Silk

Chapter 2

Natasha sighed, sitting on the stool in front of her ornate silver mirror and brushing through her black hair. She set down the brush hard, frustrated with how her makeup didn't look as perfect as it usually was. She was used to Meredith holding a second mirror for her, perfectly holding it so she could see every angle of her face. Without Meredith there, there were microscopic imperfections on her face. There were never any imperfections on her face.

She had fired Meredith without a second thought about it. The girl was clumsy, and she was the last thing Natasha wanted to deal with. She turned to her bed, where a boy her age was sitting, feet propped up, mouth full of who-knows-what, and flipping through an old diary from years ago that was sitting on Natasha's nightstand.

"Feet off, Louis," she glared at him.

"Sorry," Louis mumbled, putting his feet down. "Who's Davis Hertz?"

Natasha's eyes widened, and she snatched the book out of his hands, shoving it in a drawer.

"Why are you still here?" she snapped. "Don't you have better things to do? I'm expecting a new handmaiden in a few minutes and I don't want her to thing I always keep the likes of you in my presence."

Louis grinned, shrugging his shoulders and standing up. He smoothed out the white button up shirt he was wearing and gave Natasha a sarcastic bow before he left, giving a young maid a flirty wink on his way out. Natasha rolled her eyes, smoothing out her hair one last time before going out into the hall, where she would meet the poor girl who was stuck serving her.

Her heels echoed through the hallway as she looked at everyone, looking for the new face. She spotted it waiting at the end of the hallway, talking to an older woman she had seen around the estate. A smile crept on Natasha's face, seeing that the girl was wearing the hideous yellow dress. It wasn't so much a uniform as it was an obedience test. And the girl was obedient, just like Natasha expected. They all were.

The older woman spotted her and bowed her head slightly, stepping back. When the girl didn't do the same, she gave her a glare until she did. Natasha waved the woman away, but the woman hesitated.

"Is there a problem?" she snapped, making the woman jump slightly.

"No, my lady," she spoke clearly, hurrying away.

Natasha looked the girl up and down, who was nervously playing with the hideous white lace of her "uniform". Natasha grimaced, smoothing out her own pale blue sundress.

"Never wear it again," she ordered, nodding for the girl to follow her. The girl seemed relieved slightly, but quickly wiped the look off her face.

"Your name?" Natasha asked.

"Sonja," the girl mumbled, looking down at her feet.

"Sonja, Sonja, Sonja," Natasha mused. "I like that. Write it down."

"What?" Sonja's eyes widened slightly.

"Never mind," Natasha scowled, "just follow me."

Natasha led the girl towards her room, but stopped in her tracks when she noticed Louis in one of the halls, flirting with a maid who looked uncomfortable. Natasha cleared her throat, getting his attention and giving the maid a chance to hurry away.

"I thought I told you to leave," she put a manicured hand on her hip.

"Who's your friend?" Louis smiled at Sonja, but frowned when he received nothing in return.

"Louis!"

"I'm sorry," he rolled his eyes, "but I heard something that you might want to know. Something about Ann-"

"We don't say her name!" Natasha shrieked, cutting him off.

"Well, I thought you should know that she's coming."

"Now?" Natasha turned pale.

"No, tonight. She'll be wearing blue satin," he said dreamily. Louis always had a thing for the she-wolf, despite Natasha's disgusted rants about her.

"Go home, leave my maids alone," Natasha ordered.

Louis raised his hands in surrender, giving Sonja one last half-smile before leaving. Natasha stormed out, Sonja following closely behind.

"Lady Natasha, may I ask what's happening?" she said, slightly panicked.

Natasha stopped, spinning on her heel. Her glare could melt steel.

"We are hosting a dinner tonight. You should've known, but since it's your first day I'll let it slide. And you better believe that I'll shine like a star tonight. Something much better than blue satin," she said it with disgust. "And you don't make me look like a star, if she wins, you better believe that both you and that old lady you were with are going straight home. Understand?"

"Yes, m'lady," Sonja said quietly, her voice almost a whisper.
♠ ♠ ♠
A short chapter, but it definitely will get longer! Feedback is love<3