Silk

Chapter 8

Not long after the pig incident, the guests slowly began to leave. Natasha sat down in a chair, making small talk with people she didn't really know, waiting for them to all leave. Anna Maria left almost instantly. She couldn't bear to stand the embarrassment. Louis hung back, waiting for his father. His father was a council member, and Harrison Grey was an advisor to Councilman Emelio.

The two of them discussed politics and other things neither of their children took interest in. Louis sat next to Natasha, quietly dabbing at his stained shirt.

"You know," he spoke up, "You have problems. Anger management problems."

"Don't go there," Natasha scowled.

"I'm serious," he looked up at her. "Believe it or not, I'm capable of being serious. You have issues that you need to fix before it's all over."

"Before what's all over?" Natasha frowned.

"Before every single one of your friends leave you," he said sternly. "When was the last time you saw Amelie Dodson?"

"I, uh," Natasha's eyes grew wide. "You are so right."

Louis shrugged, pouting his bottom lip. Natasha knew that something was bothering him, because as long as she had known him she knew that he became serious and easily angered when he was thinking too hard.

Louis and Natasha had grown up together, they had been raised by the same maid. When they were kids he would pull and cut her long black hair, and she would respond by breaking one of his bones. He was always smaller and had disproportional features as a kid. He had bad teeth and his ears resembled an elephant since they had grown faster than the rest of his body. He was shy, and his father hated it. Being a member of the council, Emelio wouldn't have his son be the fool in the picture.

When Louis turned sixteen, his father sent him away to a "military boarding school" for a year. Natasha never heard from him, except for an occasional letter he would write. When he returned, he was a completely different person. He had grown at least a foot taller, and his features were the right size. His teeth were straight and white, and his build was a little more muscular. He had no problem speaking, and spoke a little too much at times. Within a year, he had gone from being teased and called the "elephant boy" to becoming one of the most handsome young men in the new generation of wealthy children.

Natasha never felt even a twinge of romantic interest for Louis, despite popular belief. He was like a brother to her. He was annoying and she couldn't stand him at times, like many siblings, but still felt protective over him. Seeing Louis sit there and picking at his nails with a frown on his face only angered Natasha. No one was allowed to hurt his feelings but her.

As soon as she opened her mouth to say something to him, someone came running through the doors. Natasha looked up to see Sonja hurrying across the now empty ballroom, a small sack in her hand. She looked flustered, and Natasha suddenly felt embarrassed to be associated with her. She made a mental note to give the girl something nicer to wear, perhaps one of the old dresses she was to throw out anyway.

"Sonja," Louis looked up, crossing his arms over the stain on his shirt. "I thought you went home."

"Sonja, why did you come back?" Natasha rubbed her temples. "The help is always demanding more. I'm not giving you any more time off, do you understand?"

"I don't deserve that raise, Lady Natasha," she blurted, catching Natasha by surprise.

"You what?" she frowned.

"I didn't release that pig, ma'am. The whole thing was an accident. Please don't fire the chef," Sonja begged.

"The chef's job is none of your business," Natasha waved away the comment. "He's a fool, like the rest of you. However, no one saw him do anything. I have to see it to believe it, and I didn't see it."

"Plus he makes incredible cherry pies," Louis added dreamily. "And lasagna. He makes really good lasagna."

"Shut up, Louis," Natasha scowled.

"Lady, I'm so sorry! Please don't fire me," Sonja looked as if she was on the verge of tears.

"Why would I do that?" Natasha wrinkled her nose.

"Because I wasn't the one that released the pig," Sonja frowned.

"Exactly. You didn't do anything. You weren't as wonderful as I thought you were," Natasha sighed. "But since you didn't do anything, I have no reason to fire you. Nor do I have a reason to give you a raise."

"You're taking it back?"

"Of course I'm taking it back," Natasha smirked. "You thought you would be rewarded for honesty? Please, Sonja darling, this is the real world. Now go home and rest up, because tomorrow the real work begins."

Sonja quickly bowed her head, looking at the floor as she shuffled out of the room. Natasha sighed again when she was gone, and Louis turned to give her an odd look.

"Anyone else would've been fired on the spot," he gave her a sly grin. "What are you thinking about, Nattie?"

"About why you're still here," Natasha glared at him. "Go home."

"If I had a dime for every time I had heard that."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long to update! More comments would get faster updates though! :)