Status: Please comment and subscribe! Thanks for reading

Beauty and a Beast

The Breaking of the Fellowship

Frodo stood upon the pale grey shore, and he stared into the distance, with the Ring on his palm, and it seemed to merely an unadorned gold band.

Sam ran through the woods.

“Frodo!”
He called, his small voice echoing through a small portion of the woods

As he was weeping silently, Frodo heard his voice speaking from his conversation with Gandalf in Moria.

“I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.”

He suddenly heard a voice rise in answer, to his surprise. Standing in the orange light of evening, Gandalf the Grey spoke to the troubled Hobbit in a vision.

“So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.”
The vision of Gandalf said to him.

Determined to proceed with the quest alone, Frodo closed his hand over the Ring, and put it into his vest pocket. He pushed a boat into the river and jumped in. Just then, Sam emerged from the woods. He could see Frodo paddling away and ran after him.

“Frodo, no! Frodo! Mr. Frodo!”
Sam shouted after the distant Frodo

“No, Sam.”
Frodo said, quietly as he continued to paddle away.

Sam ran into the river after Frodo. Frodo, heard the splashes, and he looked back.

“Go back, Sam! I’m going to Mordor alone.”
Frodo shouted back to Sam

“Of course you are, and I’m coming with you!”
Sam shouted back.

“You can’t swim! Sam!”
Frodo replied.

Sam struggled to swim, before he sank into the water.

“Sam!!!”
Frodo shouted in horror, as Sam sunk into the river.

Sam continued to sink deeper and deeper. He could see the sun shimmering up on the surface. His arm floated limply as he descended into the water. Suddenly Frodo’s hand reached down and grabbed Sam’s wrist. Sam tightened his hand around Frodo’s, as he pulled him out of the water and up into the boat and Sam tumbled in.

“I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise! "Don’t you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don’t mean to! I don’t mean to.”
Sam said, dripping wet.

“Oh, Sam!”
Frodo said, relieved on how seriously Sam was taking this, and he hugged his friend.

“Come on.”
Frodo said, as he and Sam paddled towards the Eastern Shore.

********

Boromir was laid to rest in one of the boats. His sword rested with him, his shield was above his head and his cloven horn was at his side. The boat slipped over the falls of Rauros and then dropped into the mists below. Gimli watched the boat disappear. Aragorn wore Boromir’s vambraces in his honor, and Arryn sat on a rock, and she cleaned and sharpened her knife, and her sword, she watched as Legolas shoved the third boat into the water.

“Hurry! Frodo and Sam have reached the eastern shore.”
Legolas said, as he pushed the boat into the river

Aragorn stood still and he said nothing. Arryn knew what he was thinking.

“You mean not to follow them?”
He asked.

“Frodo’s fate is no longer in our hands.”
Aragorn responded

“Then it has all been in vain! The Fellowship has failed.”
Gimli said, grimly.

Aragorn put his hands on Legolas’ and Gimli’s shoulders. Arryn stood up, grief filling her heart, and she stood beside Legolas, their hands brushing each other’s.

“Not if we hold true to each other. We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death. Not while we have strength left. Leave all that can be spared behind. We travel light. Let us hunt some Orc!”
He said, as he snapped his knife into its scabbard.

Legolas, Arryn and Gimli looked at each other, grinning.

“Yes!!! Haha!”
Gimli cried, gleefully, before taking off into the woods.

Arryn was about to follow, before she turned back to face the falls of Rauros. She stood there for a few moments, and it was like time stopped. She heard someone walk towards her, and she felt Legolas’ warm hand encase her own ice cold hands. She put her pointer finger, and her middle finger together, and she pressed them against her pale lips, and she pointed them towards the Falls, as a sign of respect, a thank you, and a goodbye. It was the tradition of the Wiccans to do that after someone close to them has passed away.

She felt a reoccurrence of her tears about to come on, but instead she turned to face Legolas, hoping that he would be able to calm her down. He looked down at Arryn, and he brought his hand to her cheeks, and he wiped a tear that was cascading down her pale cheek.

“He’s in a better place now, Arryn…”

She looked to the ground, and she said, “I know he is…”

He hugged her to his side, and kissed the side of her head, before they followed Aragorn and Gimli into the woods.

***********

Frodo and Sam stood upon a high hill beside a reflecting pool of water. A dark sky was before them, though light winged beneath it.

“Mordor. I hope the others find a safer route.”
Frodo remarked.

“Strider will look after them.”
Sam said, assuring.

“I don’t suppose we’ll ever see them again.”
Frodo said, sadly.

“We may yet, Mr. Frodo. We may.”
Sam smiled.

Frodo smiled, and he turned to face Sam. “Sam, I’m glad you’re with me.”

Frodo walked onwards. Sam stood for a moment, and then followed. They went down the rocky slope into a light mist beneath high, sunlit mountains, towards their destination. They have a long way to go, and a lonely road. So far from home.
******