Status: I've posted this story on other sites and figured why not put it on here as well. It starts out slowly, because the first few chapters mainly provide a background for the story, but it gets better.

She Always Gets What She Wants

Chapter 13

Brittany’s POV
I was seated at the kitchen table, feet propped up on the chair, knees drawn up to my chest and cereal bowl clutched in between as I read Gone With The Wind that was lying open on the table top. My brothers were also standing in the kitchen, having coffee and talking about some or other thing concerning the band.
Dinner with Frank and my mom the night before was kind of awkward after she walked in on the two of us running around the house. We weren’t doing anything wrong, but of course my mom wasn’t stupid and she kept shooting us curious looks throughout dinner. She didn’t say anything nor did she ask any questions, but I think Frank and I both knew that she was a little too suspicious for comfort. Even we were both quiet during the meal and that’s saying a lot.
I couldn’t believe we were so stupid. I knew my parents were both home the night before, but obviously I didn’t take that into consideration when fleeing from my room. Also it was the second time that someone caught us in a bit of a compromising position. Frank’s mom also walked in on us fooling around in the kitchen a couple of weeks ago. The irony of the situation was that Frank was the one who suggested that we should be more discreet and yet since then we’ve been more obvious about the little affair going on between us. Again, no one has actually caught us doing anything more than playing or at least getting along, but that alone is already suspicious enough since we were supposed to hate each other.
“We should have a get together tonight like a mini party.”
I looked up as I heard Mikey’s suggestion.
“We can invite all the guys and they can bring their respective girlfriends,” he continued. “It doesn’t have to be a rager or anything, just something to help us unwind after all the recording we did these last few weeks. We need it before going back into the studio, don’t you think?”
“Yeah, I admit that being cooped up with the same handful of people in such a tiny space for days on end is slightly driving me crazy,” Gerard chuckled. “Don’t get me wrong, I love you all very much, but too much is just too much.”
“I’m sure any amount of time with Frank anywhere in the world is too much,” I snickered, throwing my part into their conversation.
“Hey, Brittany,” Mikey started. “If you want to be at the party I would be quiet if I were you, because I’m not going to ask you to come if there’s a chance that you and Frank will be at each other’s throats the entire time.”
I was surprised by his response, but then again, I guess I would also be sick of us arguing if I were a third party always witnessing the banter.
“I wouldn’t worry too much, Mikes,” my elder brother spoke up, taking a sip of his coffee. “Frank and Brittany haven’t really been fighting so much lately. They actually seem to be getting along a lot better at times. But then again, maybe it’s only because they barely see each other nowadays,” he finished, giving me an inquisitive look.
I ignored his silent question and kept my gaze turned to Mikey.
“I live here and I’m your sister, but you’d still uninvite me in order to have Frank here? I see where your priorities lie, Mikey. I’m offended.”
“You’re always offended when it comes to Frank,” he shot back. “Besides, it’s not about choosing favorites. I just can’t not invite Frank when the rest of the band is going to be here.”
“And I won’t let him,” Gerard added.
I didn’t really mind Frank being here. Sure we still fought sometimes, but not as regularly as we used to and I also wanted to join the ‘party’.
“I promise not to make a scene, but can I invite Kasey?”
Mikey smiled in satisfaction, “I knew you wouldn’t be able to resist. Yes, she’s more than welcome. I guess that leaves me to get everything ready for tonight. Hey, Gerard would you mind letting everyone know that they should be here around six? I’ll take care of everything else.”
Gerard nodded, drinking at least his third cup of coffee for the morning. Mikey jumped off the counter and after a quick goodbye, left the kitchen. I was just about to return to my book when I noticed Gerard looking at me intently.
“What?” I asked, feeling a little uncomfortable.
My brother only ever looked at me that way when he knew something or when he was wondering about something that I didn’t necessarily want him to know.
He shrugged his shoulders. “Nothing,” he said, casually leaning back against the counter, but still not breaking eye contact.
I decided to ignore him and tried to concentrate on reading my book, but I was only pretending, because it was nearly impossible with him staring at me as if he could see through to my soul. It was quite unnerving, especially since I didn’t know what he was thinking. I don’t know how long it was before he finally put his empty cup in the sink, kissed the top of my head and left the room. I subconsciously relaxed as soon as he was gone.
I was always just going to be his mischievous little sister or at least that’s how I felt when he looked at me like that. He didn’t trust me as far as he could throw me, but then again I always knew that and I had no one to blame but myself. I’ll grow up too eventually. He just needed to be patient.

***

“Am I early?” Kasey asked, coming in the front door and not seeing anyone else yet.
“No, Frank and Gee are out back, firing up the barbeque and Mikey went to pick up Syd. I’m sure everyone else will be arriving soon enough too.”
“Everyone is already here,” Matt stated, slamming the front door shut behind him. “At least I’m here now so let’s get this party started.”
I rolled my eyes and informed him that the party was out back.
“Are you stuck being the door girl and welcoming everyone?” Kasey wanted to know, falling down on the couch and looking up at me questioningly.
“I’m not welcoming another person. Let’s head out back too. Gerard has the radio set up. Let’s go take over the music,” I suggested, grabbing her hands and pulling her up from the couch.
“How fun do you think this party will be?” she asked, following me. “I know your brother and his friends are pretty cool, but with all their girlfriends here, won’t they be on their best behavior?”
“What best behavior?” I asked, smiling at her over my shoulder. “Besides if things get boring, we’ll spice it up a little.”
She shrugged, “Sure. I’m always game.”
“Hey, Kasey,” Frank and Gerard greeted her in turn as we stepped out on the back porch and made our way to the music table.
“Hey, guys,” she smiled back.
“She didn’t look so happy to see me,” Matt muttered to them as we walked by.
“I thought you had a girlfriend,” my brother said questioningly.
“Key term being had. Yeah, that kind of went sour, but I’m okay. Now I can focus on the band,” he stated seriously.
“I like Frank better than that guy,” Kasey whispered as we started sorting through the CDs. “He’s so full of himself at least that’s the way it seems. Frank is cocky as hell, but he’s just kidding around. This guy actually seems to believe he’s the best thing ever to happen to the human race.”
I chuckled at her statement, “Matt’s not that bad. Yes, he has his moments where he’s overconfident, but it’s not a natural trait or anything. He’s actually pretty cool once you get to know him.”
“Cool like Frank?” she asked slyly.
“Oh no! I am not going there,” I exclaimed laughingly. “I don’t like him like that.”
“Oh, but Frankie rocked your world, didn’t he?” she teased.
“You are sick, just sick, sick!”
“Where is lover boy anyway?” she wondered curiously looking around for Frank.
I didn’t even notice that he was gone until she mentioned it. I turned around to look for him too only to see him come from inside the house with a pretty blonde girl in tow. All the guys hugged her as she approached the group and I couldn’t help pulling my face. I’ve never seen her before, but I could guess who she was and honestly, if I had known that she would be here, I wouldn’t have bothered coming.
“Hey, girls. This is Amy,” Frank said, stopping next to Kasey. “This is Brittany and Kasey.”
“You’re Gerard and Mikey’s sister,” she smiled at me in recognition. “I’ve heard quite a lot about you.”
Okay, Brit, be the bigger person. Frank said that there was nothing between them and you believed him. Like hell you did…
“Yeah, nice to meet you,” I told her, forcing a smile in her direction. “I’ve heard a bit about you too. Frank never stops talking about you.”
I saw his jaw drop at that last sentence and Amy started giggling like a school girl.
“Really? Frank, I hope you haven’t been blabbing out all my embarrassing moments,” she said to him.
Oh, I see how this is. She’s so into him!
“I haven’t said anything about you,” he replied truthfully, shooting me a sidelong glance. “You don’t have to worry about me saying anything bad about you.”
“Embarrassing moments?” I pried. “I’ll bet Frank was involved.”
I noticed Kasey also staring at me curiously.
“Well…” the blonde started, but Frank cut her short.
“ Uhm, let’s go get you something to drink,” he suggested, walking ahead in the direction of the kitchen.
Amy looked surprised by his sudden curt attitude and shot us an apologetic smile, “It was nice meeting you. We’ll talk soon.”
“Nice meeting you too,” Kasey and I said in unison and I waved my fingers after her.
I returned to scanning through our music options.
“Okay, tell me what that was all about?” Kasey demanded.
“What are you talking about?” I asked innocently not meeting her eyes.
“You just threw a jealousy fit!”
“Whaaat?” I asked, pretending not to have any idea what she was talking about.
“You are totally jealous!” she said accusingly. “Plus you’re a lying slut by the way,” she added. “I thought you ended things with Frank?”
“Would you please keep it down?” I quietly hissed. “Both my brothers are standing right there!”
I looked over to check if anyone heard her mini outburst, but all the guys and their girls were so wrapped up in their conversation that no one was even paying any attention to us. Amy said something and Frank cracked up. I tore my eyes away from them and looked at Kasey.
“I was going to, but…”
“You couldn’t find the time to do it in the three weeks since I found out about you two, is that it?”
“I…”
“Just give it up already! I swear by now you even believe your own lies,” she grumbled.
“Look, I’m sorry, okay? It’s just a little harder than I thought. Frank and I have fun together. Besides, what am I going to say to him, ‘Sorry, but I’m done using you for sex now so I’ll see you around.’?”
She sighed deeply, shaking her head.
“I’m telling you that this is going to blow up in your face.”
“Not if you don’t say anything,” I disagreed.
“Okay!” she said, holding her hands up to silence me. “I give up. I’m not going to force you to break up with Frank…”
“We’re not together,” I corrected her.
“Whatever!” she exclaimed. “But from now on, no more lies. I’m your best friend. You owe me the truth and in turn I promise to keep your secret…”
“Thank you!” I yelled happily.
“But,” she continued, pushing me off of her. “If shit goes down like you two killing each other or if anyone finds out anything about it I will be there to say I told you so.”
“Okay, I guess that’s fair,” I nodded with a smile.
“Now let’s see what booze your brother got,” she suggested, leading me towards the house.

***

Frank’s POV
I couldn’t believe it. Brittany said that she believed me when I explained why Amy gave me a ride home and yet the moment I introduced the two, she threw a jealousy fit. She thought she was all smooth about the whole thing, but I wasn’t stupid and neither was Amy, because the second we left the latter wanted to know what she did wrong. She could tell that Brittany didn’t like her. However, all she needed to know was that she didn’t do anything wrong and that Brittany was just checking her out. In truth I knew Brittany was still jealous as hell. I guess I should be flattered by her possessiveness, but I wasn’t. Sure I was elated by the fact that she at least cared enough about me to actually bother being jealous, but the fact remained that she had nothing to be jealous about. Instead she was acting like a teenager and embarrassing me in front of Amy, a friend and colleague.
I sometimes wondered whether this thing between me and the youngest Way was such a good idea. We were worlds apart. I was twenty two and I’ve been out in the world. I’ve had jobs and know that’s it’s not so easy taking care of yourself. Things are a lot different once you leave the little bubble you live in at home. I’ve grown up over the years. Brittany on the other hand was still a teenager. She was just a kid who didn’t really know anything about life, because she was still living under the protective eyes of her parents. Her idea of fun was hanging out and gossiping with her best friend and screwing around with hot guys. Yes, it was true that we had fun together and not just when things were getting hot and heavy, but maybe there was nothing more to it. It’s not like it could ever really work. We still fought like cats and dogs sometimes which was to be expected, because obviously we saw things differently. To top it all off her brothers would both kick my ass if they ever found out. The bottom line was that we were just too different.
“You okay?”
It was Amy who asked. She must’ve noticed that I was off in my own little world.
“Yeah,” I assured her with a smile. “I was just a little deep in thought.”
“I’ve noticed that you like to brood…”
Gerard burst out laughing, “Frank? Yeah, the kid has a lot of shit going on in his mind, he’s a fucking genius at times, but he’s hardly the brooding type.”
Amy looked at me in amusement and I stared down at my shoes, feeling a little self-conscious.
“He’s right,” I admitted. “I kind of like to speak my mind…”
“And it’s gotten him into a lot of trouble,” Gerard added. “Ask me, I know.”
Amy started laughing, “I guess he’s just a natural trouble maker then.”
“Definitely.”
“Gee, would you please shut up, you’re embarrassing me,” I told him quietly, making him laugh heartily.
“That’s okay, Frank. I won’t judge. I promise,” Amy assured me with a smile.
“Hey, Frank could you please get everyone another round of drinks?” Mikey requested, coming from the house with a tray full of patties to put on the barbeque.
I eyed the contents suspiciously.
“Don’t worry, I remembered to get you a vegetarian burger,” he smiled, pointing at one of the patties.
I grinned broadly and gratefully at the younger Way brother, “Thanks, Mikey.”
“No problem!” he called over his shoulder, twirling a spatula in his hand.
I was still smiling when I walked into the house and found Brittany alone in the kitchen.
“Hey.”
She turned around and smiled, “Hey, Frank. Are you having fun?”
I narrowed my eyes at her, “Don’t act all sweet and innocent now. I didn’t miss the jealousy attack you had earlier.”
“I wasn’t being jealous. I was simply getting to know the girl. I’m quite curious about all those embarrassing moments she mentioned. Maybe you can enlighten me a little later?” she asked sweetly.
“You couldn’t just act grown up for five seconds and say ‘Nice to meet you’ like a normal person, could you?” I asked a little annoyed at how lightly she was treating this. I was being completely serious about the matter.
“Uhm, it’s not like I was yelling profanities at her or accusing her of stealing my boyfriend. I kept it light, didn’t I?” she said, pulling a slight face. “Why do you care anyway? If I didn’t know any better, I’d say she was your girlfriend and that you’re upset that I antagonized her.”
She looked at me suspiciously, almost accusingly actually.
“Don’t turn this on me, Brittany. I care because I have to work with her, the entire band does and if you’re going to upset her, you’ll be making it difficult for all of us.”
“Oh really? Is that the real reason?” she asked, trailing a finger across my chest.
“Yes, now if you don’t mind, I’d like to go back outside and enjoy the rest of the night. Please behave,” I finished, grabbing her hand and returning it to her side.
I turned to the fridge and started pulling out drinks for everyone.
“If you want out you can just say so,” the blonde teen hissed behind me.
I sighed deeply, straightening back up.
“It’s not that, Brittany. I’m just tired of your games. You’re hot and then you’re cold. One moment you can’t keep your hands off of me and the next you’re shouting profanities at me. You pretend so hard not to care, but the second another female shows any interest in me, you flip out. I don’t get you and you know what? It’s getting tiresome. I don’t have time for games anymore.”
“So you do want out?” she said bitterly.
“If you’re going to keep acting like a bitch then yeah, I want out,” I harshly responded, feeling the hairs in the back of my neck stand up. “No, I didn’t mean that, but come on, Brittany. This is ridiculous,” I stopped, shaking my head. “We’re fighting like a couple and we’re not even together.”
“Only because my brothers would kill you.”
“Not if we go about it the right way,” I disagreed. “If we settle them into the idea of us or if I talk to Gerard about it…”
“You’re crazy,” she laughed. “We can’t. I hate you. You hate me! It’s as simple as that, Frank. Don’t forget it,” she said, storming out of the kitchen.
“Fuck!” I exclaimed in aggravation.
At least I now knew where I stood. She was still just the same person she always was and that was never going to change.
“Frank, can I talk to you for a second?”
I turned to see Gerard poke his head into the room.
I nodded and sighed quietly, “Sure. What’s up?”
“What happened between you and Brittany right now?”
I laughed humorlessly, “We had another spat, nothing new.”
“What was it about this time?” he wanted to know with a frown.
I waved it off, “It was nothing.”
“It’s always nothing! Come on, Frank tell me.”
“She was being a bitch to Amy and I talked to her about it. As expected she didn’t like me talking down to her so of course things got ugly, but it’s over now,” I told him, grabbing the beers from the table.
“Frank, wait that’s not all I wanted to ask you.”
I stopped dead in my tracks and turned to look at him expectantly.
He opened his mouth and closed it again before chuckling to himself and shaking his head. “I can’t believe what I’m about to ask you… Frank, are you into my sister?”
I snorted, “Are you serious?”
“Yes,” he said completely serious all traces of humor wiped from his face.
“No,” I answered his question. “I’m not. You of all people should know that.” I didn’t even have to pretend, because at that moment I really didn’t like Brittany all too much. “And you know what? I never will be into her, because she’ll never change. I tried to get along with her,” I said earnestly. “I tried, but as long as she doesn’t make an attempt there’s only so much that I can do. She’s hell bent on hating me.” That last part was absolutely true, because those were her last words to me.
“You know what? Forget I asked,” he said, grabbing the rest of the drinks off the table. “I guess I was just imagining things.”
“Yeah, you were.”
I stepped out the door and turned back to him.
“Sorry, man. I really hate doing this to you. I know it can’t be easy always being stuck between the two of us.”
“Honestly, no,” he replied. “But I’m kind of used to it after all these years. I think I’ve actually learned to just ignore it,” he laughed.
“That’s good,” I said also smiling now. “Now I can feel a little less guilty.”
“Oh no, you’re not getting off that easily!” he exclaimed, wrapping an arm around my neck.
“Shit, Gee that bottle is cold in my neck!” I hissed.
“I know,” he laughed, dragging me along and back to the party where everyone else was talking and laughing animatedly.