The Opportunity Has Just Begun

Being His Crutch

I woke up with a pair of arms wrapped around me and Geno's face pressed into my stomach. He looked wrecked; his hair was a mess sticking up all over the place, his skin was still warm but he was pale as a ghost.

"Geno," I whispered running my hand through his hair to try and wake him.
"Geno," I repeated.
"Mmm," he groaned but didn't make any attempt to move.
"Wake up," I shook his shoulder lightly.

He mumbled something in Russian and tightened his grip around me, it wasn't exactly what I wanted him to do because the need to go to the bathroom was there but he was too warm and comfortable and waking him really felt wrong.
"Please, I will be right back."
He didn't say anything but let his grasp loosen enough that I could wriggle my way out.

By the time I was free and into the bathroom being away from him for a few minutes wasn't long enough. I needed time to refocus my mind on what was really important.

I stepped under the hot water and let it run over my aching body. I was tired, completely worn out, I had been up all night watching out for Geno to make sure he was ok and wouldn't do himself anymore damange. I felt bad for him and while I liked that he was seeking comfort in me it was making it hard for me to not to indulge in my own fantasies. Sure it could really work in my favour being with him right now but unless he wanted it I wasn't about to step in before he sorted his problems out.

I got out of the shower and realised I hadn't even brought in a change of clothes with me. I was going to have to walk out into my room wrapped in only a towel and hope to god Geno was still passed out.

I stuck my head out of my ensuite and darted across the floor to my dresser to snatch the first pieces of clothing I could find.

"Cam," I heard Geno mumbled as I tiptoed back to the bathroom.
"Just one second, I will be right back."

I felt relieved to finally be covered back up and ventured back out into my room.

"G, are you ok?" I sat on the edge of the bed and put my hand on his shoulder.
"Feel dead," he groaned burying his face into the pillow.
"Well maybe you shouldn't have downed that whole bottle of wild turkey."
"I drank whole bottle?" He sat up abruptly and grabbed his head like sitting was the worst possible thing he could have done.
"Yes," I chuckled at the disgusted look on his face.

He flopped back down onto the bed and I shuffled back to sit against the head board letting him rest his head in my lap.
"Apart from the hangover I am sure you have, how are you feeling?" I played with the hair at the nape of his neck.
"Not want to think about her," he sighed and closed his eyes to end that conversation before it really started.

"Well do you want something to eat? You should probably go freshen up," I suggested.
"Mmm ok," but he didn't look like he was ready to get up yet.
"Come on," I tapped his back and slid out of bed again not giving him any other choice but to get up as I dragged the blankets away.

"Hate you," he muttered as he pulled himself to his feet.
"No you don't, your just saying it," I swatted at him as he walked by.
"No, hate real," he smiled that goofy sideways smile and disappeared.

"Cam," he stuck his head back out of the bathroom as I was about to leave.
"Yeah?"
"I have other clothes in car, can you?" He rubbed his eyes and stiffled back a yawn.
"Yeah sure, are they in your gym bag?"
"You know me best," he smiled before closing the door.

Yeah I did know him. I knew the moment he showed up at my door that this was how it was going to be. Geno was going to become completely reliate on me, that's what he did. As much as he tried to be independent Geno was nothing without other people around and I guess he was nothing without me around. That's why he was here and not at Nealsy's or sitting on the phone to one of his Russian friends. When I really thought about our wierd relationship he always looked happiest when we were ok and the moment things went pear shaped he looked like his whole world had been turned upside down. I guess I just never thought someone could ever think that highly of me. 

After getting Geno's things and leaving them on the bed for him I headed into the kitchen where Sid was perched up on the counter next to the stove with a carton of eggs in his arms while Megan cooked.

"Morning," I smiled as I snatched my diabetes kit from the above the fridge.
"Morning," they both said in unison.
"What's for breakfast?" I peaked over her shoulder to see some amazing omelettes going on, "omelettes yum."
"Who said they were for you?" Sid teased poking his tongue out.
"Well since you can't eat solids yet they certainly aren't yours."
"There is plenty to go around," Megan looked at Sid with the eyes of a disapproving mother.

I loved Megan. She was so good to Sid and while initially I had hoped she would just be a distraction for him while I sorted myself out she became more than that. He was head over heels for her and I couldn't have been happier for him.

"How was the sleep?" Megan asked I sat up at the counter to get on with the tedious morning task of living with diabetes.
"Geno was up half the night with his head in the toilet but other than that he slept like a baby."
"I meant you," she smiled fondly as I felt my face flush red with embarrassment.
"Oh fine," I looked down at got to work on checking my blood sugar.

They were a little higher than my usual normal morning reading so I got to my insulin before Sid could have a sticky beak like he always did.
"They are fine," I assured him and zipped my kit back up before stashing it away.

"So where is Geno now?" Sid put the eggs down and grabbed out a few plates from the cupboard.
"He is just having a shower to liven up a little."
"Will he have an omelette?" Megan slipped two onto their respective plates before starting another.
"Yeah I am sure he will eat anything right now," I shrugged.

"So is he taking it hard?" Megan continued as Sid got to making himself a protein shake.
"Yeah but I am just glad he knows now, I guess he has kind of being living in one big lie for the past month or so."
"Poor thing," she shook her head.

Poor thing was an understatement. Geno looked like he had the life sucked out of him last night and it was only going to get worse before it got better. But I was going to try and be here for him no matter what.