Status: Please comment and subscribe! Thanks for reading

Beauty and a Beast

You Shall Not Pass!

From the other side, Frodo watched Gandalf and the Balrog.
“Gandalf”

Great shadow like wings of ash whirled around the demon, who was spreading its arms and burst into cracking, bursting, thundering flame. Gandalf stood beneath it, staff and sword raised.

“I am the servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor…”
He bellowed.

He lifted his staff and a blazing light radiated from it, which illuminated the entire bridge, and it encircled the wizard in a globe of endless light.

“The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udûn!”
Gandalf shouted

The Balrog heaved its arm upward, a sword of fire formed in its hand.

The Balrog struck down on Gandalf, who parried the blow with his blade, shattering the Balrog’s sword. Glowing embers ran off the circle of light around the wizard. The enraged monster bellowed at the Gandalf. Frodo gasped, as did Arryn. Aragorn ran forward.

“Go back to the Shadow!”
Gandalf said, through his clenched teeth

A thread of flame issued from the Balrog’s maw, and it stepped forward onto the bridge. The beast brandished a flaming whip, and lashed it about menacingly. Gandalf summoned the last of his energy, and raised his sword and staff together into the air.

“YOU...SHALL NOT...PASS!!!”
Gandalf shouted, as he drove his staff into the bridge, which caused a bright flash of blue light to appear. Flaring its nostrils, the Balrog stepped forward onto the bridge. The bridge collapsed from under it as it moved towards Gandalf, and broke before the wizard’s staff. The demon plunged backward into the chasm, still wielding its glowing whip. Gandalf, exhausted, leaned on his staff and watched the Balrog fall; he turned to follow the others.

At the last second, the flaming whip lashed up from the depths of the abyss and it wound about Gandalf’s ankle, dragging him over the edge. He clung onto the bridge but strained to keep his grip.

Frodo tried to rush forward but Boromir restrained him.

“No, no!”
He shouted

“Gandaaaaalf!!”
Frodo shouted, with pain in his eyes and voice

The wizard grasped vainly at the stone, looking into Frodo‘s eyes. He stops struggling, and then he turned to face Arryn, her hand clutching Legolas’ arm, tightly, tears brimming the corners of her green eyes.

“Amin wish, amin was i' er a' kwentra lle…”
*Translation: I wish, I was the one to tell you…”

Arryn stood there frozen, before he finally said, “Fly, you fools!”
At that he let go of the stone, and he fell into the chasm.

“No!”
Arryn shouted, her tears of anger streaming down her face.

“Noooooooooooooooo!!!!”
Frodo shouted.

Boromir grabbed hold of Frodo and started to leave up a flight of stairs.

“Aragorn!”
Boromir shouted, as he carried Frodo up the stairs

“Noooooooooooo!!!”
Frodo continued wailing, as Boromir carried him up the stairs

Both Aragorn and Arryn were stunned. They stared at the distant bridge in disbelief. For a moment neither of the siblings didn’t move, but then Orc arrows started whistling by once again, shooting at the companions. Dodging them, they turned and followed the others up the stairs.

The Fellowship came streaming out into the stark brightness of the day, contrasting the blackness of Moria,. Sam sat on the ground, bows his head onto his hands, and begins to weep. Merry consoles Pippin, who lay crying. Boromir tried to restrain Gimli as the Dwarf vented out his rage and sorrow. Arryn sat down, her stomach still burning, but to her that did not matter. The man who acted as a father to her outside of Rivendell, was gone.

In the blink of an eye, he was gone. She buried her head in her hands, and wept softly. She heard someone sit down beside her, and she felt a hand on her shoulder. She looked up to see that Legolas had sat down beside her. She gave a weak smile, before she fell to her knees, and she began to cough. Dark blood splattered against the white rocks. She nearly pitched forward, if Legolas hadn’t grabbed her before she did.

“Aragorn!”
He called.
Aragorn rushed over to the both of them. He lifted Arryn’s face up to see that all color had disappeared from her cheeks, and she was growing cold.

“Arryn…Arryn…”
He said, shaking her.

Her eyes snapped open, her green eyes red, from her previous tears.

"You cannot walk the distance." Aragorn said, and Arryn didn't complain

He turned to the others, and Arryn stood up, with the help of Legolas, and he gently lifted her up, and she curled into a ball, trying to push the pain out of her mind.

“Legolas, get them up.”
He ordered

“Give them a moment, for pity's sake!”
Boromir said, pleadingly.

“By nightfall these hills will be swarming with Orcs! We must reach the woods of Lothlórien. Come, Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, get them up….”
Aragorn argued, as he reached down and lifted Sam up.

“On your feet Sam.”

He looked around.

“Frodo? Frodo!”
He called.

Frodo, grieving, stood alone upon the stark hillside. Weeping silently, he turned towards Aragorn, a single tear running down his pale cheek.