Incestual Orgies and Other Fond Memories

Sofa Beds And Stapled Hands

Over the next couple of days, the atmosphere in the apartment settled in to an awkward sort of thick silence; the type that could be felt, suffocating and smothering.

The argument was hardest on Zack, though he was least involved. Being trapped in the middle of his best friends was almost unbearable. Not to mention, the overpowering secret threatening his
friendship with Alex and Jack if it ever got out.

Dealing with the tension in the apartment was taking its toll on him. He felt excluded by both parties; Rian was steadfastly ignoring everyone, going to classes without Alex and blanking them every other time he saw them, sleeping on the sofa to get away from them whilst Jack and Alex kept to themselves. In fact, Zack didn’t think Jack had even left the bedroom (was it still their bedroom? Or Alex and Jack’s?) since Rian’s outburst.

Because of the new relationship status, Zack had relocated himself to a sleeping bag in the spare room. The bed had long ago been moved into the main bedroom and he couldn’t exactly ask Alex to move it back, no matter how uncomfortable the floor was.

Privately, Zack was angry at the two of them for doing this. In one stupid, unthinking, drunk moment, they’d selfishly turned everyone’s entire world upside down. Especially sleeping arrangements.

Without them all crammed in to the one room, it just wasn’t going to work. And what would happen if Rian moved out? Then he would have to and god only knows where he’d go. Not home.

That was it. He had to end this now. He might not be able to break Alex and Jack up but hopefully he could get them to resolve things with Rian. And at least make living in that apartment slightly easier for all of them.

---

A horrible clanging sound echoing through the small apartment disturbed Alex and Jack. Scrambling towards the source of the noise, he was confused and surprised to see Zack standing in the middle of the living room holding two pans.

“Are you making pasta?” Jack asked hopefully.

This brought a look of incredulous bafflement from Zack. “No. I’m not. We have to talk.”

Right on cue, Rian opened the front door, after having returned from class. His expression instantly
turned stony at the sight of the three of them. He made to walk straight past them but Zack blocked his path.

“Sit. We’re going to talk like civil human beings.”

A resentful look flitted across Rian’s face but he obeyed and grudgingly threw himself onto one of the chairs.

Still standing, Zack began to speak.

“You need to sort your shit out. Alex, Jack, you need to decide what’s going to happen. Obviously everything’s different with you as a couple. Sleeping arrangements need to be decided, or if we’re going to move out. I don’t want that to happen but if it’s the only option I’m not going to complain. But we need to talk about it. I’m not going to let a five year long friendship be ruined simply because someone got a boyfriend. And if you lot are, you’re not the friends I thought you were.”

Alex had the courtesy to look ashamed. Rian just remained blank faced and unreadable.

It was Jack who spoke first.

“Well, I don’t want to fight with anyone. I’m sorry. I didn’t want to ruin everything.”

The look of utter defeat marring his features almost broke Zack’s heart. Apparently it had the same effect on Alex, judging by the way he quickly wrapped an arm around the younger boys’ waist. Zack tried not to let his jealousy show and distracted himself by turning to Rian.

“We didn’t mean to upset you Rian.” Alex stated. “We just didn’t know how to tell you. It wasn’t supposed to be some secret thing done to exclude you. It just happened, and we went with it. Besides, it shouldn’t change much. Everyone already thought we were in some kind of weird polygamous relationship anyway. Things can stay the same, can’t they?”

"No, Alex they can’t.” Rian’s voice was clipped and icy. “This fucks everything up.”

“It won’t!” Jack butted in. “We can still stay in the same room. We’ll get another bed if you want, you and Zack can sleep separately. We promise not to have sex or anything with you in the room.”

“Oh yeah, because that makes everything better.”

Out of nowhere, Zack felt a huge weight settle on his chest. He sunk to the floor and sat on the carpet, trying not to cry.

Instantly, they stopped arguing and moved to form a protective circle around him, their previous anger vanished.

“Zack, Zack, what’s wrong? What is it?” Rian asked, looking mildly panicked.

“Just please, please, stop fighting. I can’t deal with it. Please.” Zack was close to tears and this seemed to snap the others out of their moods. Alex quickly shooed Jack into the kitchen and the sound of the electric kettle could be heard, as well as mugs clinking. Rian stayed with Zack, an arm round him caringly as he rubbed Zack’s shoulder in comfort.

“I’m sorry. I’m not angry anymore, I promise. Just don’t get upset, please. We’ll work it out.”

This sudden change in view proved to Zack how close as a group they were. The second any one of them was threatened, the others did everything in their power to return the group dynamics to their equilibrium.

Alex re-entered the room with Jack close on his heels. Both of them carried two mugs of coffee each; Jack looking like he was about to implode from the concentration it took not to spill them.

Rian pulled Zack to his feet and deposited him on the sofa before sinking down next to him, continuing the hugging. Alex and Jack piled on too, the lack of space not an issue.

“We’re getting another bed tomorrow.” said Rian firmly. “Me and you will sleep in the spare room. Alex and Jack will stay where they are. But god help you both if I hear any form of PG 13 or upwards noises coming from there. I’ll staple your hands to the mattress if need be.”
♠ ♠ ♠
^-^ back to happiness ~~