The Opportunity Has Just Begun

I Don't Like Him Being This Way

Game 1 against the Islanders had been a success, we had shredded it up 5-0 and I knew from that point on we were going to be fine. Or so I thought. With Sid back we were certain would be a shoe in for game 2, but that wasn't going to happen. Losing like that killed everyone, it wasn't like losing a game during the regular season, every game now counted and to go down in the last period sucked.

Seeing the guys so nervous about these games was making me feel like the rug was going to be pulled out from under our feet at any given moment. I wanted them to believe we would fine, I wanted to make the best of every situation put in front of us, I wanted no one to doubt and for all to do their best.

Geno was sitting in his stall, still dressed in his gear, knees bouncing as he clutched his hair. I don't know why he was like this when we had been playing great. The Islanders had their chances but we weren't going to roll over and let them get away with it, it was one game.

"Just leave him Cam," Nealsy warned quitely as he caught me getting up to head towards the big Russian a few stalls down.
"Why? I was just going to see if he was ok," I frowned.
"No... Just, let him be," he said before disappearing into the showers.

I didn't want to leave Geno alone, he looked so miserable and I didn't like to see him that way but in the same I didn't want to be on his bad side that I so often found myself treading to.

"Hey Cam you ok?" Sid came up and put his hand on my shoulder.
"Yeah I will be fine, just Geno looks a little stressed and I am kind of worried about him."
"He is always like this in the playoffs, his anger tends to get the better of him when we lose and he blames himself."
"Yeah well he shouldn't, someone needs to talk to him. After all it was only the second game."
"Just give him a minute before you do," the captain rolled his eyes at me, "I will see you at home."
"Ok cya."

I sat back down in my stall and waited for Geno. The guys began to file out but still he sat, his head in his hand taking this way harder than he should have been.

"G?" I spoke up into the empty locker room.
He didn't move though, didn't make a sound and I was almost beginning to think the poor was dead.
"Geno," I got up and moved reluctantly over to him.

He stood up and I thought maybe he was going to storm off wanting nothing to do with me, instead he just stood there towering over me in his gear and looked at me with confused eyes.
"It's ok G, you don't have to worry it was just one game and the Islanders aren't going to get away with it that easy," I promised before I reached up and wrapped my arms around his neck.

It didn't take two seconds for him to drop his head on my shoulder and wrap his arms around my waist. Even in all the hockey gear I still loved this little moment between us. He seemed so content with my presence, everyone else he just shot off but me he was letting in, letting me help him and that meant the world to me. It told me he could trust me and trust was enough.

"Just don't want to lose, lose everything else already, not want to lose hockey," he mumbled into my neck.
"I know it's been tough, but we are going to be fine and I always be here for you."
"I know," he sighed before pulling away, "thanks."
"It's ok, that's what friends are for," I offered him a small smile.

I never liked seeing anyone this upset but Geno was slowly wedging his way more and more into my life and I couldn't stand to see even the slightest bit of sadness on his features.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so I am not one hundered percent on this one but I have been trying to find the inclination to write it properly for days now.
I wanted something to show that their relationship is getting closer and building up and I thought seeking something in each other during the playoffs might be good. So I think this is the angle I am going with here.

Anyways hope you enjoyed it :)