The Opportunity Has Just Begun

Sticking It To Them

Sitting in my stall and gearing up wasn't the same when I knew I wouldn't be out there with Geno and James. I didn't really mind that I was playing the fourth line but I was annoyed that I was being shoved out of my spot by someone I knew I could be better than.

"Don't worry so much, you will be back with us in no time," James smiled his shit eating grin. 
"Shut up," I grumbled.
He had been quick to tease me about being replaced but I was going to get revenge on him, some day I would get even.

I found my iPod and put my earbuds in to try and drown out everything that was going on. My mind had to be focused on one thing and one thing only, hockey. I couldn't be thinking about playing on the fourth line, I couldn't think about Iginla taking my spot for the rest of the season, I could think of Geno or Adam or anyone. I have to focus purely on the game.

"You ready Cam?" Dan singled me out as we were lined up waiting to go out on the ice.
"Yeah I am ready."
"Good, that's what I want to hear," he slapped my shoulder and headed out down the tunnel to the ice.

We were playing the islanders and there was a lot riding on the game, not just for me but the whole team. We knew there was a big chance we would be versing them in the playoffs and they were going to be a main contender so keeping up with them was well needed.

We came out full force, the first line being led by Sid and they were strong. I loved watching Sid play, he was strong and was all about example. But when Brooksy released one of his killer slapshot's and Sid copped it in the face I knew that was something I did not want to copy.

He wasn't down on the ice for long but Duper and Chris were there to help him off the ice.
"You ok?" I reached out and grabbed his jersey.
He nodded but I could see him wincing behind the towel over his mouth. He wasn't ok but it was Sid and he would do anything to not be put out of the game again.

I sat back and watched as the lines shuffled around me. Sutter moved up, Adams moved up, but me I stayed right where I was.

It felt wrong to be playing without Sid as our captain. We were left looking to any of the older guys who were willing to step it up.
I was going to take it as my chance to show Dan that I wanted this. Yes I was only on the fourth line but I could prove that I was meant to be more, that I could be someone the others looked to in a time of need.

"Cam I need you to play centre," Dan lent over my shoulder.
"What? I don't..."
"You've done it plenty of times in practice, now go!"

I scrambled over the boards, Kennedy and Cooke in tow.
"You got this Cam," Cookie tapped the back of my shin guards as he skated passed to his spot on my left.
"Come on Cam," Kennedy nodded.

I didn't think I was ready to play centre. I had never played it before, Geno always being the obvious choice and James usually stepping in if he was kicked out of the circle. Sure I had practiced as a centre but I didn't think I was ready to actually play it in a game. But I was being thrown in and had to try.

Straight from the face off the puck went back to Tanger, who passed it up the boards to Cookie and down the centre to me. Kennedy was waiting right there, getting in the dirty area in front of goal waitingg for me to take a shot. The puck rung off the post and connected with Cookie's stick as he crash the net.

"Yeah!" He turned to me, "that was a beauty Cam, fucking perfect!"
Even though Cooke was going to get the goal it was a well deserved shot for everyone.
"Nice face off," Tanger tapped my helmet as I skated towards the bench.

Dan watched me, a small smile on his face like he was trying to hide how proud he was but I could see right through it.
"Good job," he mouthed.

I was left feeling pleased with myself, being a part of the opening goal, I couldn't have been happier.

It set a high paced tempo with the team, the game was ours from then on and the Islanders had no hope.

"Good job team!" Dan clapped as he walked into the locker room, "well deserved and Cam you did bloody good out there."

All the guys cheered as I got the miner's helmet, Geno flashing a huge grin like no other.
I had nothing else to say but, "good game boys."

I wasn't much for speeches especially when I didn't have much to say. I was happy and proud and if they couldn't see that from the smile on my face then no words would ever describe it.

"Hey Dan," I caught out coach as he was about to duck out of the locker room.
"Cam, you did great," he slapped my shoulder.
"Yeah thanks, but um... How is Sid?"
"He's at the hospital they think his jaw could be broken, that was just what I heard at the end of the first period anyways. But Ray and I are going in to see him you are more than welcome to follow us in."
"Ok."

The game was over now and I was worried about Sid. For his sake I hoped everything was alright, but he looked in bad shape and the chances of it not being broken were slim.