crying into Nora’s arms coming this way from the doc on the river where PaPa and Sheik were.
I went outside and as soon as Laby saw me she broke the embrace and ran past me into the house. Nora ran after her. “Why was Laby crying?” I asked as soon as I sat down in between PaPa and Sheik. I was getting impatient with those two as they put me in a coma. “Why was she crying and why can’t I see out of my eye?!” I shouted at them.
“Calm down Eve. I’ll tell you.” Sheik said. “You remember the scrolls about the incarnation of Vera? The woman who died giving birth to her son? The guardian of the Rhine Jewel?”
“Yes? What about it?”
“Remember the incarnation was supposed to be a beautiful girl? The most beloved woman of the lands? The woman who was the best demon hunter? And the woman who was following in her footsteps?”
“Ya? And what are you going with this?”
Sheik took off my eye wrapping. All I saw was a deep black. “Close your left eye and what do you see in this picture?” he held up a picture of the Rhine River. The river we where on.
I did as he said and I could see. But all I saw was the river and a jewel floating in it’s midst.
Sheik brought a bowl of stilled water to my face. “Open your eyes. What’s so different about your right eye?”
I looked into the water. I’ve always had silver eyes. But now my right eye is as blue as the river.
“You are the reincarnation of the women Vera.”