The Opportunity Has Just Begun

Birthday Surprise

"Cam... Cam... wake up," I felt a large hand on my back and Geno's thick Russian accent drown into my ears as I woke up.
"What?" I grumbled pulling the blankets around me tighter.
"Wake up," he shook me again.
"Why?" I squeezed my eyes shut trying to hide any hint of what happened last night with Adam from him.
"We have surprise."
"I don't want any surprises," I pulled the blankets over my head.
"Yes you do everyone want surprise on birthday," he poked me.
"No," I groaned.
"Come on," he dug his fingers into my side.
"Geno," I laughed in protest, "stop it."
"Get up I stop," he continued to tickle me even as one of my legs flew out from the blankets and kicked him.

“Ouch, what that for?” I peered up to see his pouting face as he grasped his arm.
“Waking me up,” I kicked him again, “and that was for tickling me.”
“Fine not get present,” he got up and began to walk away.
“No Geno wait,” I scrambled out of bed, “can I have a shower first?”
“Yes quick,” he closed the door behind him as he left.

I got in the shower letting the warm water run over my aching body. It wasn't a bad ache more just finally relaxing after everything that happened last night.

Adam was nice and had it not been for Geno waking me up and reminding me of where my feelings were directed I probably would have been convinced that I could have wanted more than just sex from him. But maybe just sex from him wouldn't be so bad, if that was what he wanted.

I got out the shower and stared at myself in the mirror, poking at my face that would never be clear from pimples because of hockey. I racked my fingertips through my hair that was always a mess and being tossed back into a bun or if I really could be bothered into side plait. It was then that I noticed the bruises on my neck where Adam had left two generous marks.

“What are you some kind of vampire?” I sent Adam a text message before leaving it on the bed to get dressed.

I put on my sweatpants and a big jumper, checking a final time in the mirror that nobody could see the bruises before heading downstairs.

“Morning,” I plodded into the kitchen shifting my hood to cover my neck.
“Morning,” Sid looked up from the stove.
“Bout time,” Geno teased.
“Shut up,” I narrowed my eyes at him before noticing Oksana sitting at the table.

“Hey,” I walked over and took the seat next to her.
“Hi,” she smiled, “happy birthday.”
“Thanks... now why did you want me to wake up?”
“Sid make you breakfast,” Geno pointed to the captain standing in the kitchen.
“We just wanted to say sorry for yesterday,” he admitted shyly before turning back to the stove.
“Sid punch himself for it,” Geno spoke up.
“Beat himself up,” I corrected before staring at my hands in my lap.

Now I kind of felt bad for him. He really did care about me, he always tried to do what was best for me and took onto himself to be there for me, more than anyone ever had. Sid was normally always so sweet and sometimes we fought, but doesn't everyone?

I was seriously going to have to evaluate whatever kind of relationship I wanted with Adam. I wouldn't want to ruin the friendships I already had.

“Want surprise now?” Geno perked up stopping the almost painful silence in the air.
“Geno I thought we said to wait until after breakfast,” Sid sighed.
“No can't wait,” Geno got up and headed into the lounge room.

“How do you live with him?” I turned to Oksana who shook her head at him.
“I do not know,” she smiled.
“He's crazy.”

I got up and walked to Sid who jumped when he noticed I was right next to him.
“Happy birthday,” he spoke quietly.
“Thanks,” I put my hand on his back trying to break the obvious tension between us, “but you know pancakes and all this has a lot of sugar in them.”
“It's all gluten free.”
“But...”
“I brought them yesterday,” he pointed to a stack of recipe books on the bench all for gluten free food.
“Aww Sid,” I lent up and kissed his cheek just to get it out of the way.
“What was that for?” he finally smiled.
“For watching out for me.”

“Close eyes!” Geno called out.
“Why?”
“I say close eyes, close!”
“Fine,” I huffed closing my eyes.

“Your not going to let him do anything to me are you?” I spoke to Sid and reached out to grab his arm.
“No, you wait. You will love it,” he assured me.
“Put hands out,” I could tell Geno was standing right in front of me before he set my hands in place, “here.”

It was soft and it moved before it let out a little mew noise and I knew exactly what it was, “open.”
I opened my eyes and there sat a tiny little ginger kitten.

“He is all yours,” Sid smiled petting the little kitten's head.
“You guys, he is adorable,” I pulled the kitten into hug him.
“He just like you,” Geno laughed as he yawned and snuggled into the warmth of my jumper.
“I love him, thanks.”

I headed back to the table and sat down next to Oksana and fussed over the little guy with her.

“What you call him?” she scratched the fluff balls chin.
“I don't yet,” I shrugged looking down at him thinking over some possibilities.
“How about Sid?” she smiled.
“Why would I call him that?”
“Dedicate to him.”
“Why?” I frowned.
“He likes you,” she shrugged.
“Yeah, no,” I pulled my legs up so the little guy had somewhere to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you guys think. I am not completely sure if Sid should know about Adam but I think his reluctance and being shy should say that he does know.