The Opportunity Has Just Begun

Doctor Geno

I couldn’t possibly have felt any worse when I woke in the middle of the night. My head spun, my stomach hurt, I felt weak and wanted nothing more than to be sick.

“Cam?” I heard Geno’s thick Russian accent full of sleep from his bed, “you ok?”
“I think I am going to be sick,” I crawled out of bed and made it to the bathroom just in time.

“Cameron?” he knocked on the door.
“No don’t come in,” it was one thing being sick but it was another being sick in front of someone and I couldn’t deal with that.
“You need help? Want Chris or Sid?”
“No, no if you get Chris he won’t let me play tomorrow.”
“I get Sid, he help.”
“No, just…” I got up and flushed the toilet before washing my face and heading for the door.

“I am fine,” I opened the door trying to put on a brave face but he could see right through it.
“Lie not throw up for fun,” he frowned yanking me out of the bathroom.

“You sick,” he directed me back to my bed, “you need drink and sleep,” he pulled the blankets back for me to get in.
“But…” I tried to argue as I sat down on the edge of the bed.
“Cameron,” he sighed, “you sick, stop so get better.”
“But I really am fine,” I tried to lie again but it didn’t work, there was no way I could hide it.
“Here,” he handed me the waste basket.

“I not tell Chris but you need take these,” he headed over to the table and sifted through his bag pulling out a packet of medication.

“Here help feel better,” he fished out two pills and handed them to me.
“What are they?” I scrunched my face up.
“Panadol, take,” he insisted nudging my hand.
“And why should I trust you?” I narrowed my eyes at him.
“Sid give you same thing you not question him.”
“Yeah because he hasn’t killed me about a million times with his eyes,” I looked at him and he was giving me that exact look.
“Just take,” he grabbed my water bottle from the bedside dresser, “or I tell Chris.”
“You’re a terrible human being,” I gave in, taking the water bottle and downed the two pills.

"Now sleep," he insisted gesturing to the bed.
"I can't," I shook my head.

My stomach was too sore, my head hurt, I felt dizzy and I really didn't want to be throwing up again.

"We watch tv then," he grabbed the remote and made himself comfortable sitting on my bed.
"What are you doing?" I frowned as he didn't look like he was about to move.
"Fact, sleep better with people," he put my pillow in his lap, "I help."
"That's not a fact and how would you help me sleep?"
"Girlfriend says am like teddy," he shrugged, "teddies help people sleep."
"Right."

I was kind of glad he reminded me that he did in fact have a girlfriend and that none of this meant anything. He was just being a good friend helping me out.

It was just like Sid, he was always there for me, he cared and was genuine. What you saw with Sid was what you got. Maybe it was time for me to cut Geno some slack and let him be there for me too.