The Opportunity Has Just Begun

Hockey Is...

Cameron's POV
Ice hockey is a lifestyle that so many people live. It comes in with brute force one day and never leaves, it completely takes over your life and it becomes all you have. For so many people it gives them hope and something that they truly can live for. When everything seems to be ending it is still there, still the same game to the core.

All the sweat, blood and tears, the pulled muscles, the stray pucks, the freezing cold ice baths that you are certain are going to give you hypothermia, the early nights preparing for big games and terribly long bus rides to cities miles away.

That has been my life since high school. Hockey has been my life forever and finally I get the chance to show the world that I can do it all too, that I can mix it with the best.

“Alright guys I know this season is short and I know you are all dying to get out on that ice but we have a few new faces around here…”

I tried to listen to the coach, I tried to pay attention to every word he was saying but I couldn’t, I was nervous. I was honestly freaking out.

The NHL is a big deal, it’s the pinnacle of ice hockey, the league that the best of the best play in and now I was too. I was in the NHL, I was a Pittsburgh Penguin, a professional ice hockey player.

“Cam you ok?” Sid whispered as I stared at my shoes.
“Huh? Oh yeah,” I nodded and pulled my knees up to my chest to continue listening.

“… and last but definitely not least Cameron Arnett.”

Sid gave a little cheer and slapped my back which of course got everyone’s attention making me blush and try to hide.

“Alright guys get ready and out on the ice in 15,” Dan slapped his note book on his hand before heading down the hall.

“Try not to worry too much you will do fine out there,” Sid lent over and nudged my shoulder with his.
“Thanks,” I offered a smile.

This was going to be hard, hockey was hard, but I was determined to show them what I could do.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright guys so I just spent my whole weekend doing Relay For Life, raising money for cancer and walking for 24 hours with my friends because 'cancer never sleeps' and lets just say I had a lot of time to think so I am going with this story over 'Teammates Don't Do Love' it was rushed and not what I wanted so enjoy :)