Status: Please comment and subscribe! Thanks for reading

Beauty and a Beast

Halidir

Chortling, icy blue water gurgles across the dale. Aragorn ran up onto a rock. Framed against a deep blue sky, he looked past the mountains to the greengold woods beyond.

The Fellowship jogged across a grassy field, halting under the eaves of a forest of tall and shapely trees: lichen and moss cover them. Leaves twirled down to the earth. Arryn felt the pain subside, for a few moments, so Legolas set her down, and she walked like everyone else.

“Stay close, young Hobbits! They say that a great sorceress lives in these woods, an Elf-witch, of terrible power. All who look upon her, fall under her spell…”

Gimli said to the Hobbits.
Arryn smirked at this. There was no such thing as an Elf-Witch, but the Hobbits did not know that, and they did look pretty frightened.

“Don’t listen to him, guys. There is no such thing as an Elf Witch; I think that being cooped up in those mines of his, for about 60 years. I think that the darkness has darkened his vision of beauty…”

This made the Hobbits laugh lightly. It even made Frodo smile slightly. This surprised Arryn, because ever since they left Rivendell, she hadn’t seen Frodo smile once, so she was glad to see him smile again.

“The ONLY things in these woods are the Galadhrim or Wood Elves. They are solemn, but their hearts are pure, and they are in the right place…”
Arryn added, truthfully.

Just then, Frodo looked around startled

“Mr. Frodo?”
Sam asked, sounding concerned

“Well, here is one Dwarf she won't ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox!”
Gimli boasted.
Just then, an arrow notched and appeared before his face

“Oh…”
Gimli said, in alarm

Other bows at the ready appeared around the Fellowship. Legolas had his own bow out, pointing it at the owners of the other weapons. The Fellowship looked around, alarmed. A tall, golden-haired Elf appeared

“The dwarf breathes so loud, we could have shot him in the dark….”
The Elf said

“Grrr…”
Gimli growled.

Night was deepening amongst the windy trees. The Fellowship stood on a platform in the rustling foliage. The golden-haired Elf greeted them.

“Mae govannen, Legolas Thranduilion….”
The Elf said to Legolas.

*Welcome Legolas, son of Thranduil.*

“Govannas vîn gwennen le, Haldir o Lórien….”
Legolas replied, grimly.

*Our Fellowship stands in your debt, Haldir of Lórien.*

Haldir glanced at Aragorn.

“A, Aragorn in Dúnedain istannen le ammen……”

*Oh, Aragorn of the Dúnedain, you are known to us.*

“Haldir….”
Aragorn said, plainly.
Halidir turned to face Arryn, who stood beside her brother.

“A, Arryn in Wiccans, istannen le ammen…..”

*Oh, Arryn of the Wiccans, you are known to us.*

“Le hannon, Halidir. Ta has been sai an coiasira since amin had laid eyes no’ i’ woods en’ Lothlórien…”

*Thank you Halidir. It has been a very long time since I have laid my eyes on the woods of Lothlórien…”

“So much for the legendary courtesy of the Elves! Speak words we can also understand!”
Gimli said, sourly.

“We have not had dealings with the Dwarves since the Dark Days…”
Halidir said, coldly, turning to Gimli.

“And you know what this Dwarf says to that? Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!”

Gimli shot back, with the same level of coldness.

*I spit on your grave.*

Halidir leaned back, with a look of disgust on his face.
Arryn gave him an apologetic look, before she turned around and she smacked her hand, hard on Gimli’s chest.

“That. Was not so courteous…”
She said, her voice was both cold and deadly, in a threatening sort of way. Gimli seemed to recoil, at the sound of her voice.
Halidir looked at her, again, and what seemed for the first time that he seemed to notice Frodo.

“You bring a great evil with you…”
He said to Frodo. He turned to Aragorn.

“You can go no further…”
He said, before turning away from the group.
Everyone leaned forward to look at Frodo; Arryn gave his shoulders a squeeze. Arryn watched as her brother followed Halidir, and she heard some of their argument

“Boe ammen veriad lîn. Andelu i ven!
*We need your protection. The road is fell!*
Aragorn argued

Haldir whispered something back inaudible.

“Merin le telim…”
*I wish we may come with you.*
Aragorn replied.

Haldir answered quietly, again so that only Aragorn could hear his words.

“Henio, aníron boe ammen i dulu lîn! Arryn is wounded!”

*Please, understand, we need your support! Arryn is wounded*

Arryn looked away from her brother, and Halidir, and she pressed her hand against the wound in her stomach, she tried to push the pain out her mind, and she watched as Legolas turned to look at Frodo, who looked uncomfortably away, Aragorn continues to argue loudly with Haldir. Frodo, looking at his friends, sees blame that does not truly exist anywhere but in his mind. He is alone, and Arryn could feel it. She wrapped her arms around Frodo, and she held him against her chest. He seemed so………distant it seemed. Arryn could hear Aragorn nearly now pleading.

“Andelu i ven…”
*The road is very dangerous.*

“Gandalf's death was not in vain...nor would he have you give up hope. You carry a heavy burden, Frodo...don't carry the weight of the dead…”
Boromir said, suddenly.

Arryn knew deep down in her heart, that Boromir was trying to make Frodo feel better, but he was only making things worse, at least he was trying.
Merry, Pippin, and Sam made their way over to Arryn, and they all seemed distraught, and they needed some sort of comfort.
She gathered all the Hobbits close to her, and she began to sing to them, hoping that it would be of some comfort...

'I'm so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
Your presence still lingers here
And it won't leave me alone

These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

When you cry I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me

You used to captivate me
By your resonating light
Now I'm bound by the life you left behind
Your face – it haunts
My once pleasant dreams
Your voice – it chased away
All the sanity in me

These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

When you cry I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
But though you're still with me
I've been alone all along

When you cry I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me'

Arryn noticed that besides the muffled arguing between Aragorn and Halidir, everyone had gone silent. Arryn felt herself going red, and she looked up to see Halidir walked over to them, looking less than happy.

“You will follow me…”
He said, grimly.