The Opportunity Has Just Begun

When It Is Over

"Cam, Geno," Dan out his hands on our shoulders and drew our attention briefly away from the ice, "we need goals, you two need to score ok?" 
"We try," Geno nodded but he didn't have that usually driven look on his face, I don't think he believed we could.

"Come on it's our last chance, 15 minutes... Geno your line!" Dan shouted and we were over the boards and on the ice.

To say we were still positive that we could win this was beyond even my imagination. I had spent the whole flight to Boston trying to convince Geno that it was worthwhile playing and that we could beat Boston but I just didn't think everyone's head was where it should have been.

"He's just not playing right," Nealsy bumped his elbow into mine as we skated towards the face off dot by Boston's goals.
"I know but there's nothing we can do, he won't snap out of it."
"Say something to him, encourage him, he will listen to you."
"He's not going... Fine," I gave up as James eyed me telling me he knew there was something going on between Geno and I and he was going to listen to anyone it would be me.

"Geno," I tapped the back of skate with my stick to his attention.
"Huh?" he looked away from the face off dot and turned to me briefly.
"You can do it ok," I lent down next him where he was doubled over looking like he was hating himself, "there's still a minute on the clock, that's plenty of time alright?" 
"Ok," he nodded and turned his attention back to the task at hand.

I took my place along the boards and looked to Geno one last time giving him a small smile and a nod.

It felt like the world was going in slow motion as the puck dropped, both players reactions as quick as a cat as they hit at the slab of rubber. But Geno didn't make it, Geno wasn't the one that got puck, we didn't have possession and we knew it was over from then on.

"God dammit!" I heard Dan yell from the bench even as the siren blared signalling the end of the game. 

It was over we had lost our chance at the cup, in four short games we were done. If someone had have told me this was how it was going to feel to lose this way I never would have become a hockey player. It really did take a toll on you mentally not just physically.

"It's ok G, it's not your fault," I put my hand on his shoulder just before he could step off the ice.
He didn't respond though, he didn't even acknowledge I was there.

I guess something else I couldn't have prepared myself for, they way Geno would be. He took losing to heart, he always blamed himself and this would be no different, it would be worse.

Dan didn't even have anything to say to us in the locker room as we got undressed. It was quiet, no one wanted to talk and even if they did they wouldn't know what to say. 

Geno was slumped over the whole time, his shoulders down looking defeated. I wanted nothing more than to go and hug him but I knew he wouldn't want that, he always liked to be left alone after a loss. I stayed nearby him though incase he wanted to talk as we headed out to the bus that took us back to the hotel.

"Where are you going?" I asked as he wandered off through the car park instead of following the rest of us inside.
"Just a walk," he mumbled.
I wanted to follow him and make sure he was ok but he needed his space, so I let him be and headed up to our room. 

I wasn't feeling so crash hot myself so I took a shower before climbing into bed.

It was the whole season just caught up with me as I laid in the dark waiting for Geno to come back. Every muscle in my body ached I could bearly move, my eyes stung I was almost certain I was going to pass out.

I heard the door open and Geno walked straight in.
"I buy you these, know you need eat after game," he flicked the bedside light on and sat down on the edge of my bed before opening up a packet of skittles.
I used what energy I did have left to sit up and out my hand out so he could pour some of the contents of the packet into my hand, "where did you go?"
"Shop down corner," he took a few for himself and set the packet down on the bedside table.
"Thanks," I smiled softly as he stood up and moved over to his double bed.

I grabbed a few more skittles before turning the light off and rolling over to get comfy. I laid there watching Geno's figure in the dark as he got undressed and climbed into bed.

"I can't believe we lost," I spoke into the silence.
"Mmm."
"It sucks."
"Losing not fun," he mumbled.

I stayed quiet for a few moments only to be taken back when Geno climbed out of his bed and was slipping into mine.
I didn't say anything though, if he was using this as some kind of coping mechanism than fine, getting to cuddle in bed with him I wasn't going to complain. I needed him to be close to me but I didn't want to ask, he was upset and if he wanted me he would come to me like he had. 

"Night G," I grabbed his hand that was slung over my waist and squeezed it tight. He needed to know I was here for him no matter what, sure I liked him but he was my friend first and I loved him whether I wanted to admit it or not.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys sorry I haven't updated, it feels like forever but I have trying to figure out how to write this so I hope you enjoy. I think it might be ending soon though.