The Opportunity Has Just Begun

Facing A Sad Truth

“Adam,” I frowned looking over at him sitting in the chair beside the bed.
“Your awake,” he sat up and moved forward grabbing my hand.
“What happened?” I tried to sit up only to stop when I felt dizzy.
“You collapsed, I will go get the doctor.”

I wanted to stop him because there was nothing I hated more than a bunch of doctors but before I had a chance to protest he was gone.

"Miss Arnett," the doctor came over, "how are you feeling?"
"I am still a little dizzy but otherwise ok. What's going on?"
"Your glucose levels were really high."
"That's explains well I have felt so sick for the past couple of days," I grumbled.
"We think it could be diabetes," he spoke honestly getting the bottom of it.
"But surely..."
"I don't want alarm you, everything will be ok. We are going to keep you in over night, do some more tests to be 100 percent."

I sighed feeling completely defeated. Why did this have to happen now? Everything was just starting to work out for me in the ice and now I was going to be pushed back down. I just hoped that in some miraculous way it work out in my favour.

"Does my coach know?" I looked at Adam standing shyly by the door as the doctor left.
"Yeah I borrowed your phone, I hope you don't mind."
"No, not at all."
"They said they would be here once they got out of a meeting."
"Ok."
"You can sit back down," I gestured to the chair finally mustering up the energy to pull myself up.

I watched him as he sat down. He looked worried but I was too busy feeling bad for ruining lunch.

"I am sorry."
"For what?" He looked up from where he had been staring intensely at his hands in his lap.
"For ruining lunch."
"It's ok," he smiled reaching forward for my hand, "you didn't ruin it. It's probably the most eventful lunch I've had in awhile but that doesn't mean it was bad."
"Still, I feel bad."
"Well you can make it up to me by taking me out for lunch when we come play you guys this weekend."
"Yeah if I play," I grumbled.
"Think positive, you will be ok," he squeezed my hand reassuringly.

We fell into a moment of just staring at each other and smiling before it was broken by a knock at the door.

"Sorry if we are interrupting anything," Dan appeared with Chris behind him and suddenly I felt so relieved.
"No it's ok."
"I will just go wait outside," Adam stood up and slowly pulled his hand away.
"Ok," I smiled waving a little as he headed out the door.

"How are you doing?" Dan sat on the edge of the bed.
"They think it is diabetes," I deadpanned, "I had high glucose levels."
"Shit," Dan muttered.
"Don't worry," but Chris didn't look bothered by it, "the medical guys will sort something out for you. Kadar is really good at nutrition too, he could help."

"How long do you think I will be out?"
"A couple of days? Maybe a week. Your going to need to figure out your food intake and exercise and work it all around medication."
"Hey, hey aren't you guys getting a but ahead of yourself, they haven't said for sure it is diabetes," Dan tried to stop us.
"And even if it isn't we still have to find a way to stop it from happening again," Chris spoke honestly.

As much as I didn't want it to be diabetes it didn't seem like there was anyways of escaping it. If it happened once, it could happen again and I couldn't deal with all of this again. I was a professional athlete, I had to be on top of my game.