The Opportunity Has Just Begun

I Want To Make An Impact

“Hey Sid,” I called as I walked into the office to find him staring at something on his screen.
“Yeah,” he broke out of his trance as he watched me take a seat next to him at his desk.
“Can I ask you for some help?” I shifted forward noticing the long email on his screen, “or are you busy?”
“No, no,” he turned back to the screen and minimized it, “we can talk.”
“I was wondering if you could help me out with some ideas.”
“For?” he pressed.
“You know how a part of the reason I am doing this whole thing is for charity and to show girls that they can do it too?”
“Yeah.”
“Well I was wondering if you could help me out with some things I could do for them, other than what we already do with the team.”
“Like what?” he put his hands in his lap looking more than ready to shoot ideas my way.
“You do that little penguins program right?” I snatched a pen from his desk and began fiddling with it.
“Yeah, why?”
“Are there many girls that do it?”
“Yeah there a more than you would probably think.”
“Well you in that case you wouldn't mind if I stole them would you?”
“Cam what are you on about?”
“I want to do that kind of thing too, you know, working with kids, girls in particular be something they can look up to.”
“You already are someone they can look up to,” he frowned, almost looking disgusted with the idea that I didn't think I was good enough, “Cam there are plenty of kids out there that looked up to you, not just little kids but believe me you aren't nothing.”
“I am not what I want to be though,” I argued, “I want to be more off the ice too. I want to prove to people that I can be more than just a female ice hockey player, I want people to know me as Cameron Arnett.”
“Cam,” he sighed turning in his office chair to face me and put a soft hand on my knee before using his captain voice on me, “you don't need to prove anything to anyone, you've done the proving, you already made it.”
“Yeah but it's not enough, I can't just coast because I made it.”
“No you're right you can't, but that doesn't mean you have to listen to any of those people out there saying anything about you.”
“Sid,” I groaned, “this is not helping me with ideas, this is you giving me the same lecture as my dad. If your not going to help then just say so,” I went to get up.
“Ok, ok Cam just stop,” he grabbed my wrist and pulled me back into my seat and put his hands on my shoulders stopping me from trying to escape again.

I hated asking other people for help. If I had to chose between sucking up my pride and dying I would choose death every time. That was why I was getting so short with Sid, it was hard enough to ask for his help let alone have him tell me what to do.

“How about you come to one of the clinics with me tomorrow then, I think there is about 5 girls in this class and I am sure they would love to meet you,” he offered.
“Ok...” I looked down at my hands in my lap.
“Hey,” he grabbed my chin and made me look at him, “any time you need anything just ask. I am your captain but I am your friend too, ok?”
“I just... I am sick of people giving me lectures about what to do, I just want a little guidance.”
“Ok I am sorry,” he squeezed my shoulder in a weak attempt at one of Sid's apologizes, “I just don't want you thinking you are anything less than what you really are.”
“Sid,” I warned.
“Sorry,” he chuckled, “I don't see why you are so touchy about this,” he turned back to his computer and continued on with what he was doing.

I took it as my cue to leave and all but ran back up to the safety of my room. I wasn't going to let my short temper and insecurities bring up anything between Sid and I. He was just trying to be a good friend and a helpful captain.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright guys I hope you are all liking this story everything has been so hectic lately and I really wanted to update this one. Also I want to let you know that I will be changing the name of the story to 'The Opportunity Has Just Begun' because I have made other plans with it and the name doesn't fit anymore so look out for it.