Silk

Chapter 3

Sonja could barely believe her ears. She hadn’t been at her job for an hour and she was already being threatened with unemployment! And her mother as well! She couldn’t let that happen, but what was she to do? She had literally arrived there 30 minutes ago! And how was she supposed to make her mistress look better than someone she’d never seen before?!

She could now understand why everyone who had ever been in Natasha’s service hated her. The woman was unreasonable! And Sonja had been right about the stupid ‘uniform’, what had been the point of her wearing it if Natasha didn’t want her too? Did she just want to have a laugh with her idiotic and leering male companion?

At the thought, of the ‘smiling’ young man, Sonja shuddered inwardly. She found the boy’s gaze, unsettling. Why did he feel the need to smile at her like that? Rich people don’t give servants ‘smiles’; they just bark out orders and wait impatiently. Perhaps he needs to take a lesson from ‘Lady Natasha’. Sonja thought.

Sonja shook her head vigorously. No, I mustn’t think of that, I have to stay on task and find the Lady something to wear.

She strode to her Lady’s closet and pulled it open, colorful fabrics and some tacky one’s rustled as she opened the doors. She by passed all of the satin, as she figured that rich girls didn’t like wearing the same exact fabrics as each other. It was a pity though, because there was a beautiful blue satin sleeveless dress just hanging there, and waiting to be worn.

She pulled out several dresses and hung them up on the side of the wardrobe, for Lady Natasha to try on but when the girl didn’t move, she remembered that she was supposed to help with those things.

You cannot tell me that this girl can’t dress herself! She thought sourly. Ever since, the Lady had threatened her and her mother, she had been thinking a plethora of unpleasant thoughts about her.

She pulled a small foot stool over to her, and gestured at it. “My Lady if you would stand upon the stool, and—

What was she supposed to say? Pull the dress over your head? Step into it?
But before she could finish, Natasha snatched the first dress, a gray and blue draped one, and tossed it onto the floor. “I said no, blue!” She snapped, glowering at Sonja.

No, you said no blue satin! Sonja argued in her head.

“I’m sorry, my Lady Natasha.” She mumbled.

“You will be sorry if you don’t find me a better dress, and stop mumbling!” the other girl barked.
With the reminder of her earlier threat hot in her mind, Sonja found herself fumbling with the dresses and panicking. She didn’t know what the girl wanted! No blue? No satin? What color?!

Suddenly, Natasha shoved her out of the way roughly, “Oh just get out! Send in that other girl on your way.”

Sonja stumbled backwards and out of the door, horror seeping in her heart. Had she just been fired?

She turned around quickly spotting the maid who had been in the hall earlier, “Sh-She wants you- Lady Natasha requests your presence. I think she f-fired me.” She said, trying to keep her voice from wavering as she felt as though she was about to cry.

The maid nodded and placed a hand on Sonja’s shoulder, as she entered the room. “Don’t worry love; the Lady Natasha always waits at least a day before firing anyone. So you have time to make it up.”

And then she entered the rooming, closing the door behind her and leaving Sonja in the hallway, wiping her eyes to keep the tears from falling down.

So she hadn’t been fired, but how was she supposed to fix what she’d done? She briefly thought about going to ask her mother, but she knew that if she did her mom would just yell at her for being careless and rude.

And what was she supposed to do out here? Wait? Or go find something else to do?

As soon as that thought surfaced, a rich looking woman came striding down the hallway, muttering angrily to herself. “Stupid, brainless maids! I should have them thrown out of the city and sent to work on a farm!”

Sonja stepped back quickly, but her sudden movement caught the woman’s eye. Or maybe it was her hideous uniform, but either way, the woman was now heading towards her.

“You there! If you have nothing to do, come with me!” the lady yelled

Sonja started to say that she was supposed to wait for Lady Natasha, but an idea popped into her head. Maybe this was someone important, who could guarantee the safety and future employment of her and her mother! So she followed the woman, keeping at a reasonable distance.

They reached a large door, and waited in front of it for awhile before the woman, whirled around and pulled Sonja forward.

“Well open it, you idiot! Can’t you do anything right?”

Or maybe this was a huge mistake. Sonja thought as she struggled to open the heavy door. As soon as she managed to crack it open a little, the woman pushed past her and sat down in a stool in front of her vanity. She pointed at a large selection of perfumes, and said, “Spray me.”

Sonja grabbed a pretty looking perfume and pressed her finger down on the top, releasing a large cloud of blue water. The woman let out a screech of surprise, “Not that one!”

“I’m sorry, my Lady! Which perfume would you prefer?” she asked

“Just not that one!”

Why do you have it, if you don’t even like it? Sonja thought angrily, and picked up a fat bottle filled with pinkish liquid. The bottom and sides of it was a bit slippery, and she struggled to keep a hold on it.

“Well spray me, you fool!” The lady barked sharply, startling Sonja and causing her to lose her hold on the bottle.

The world seemed to slow down as the pretty pink perfume bottle hit the ground, shattering and enveloping both the servant and the Lady in a rose scented cloud.

“No! That was my favorite perfume, do you know how much that cost?” the woman shrieked, taking hold on Sonja’s arm and shaking her viciously.

“I’m sorry! I’m so sorry, my Lady!” Sonja cried, as the woman dragged her out into the hallway.

“I assure that you will be sorry! Who do you serve? Who is your mistress?!” the woman roared.

Was this it? Was this how her and her mother were going to lose their jobs?

“The Lady Natasha.” Sonja whispered, as they reached said Lady’s door.

“Excellent.” The woman hissed, with a wicked smile on her face.