Status: Please comment and subscribe! Thanks for reading

Beauty and a Beast

Departing Lothlórien

The mists of morning lay heavily along the river. Bare-branched trees arched through the fogs, stray beams of light fell onto the cold, blue waters. An elegant ship was out on the river, carved in the likeness of a swan, and Galadriel stood silently in it, clothed all in white. On shore, cloaks were fastened around the Fellowship members with green, silver-veined leaf-brooches.

“Never before have we clad strangers in the garb of our own people. May these cloaks help shield you from unfriendly eyes.”
Celeborn said to the Fellowship

Elves prepare for the departure of the Fellowship. Legolas was among them, shifting parcels into a set of boats provided by the Galadhrim. He held up a thin wafer for Merry and Pippin to see, as they sat in a boat.

“Lembas! Elvish Way-bread. One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man.”
He said, as he took a small bite from the Lembas

He walked up onto shore, leaving the Hobbits by themselves.

“How many did you eat?”
Merry asked, turning to Pippin

“Four.”
Pippin said, before burping.

The light of early morning set the leaves of the trees along the shore on fire with a blazing yellow. The sunlight streamed through the trees, but beneath their great trunks the land was yet dark, cast in blue. The swan-ship of Galadriel sailed by.

“Every league you travel south, the danger will increase. Mordor Orcs now hold the eastern shore of the Anduin.” Celeborn said, and as he was speaking, the Fellowship climbed into the boats.

Sam tried to steady himself, as though he was unused to boats. Legolas helped Gimli onboard, before turning to Arryn, who stood quietly, alone.

“Arryn…”
He said, gently.

She snapped her head up, deep in thought. He gestured to the boat, and she nodded. She walked over to him, and he put his hands on her waist, and lifted her into the boat. Meanwhile, Aragorn and Celeborn wandered through the heavy mist and sunlight, in deep conversation.

“Nor will you find safety on the western bank. Strange creatures bearing the mark of the White Hand have been seen on our borders. Seldom do Orcs journey in the open, under the sun, yet these have done so!”
Celeborn said, urgently.

The two paused, and Aragorn looked down. Celeborn held a dagger before him. Aragorn took it, and unsheathed it; its blade glinted in the sunlight.

“Le aphadar aen.”
Celeborn warned.
*You are being followed.*

Aragorn sheathed the dagger.

“By river you have the chance of outrunning the enemy to the Falls of Rauros.”
Celeborn added.

A paddle splashed into the water. The Fellowship rowed through the river, past the Elves onshore. The sun was reaching its rosy fingers over the hills; Caras Galadhon rose far away, in the mists. Voices sang with the rising dawn:

“Ai! laurië lantar lassi súrien,
Yéni úntimë ve rámar aldaron!
yéni ve lintë yuldar avánier
mi oromardi lisse-miruvóreva
Andúnë pella Vardo tellumar
nu luini yassen tintilar i eleni…”

*Alas! Like gold fall the leaves in the wind,
long years numberless as the wings of the trees!
The long years have passed like swift draughts
of the sweet mead in lofty halls beyond the West,
beneath the vaults of Varda wherein the stars
tremble in the song of her voice…*

The voices continued. A song of the sorrow of the Elves, of Lothlórien. As the boats moved further downstream, Legolas‘s eyes stared distantly. He smiled, remembering.

“My gift for you, Legolas, is a bow of the Galadhrim, worthy of the skill of our woodland kin.”
Galadhriel said, as she handed him the bow.

The Elf stretched the bow, testing it. There is awe in his eyes.

Galadriel smiled, and turned to Arryn.
She handed her a bow similar to Legolas’, except for hers was more feminine. His was an ivory black, and hers was a golden brown. She looked up at the Lady, her eyes thanking her. Lady Galadhriel pressed a small wrapped package into her hands. Arryn carefully unwrapped it, and revealed a dagger, with a jagged blade. It was a beautiful knife, with snake heads coming out of the handles.

Arryn looked up at her, and her eyes widened. She could hear Lady Galadhriel’s voice in her head.

“This for that use, and may others, but it will do the job for that reason…”
Arryn nodded, understanding what she had meant.

She smiled at Arryn, and turned to Merry and Pippin.
Arryn felt herself shiver at what she had said to her, and she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned back to see Legolas, watching her intently.

“Amin Tereva…”
She lied, but she made it sound as if she was alright.

His hand lingered on her shoulder for a moment, before he moved his hand away.

“These are the daggers of the Noldorin. They have already seen service in war. Do not fear, young Peregrin Took. You will find your courage.”
Lady Galadhriel said to Merry and Pippin.

The Hobbits remembered the meeting as they sailed downriver. Sam also recalled the Lady‘s gift to him.

“And for you, Samwise Gamgee: Elven rope, made of hithlain.”
She said to him

“Thank you, my lady.“
He looked sidelong at the blades held by Merry and Pippin, then looked up hopefully.
“Have you run out of those nice, shiny daggers?”

The Lady of the Galadhrim smiled, and turned to the next Fellowship member in line. It was Gimli, who diverted his eyes downwards. Galadriel spoke, her golden hair shining beneath the poignant blues and whites and greens of the forest.

“And what gift would a Dwarf ask of the Elves?”
Galadhriel asked, gently.

“Nothing.”
Gimli grunted, but then a change came over him; he looked up.

“Except to look upon the Lady of the Galadhrim one last time, for she is more fair than all the jewels beneath the earth.”

Galadriel giggled, and smiled at the Dwarf. He turned to walk away, then halted and turned back.

“Actually, there was one thing -- ah, agh, that's quite impossible. Stupid to ask.”
He grumbled.

Gimli sat in his boat with Legolas, and Arryn, with a faraway look in his eyes, a faint smile upon his face. From another boat, Aragorn glanced towards them, then away. He too was remembering the farewell on the shores of Lothlórien.

Galadriel stood before Aragorn and placed her hand on Arwen‘s Evenstar pendant.

“I have nothing greater to give, than the gift you already bear. Am meleth dîn. I ant e-guil Arwen Undómiel…pelitha.”
*For her love, I fear the grace of Arwen Evenstar…will diminish…*

The two shared a sorrow in their eyes.

“Aníron i e broniatha ar periatham amar hen. Aníron e ciratha a Valannor.”
Aragorn replied.
*I would have her leave these shores, and be with her people…I would have her…take the ship to Valinor.*

"That choice is yet before her. You have your own choice to make, Aragorn…to rise above the height of all your fathers since the days of Elendil…”
Her voice deepened ominously.
“or to fall into darkness…with all that is left of your kin.”

There was silence for a moment. Branches shook, a spider web’s glimmering strands swayed in the wind. Galadriel glanced at the pendant, and smiled.

“Namárië.” *Farewell.* "Nadath nâ i moe cerich. *There is much you have yet to do.*”

She looked into Aragorn’s eyes, with both sorrow and joy dancing in her own.

“Dan…ú-'eveditham, Elessar.”
*We shall not meet again, Elessar.*

Frodo sat in his boat with Sam and Aragorn. He heard the echo of her voice in his mind. Galadriel handed him a crystalline vessel shaped like a teardrop, filled with a clear water and a shining light.

"Farewell, Frodo Baggins. I give you the light of Earendil, our most beloved star.”
She said to him.

She kissed him on the forehead.

Back in the boat, Frodo looked at the glass in his hand, and glanced up at the shore. The Lady stood there, her right arm upraised, her hand adorned with Nenya. A golden band was upon her forehead and a white cloak was over her head and about her shoulders. She spoke to him, silently, as he passed by.

“May it be a light for you, in dark places, when all other lights go out.”

Frodo looked away finally.