The Opportunity Has Just Begun

A Proposition For Sid

"Hey Sid," I wondered into the kitchen as he and Geno stood around the island bench eating breakfast.

"Don't you have a home?" I asked the big russian shovelling cereal into his mouth.
"Do, but no food," he shrugged through mouthfuls.
"Well have you heard of this thing called the grocery store? You should go there."

I don't know why I felt the need to attack him with comments and pick on him all the time, I guess he was just an easy target most of the time and he retaliated the most.

"I have a proposition for you?" I stated as I reached into the fridge to find some milk for my oats.
"Who?" they grunted in unison and looked at one another with skeptical eyes.
"Not you," I pointed to Geno who pouted at me.

"Have you been to the butchers lately? And Geno shut up," I called him out before he could say anything.
"Not for a couple of weeks," the captain mumbled through his food.
"Well have you seen the girl that works there?"

Geno choked on his food and spit milk all over the counter top clearly getting the wrong idea.
"Not know you, how say... bat for other team?" He smirked as he wiped the bench down with the closest cloth, "is hot."
"Shut up you galoot. That is not what I am saying."
"Sounds like it."
"Why are you still here?" I narrowed my eyes at him, "go play with Nemo or something while the grown ups talk."

He mocked as he walked away shouting out a teasing, "is hot Cam, just tell you."
"I have a boyfriend."
"Good story," he stuck his head back in the room before darting off.

"You want to set me up don't you?" Sid looked at me with disapproving eyes.
"Not set you up, just encourage you."
"Why?" He made himself busy with the dishes.
"Because she is actually really nice."
"And how would you know?"
"Unlike you I enjoy striking up conversations with people," ok so that was a lie but I was out for helping Sid hook up.

"Please, just talk to her," I begged not wanting to feel like the whole talk was useless.
"Ok," he sighed, "when I go to the butchers next I will talk to her."
"Good you can go now because we are out of bacon."
"What if she isn't working?"
"She will be, her dad owns the place."
"Her dad is a butcher!" his eyes widened to comic proportions.
"Yes and he will chase you with a meat cleaver if you treat her like shit. So be the nice Sidney Crosby we all know and love."
"Sid not nice," Geno butted in with my Nemo slung over his shoulder, "he just pretend, like your boyfriend."
"You," he looked back with a shit eating grin on his face knowing he was really pushing my buttons.

"I bet $10 he not get number?," Geno lent over my shoulder and whispered in my ear as Sid headed for the door.
"Your on," I turned around and shook his hand, "$50 says he gets a date."
"Deal."

I had full faith in Sid being able to get a date with her. Hell he would just have to stand there and look good and she would say yes straight away.

Geno and I sat down on the couch with Nemo and continued to play Army of Two. He declared that it would help is bond on the ice if I gave it a shot, which I really didn't want to but his reasoning had logic I couldn't fight.

"Geno you are supposed to come and save me. I am dying!" I yelled at him.
"I try. I get shot," he argued.
"You suck."
"You suck get shot first, I not get shot."

He came under heavy fire and even though I knew we were going to have to restart the level I still thought it was hilarious as his character dropped to the ground.

"Who sucks now?" I tormented.
"If you not get shot I not to rescue."

Our arguing was broken up when Sid walked back through the door looking rather pleased with himself.

"So?" I followed eager to know what had happened.
"I have her number and date tomorrow night?" He smiled.
"Huh! Told you," I pointed to Geno and continued to rub it in with a celebratory dance.
He groaned and reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet.
"Hand it over," I stuck my hand waiting for the $60 to hit my palm, "thankyou."

I was proud of Sid. It made me feel better about the whole thing between us and now I knew our friendship would be reasonable safe.