Turn to Black / Beware of the Dog

Chapter 1

James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin…and Peter Pettigrew. I remember all of their faces quite vividly; I can still hear their laughter in my ears. The Marauders, they called themselves, though not many knew about that. They were the popular and fun clique of friends back in Hogwarts, back in those years. And sometimes they were the bullies… except Remus of course, he was the most decent one, oh and Peter, he wasn’t quite as outgoing or charming as the others. He would be bullied himself actually, if he wasn’t hanging out with them at the time. Mostly everyone liked them, especially the girls. James, with his messy black hair and pride, the young seeker of the Gryffindor Quidditch team, constantly trying to get the attention and affection of Lily Evans. Remus, the smart and sweet one and, Sirius… well I was more interested in him. His wavy dark hair, warm hazel eyes, mischievous smile. His rebellious attitude and his success in all classes and Quidditch, it was obvious why girls loved him. Love is not the right word though, they drooled over him. I, though, wasn’t one of those girls. I didn’t like being a stupid girl. I was a rather proud Gryffindor student. I would mostly hang out with one of my good friends Alice, we sometimes hung out with Lily as well but she definitely wasn’t a fan of the boys. Well… for some time until, you know, seventh year when she finally started dating James. They always had that spark, the usual story; everyone could see it but them …
Back to Sirius, as I said I wasn’t one of the drooling girls, I was the girl who locked eyes with Sirius from across the classroom or when walking past him and his friends down the hall… or bumping into him in Quidditch practice. Sometimes catching myself staring at him during class. At night, in my bed, I would think of him, of those moments we shared. They must’ve never mattered to him, after all, we had never talked really. Not until our fourth year at Hogwarts. But no, I want to go back to our first year.
I was madly excited when I received my Hogwarts letter at the exact age of 11. My mother was a Ravenclaw back when she was in Hogwarts and my father a Hufflepuff. I remember my heart beating at my throat while the Sorting Hat was placed upon my head.
“Hmm...” it had said, “A smart one yes, loyal too, although not the ‘cunning and ambitious’ one are you? Not Slytherin, for sure, but a brave one most of all, daring. Yes, I know where you belong sweet girl, GRYFFINDOR!”. I was overjoyed. It was the unexpected for my parents, I was a Gryffindor. I felt welcomed, I belonged there, it was the best day of my life so far.
Hogwarts was home, for everyone I knew back then, it was enchanting, magnificent – still is - and I knew that the best years of my life would take place in this school.
I will get to the part where Sirius Black caught my attention for the first time. He was the best in Transfiguration and in one class he had turned a chandelier into a lion cub! Our teacher was overwhelmed, a first year, being so succesful in such a challenging charm! We were expected to turn our objects into kittens. Nearly no one had succeeded. Actually, I could have. I was a born Animagus. But I was shy, I didn’t like being an Animagus so I held myself back at my skills in transfiguration. He had roared with laughter when the chandelier turned into the lion cub. He was so proud, so clever, so electric. That year I never got the chance to talk to him.