Status: Please comment and subscribe! Thanks for reading

Beauty and a Beast

Bridge of Khazad-dûm

Arryn slumped to the ground and, she looked to her left, to see Frodo slump to ground, with the ground, with the spear sticking out of his chest.

“Frodo…”
She said, weakly.

She reached out and she took his small hand in her own. She looked up, and she saw Aragorn, Boromir, and Gandalf fighting harder to reach Frodo, they didn’t know about Arryn yet. The Troll flailed its head, and she realised that he grabbed Merry from his shoulders, and he swung him around, before he finally he threw him to the ground.

The Fellowship redoubled their efforts against Orcs and troll. Gandalf and Gimli took turns stabbing at the troll and dodging out of range. Legolas took aim, and Pippin stabbed the troll one more time in the head, the troll opened its mouth, and Legolas shot his arrow up into the brain through the mouth of the troll.

The troll stopped fighting and its hand fumbled towards its mouth where the arrow was. It stared upward, shocked, and with a long, pained moan, it collapsed to the ground. Pippin was thrown against the paper littered floor. There is a moment of silence. All Orcs are dead or have fled.

Gandalf rushed to Frodo, as did Aragorn, and Sam walked slowly over.

“Oh no!”
Aragorn said, as he rolled him over. Arryn smiled weakly, as Frodo groaned, and he gasped for breath.

“He’s alive…”
Sam said, turning to Gandalf, who sighed in relief.

“I’m all right, I’m not hurt…”
Frodo said, reassuringly.

“You should be dead! That spear would have skewered a wild boar…”
Her brother said.

“Or elf………”
Arryn said, weakly, clutching her stomach.

“Arryn!”
She heard her brother say, as he crawled over to her, and he tried to sit her up. His eyes strayed to where her hands were, and he gently moved them. He saw the dark blood spreading about her tunic. She covered her hands, and she coughed. She moved her hands away and she saw specs of dark blood splattered on her hands.

“I’m……”
She began, but he cut her off.

“Don’t you dare say that Arryn…You’re not fine…”
Her brother protested. He sat her up, and he kept a steady arm around her shoulders.

“I think there’s more to this Hobbit than meets the eye…”
Gandalf said, with a twinkle in his eye.
Frodo unbuttoned his tunic to reveal the hidden Mithril shirt

“Mithril! You are full of surprises, Master Baggins…”
Gimli said, in awe.

The silence that had settled over the Fellowship was broken when Orcs were once again heard from down the hall.

“To the Bridge of Khazad-dûm!”
Gandalf said, wearily.

The Fellowship ran out of the rear door of the chamber into a high, ornate hall of pillars with a ray of light breaking through from some high shaft. The Fellowship was closely pursued by an army of Orcs. Other Orcs sprung out from the floor or crawled from the ceiling and down the pillars, like spiders.

They surrounded the Fellowship, who drew their weapons outward in a circle, Arryn never once leaving the protection of her brother. The Orcs snarled and leered at the frightened faces. Just then, a fiery light appeared at the end of a hall followed by a thunderous rumble. The Orcs fled, in all directions.

The Fellowship are left alone. Gandalf stared down the hall.

“What is this new devilry?”
Boromir asked, in a low voice

Gandalf didn’t respond for a moment. He closed his eyes, concentrating. The rumble was heard again, and it echoed throughout the hall. Gandalf opened his eyes, and they looked grim and solemn.

“A Balrog— a demon of the ancient world.”
Gandalf said, in a low voice

The thing growled still hidden around a corner of the vast hall, and it was throwing fiery light on the pillars. Legolas’ eyes showed only fear— he clearly knew what the creature was.

“This foe is beyond any of you…”
He turned to look at the terrified expressions written on the Fellowships faces
“Run!”

The Fellowship ran in-between the rows of pillars and they came to a small doorway in the wall. Gandalf shepherded them through.

“Quickly!”
He urged.

He cast one last glance behind him, before following

The Fellowship entered a passageway and went down a flight of steps. The flight ended with a missing segment, and Boromir nearly fell into fires below but Legolas grabbed him and pulled him back. His torch whirled away into the vast underworld beneath; the Hobbits too stopped short of falling in. Last of all comes a weary Gandalf, who leaned upon a wall.

“Gandalf!”
Her brother said, he gave Arryn to Legolas, trusting him with her care.

“Lead them on, Aragorn! The bridge is near!”
Gandalf said wearily.

They both looked across a wide space to a long bridge spanning the gap between a hall and a cliff face. Behind them, the Balrog roared again.

Aragorn moved towards Gandalf, but Gandalf pushed Aragorn roughly away from him.

"Do as I say!”
He said, roughly

Hurt and confusion registered onto Aragorn’s face.

“Swords are no more use here!”
He said.

The Balrog roared again, and the Fellowship descended a flight of stairs twisting into the fiery depths, rising from the ground far below. The Fellowship encountered a gap in the stairs. Legolas leaped forward and he landed on the other side.

The Balrog’s rumble tore through the fiery light. Foundations splintered and crumbled, sending huge rocks tumbling into the depths.

“Arryn…”
He beckoned. She cast a look over to her brother, who nodded to her. She took a deep breath and despite the pain she was in, she leaped across the gap.

Legolas caught her, and he set her down beside him. Arrows whistled into the air from a far ledge, striking the stone steps at their feet, where Arryn had stood only but a moment ago. Legolas shot back. His arrow rose through the air and it pierced the skull of an Orc. The Orc tumbled down from his ledge.

Gandalf jumped after her, and he landed just a little ways in front of Arryn

“Merry! Pippin!”
Boromir grabbed the two Hobbits, and he leaped across the gap.
A fierce exchange of arrows followed from the stairs to the ledge.

“Sam…”
Her brother pitched Sam to the other side, where he was caught by Boromir

Aragorn reached to pick up Gimli, who held up his hand.
“Nobody tosses a Dwarf!”
He said, firmly, before leaping forward. He nearly fell into the chasm, if Legolas did not grab his beard, and pulled him up.

“Not the beard!” Gimli complained, but Legolas ignored him.

Some of the stone steps crumbled, and they fell into the abyss.
Aragorn pushed Frodo back up the steps and clambered after him, struggling up. Arryn gasped, at the sight of her brother nearly falling into the fiery abyss. They climbed to their feet and looked at the widened gap that separated them from the rest of the fellowship.

Aragorn lay a hand on Frodo’s shoulder.
“Steady….Hold on!”
He yelled.

The Balrog could be heard approaching from the other hall, it’s the fiery light growing ever so closer. Stone structures around the mine collapsed as it drew near. A huge rock fell from the ceiling and smashed through the steps behind Aragorn and Frodo, and it created another gap behind them, weakening the stairs’ foundation. The stairs began to wobble, and Arryn clenched her teeth together, to keep from shouting out. Aragorn held fast to his arm.

“Hang on! Lean forward!”
He shouted encouragingly to Frodo

“Come on!”
Arryn and Legolas shouted.

They shifted their weight forward, tipping the stairs across the divide and slamming them onto the steps where the Fellowship waited. They leaped across to safety, and many arms reached out to pull them over. Turning, they ran down the stairs as the stone structures collapsed behind them, crumbling and falling into the abyss.

Around a great pillar in a fiery hall came Gandalf, leading the Fellowship. A wall of flame whirled behind them.

“Over the bridge! Fly!”
He ordered.

The Fellowship fled. Gandalf did not follow, but he turned, looking into the wall of fire. A great form of black shadow leaped through the flames, its eyes of white fire, great ash-black horns curling around a bull-like head. It opened its maw, rippling heat pouring out with a rumble. Gandalf turned, running after the Fellowship. A great, black, cloven foot stomped down into the hall, bursting into flame. A narrow bridge of stone appeared in the fiery light, and the Fellowship crossed the bridge. Gandalf turned to face the Balrog.

“You cannot pass!”
He shouted.