Silk

Chapter 1

Sonja awoke to the sound of birds screeching outside of her house. A stray cat probably got a baby and the family was calling reinforcements. The strays had gotten a lot more persistent and vicious lately. But Sonja could understand that. She would probably be insanely aggressive if that was the only way to acquire a meal.

Sonja sighed and rolled out of bed. Thinking of aggressive felines had brought back the memories of last night’s conversation with her mother. From this day forward she was to live and work at the Grey Estate, for Natasha Grey, a rude and vicious young lady. Or so she had heard. She had never come across Natasha, as the she was rich and Sonja was poor as dirt.

She had received all of the information on Natasha, from the girl’s last handmaiden, Meredith. Meredith used to be an all too cheerful girl who always looked at the bright side of everything. Sonja had always disliked her secretly, because there was never a bright side to anything. Now however, she simply felt bad for the girl. Meredith hadn’t lasted more than a month working for Natasha and now she was out of a job with no other skills than, ‘looking on the bright side.’

A knock on her door interrupted her thoughts, and Sonja crept towards the door slowly. She pressed herself against the wall and peeked outside through a crack in the wood work. You could never be too careless nowadays. People acted friendly and caring but they almost always just wanted to get close to you, scope out your living quarters and rob you blind.

Fortunately, it was only James Flynn, one of Sonja’s old friends and soon to be fellow servant. James worked as an escort at Grey Estate. And by escort, it should be taken as the poor soul who stands out in the sun all day holding a parasol over some rich persons head.

“Sonja, I’m here to take you to the estate. Your mother didn’t want you to walk there alone and end up in the wrong part.” James said, as she opened the door.

“Alright, just let me grab my hat. I couldn’t find anyone to borrow a comb from—

“Well I think your hair looks perfect.” James blurted out, his face turning a dark shade of red.
Sonja gave him a look, not a confused look, or a flattered look or an angry look, it was just a look. She always looked at him that way when he said stuff like that, it may have been because she grew up without seeing many intimate interactions or maybe just because she didn’t harbor any feelings for him. Neither of them knew and neither of them pursued it. Now wasn’t the time for love as love didn’t put food on the table. Love couldn’t help you survive.

It was a short walk to the estate, as it was huge and it was impossible to walk two feet without finding yourself on Grey property.

“When you walk in, you’ll see men in dark gray uniforms with red buttons going down the front. Those guys are guards. They’re really aggressive and lewd so don’t make eye contact and move quickly and pretend you’re stupid if they address you.” James said quickly as they passed two guards and entered the main building of the estate.

“Why did they let us in if they’re supposed to be guards?” Sonja asked

“They recognize me and they know that a new handmaiden is to arrive today. Now this is the entrance to one of the servant’s quarters. It’s in the basement of every building. I have to go, but keep heading down till there are no more stairs, and your mother will be their waiting for you.” James hurried off down the hallways and Sonja watched him until he disappeared from her view. To be honest she was a bit afraid of starting this job. There were so many things to remember, and so many people to try not to insult. It was overwhelming.

She headed down the stairs slowly, as there were only dim lights lining the walls and she didn’t want to break her legs on the first day.

Her mother was waiting on the last landing, a bundle of hideous yellow fabric in her arms. As soon as Sonja reached her, she thrust the bundle into her arms without a word. Sonja didn’t mind, the mother and daughter were never ones for greetings or endearing terms.

“What’s this?” Sonja asked, staring at the ugly fabric.

“The uniform that the Lady Natasha wants you to wear. I believe it’s either a dress or a muumuu.” Her mother responded.

Sonja winced but slipped on the piece of clothing anyway. It was so large that it reached her ankles, and hung off of her skinny frame. She was sure that this wasn’t in fact the uniform and Natasha simply wanted her to look like a fool.

She said nothing though, as she knew that wouldn’t change her ‘uniform’. “When do I get to meet the lovely Natasha Grey?” she asked sarcastically and immediately wished she could retract her words. Her mother always took everything seriously and despised sarcasm.

“You will address her as the Lady Natasha!” her mother hissed and Sonja nodded.

“Sorry.”

“Just don’t do it again. Now, do you remember everything I told you yesterday?”

“Yes; don’t make eye contact with the Lady Natasha, her father or anyone else who isn’t a servant. Report to the Lady Natasha’s room at Dawn and only leave when she tells you to. Agree with everything and do not give advice. And lack of emotion shows professionalism.” She finished and her mother smiled.

“Excellent. I think you are ready to meet the Lady Natasha.”