Silk

Chapter 5

Sonja’s eyes widened in surprise when the newcomer glided over to the group, staring down her nose at everyone even the older women. She reminded Sonja of her neighbors’ prized hen. Whenever another chicken approached it with its head held high, the prized hen would charge towards it and keep pecking until the other submitted.

In other words, the girl looked vicious. And it was clear that Natasha held only dislike and contempt for her. Sonja wondered what could have gone down between them, to make her mistress stare at the other girl like that.

She noticed Natasha’s friend, Louis staring and came to a conclusion that he might have been the reason. Maybe the Lady Natasha, has feelings for him, but he only has eyes for this—

Sonja train a thought stopped when the girl got closer. She could now see that the girl wasn’t as pretty as her own mistress, and her dress was cut low to reveal a taunting view of her breasts.

“What a tart.” Natasha muttered in Sonja’s ear, and Sonja found herself nodding.

“May I ask who she is, my Lady?” She asked

“Her name is Anna Maria, and if I ever find you helping her or even taking orders from her, I’ll send you to work for my Aunt Eleanor forever.” The other girl hissed.

Well at least she wasn’t threatening to fire her anymore, but Sonja decided that working for that horrible woman would probably be worse.

“Yes my Lady.” Sonja replied softly.

“Oh, Nattie, you’ve found yourself a new handmaiden, I see. Still having problems with the help, I presume?” Anna Maria sniped as she approached them. “Honestly I’m a bit surprised. This one looks nothing like your last one, she’s a bit…Frumpy, don’t you think?”

Sonja seethed inwardly at being called not so subtly insulted, but before she could imagine herself strangling the other girl in her mind, Natasha stepped forward.

“Oh, Anna Maria,” she began, mimicking the girls’ manner of speaking. “I didn’t realize that you were so beside yourself, that you’d be so very interested in the subject of my employees. Then again, you have always found it hard to stay focused on one particular thing, so I’m glad you’ve found a way to entertain yourself.”

Anna Maria scoffed and her eyes darted around searching for something to change the tides most likely. Her eyes landed on Louis, who seemed exhilarated at the attention from the object of his affections.

“Come Louis.” she said sharply, grabbing his arm and pulling him away from the group and towards a group of older people.

Sonja cast a quick look at Natasha to find that the other girl’s eyes were narrowed in slits. Obviously she either didn’t like how Anna Maria latched onto her friend, or the way Louis left with her so eagerly.

Natasha turned her head quickly and glowered at Sonja when she caught the girl staring. “Don’t you have something better to do? Go help in the kitchens!” she snapped and Sonja left before she could take her anger out on her anymore than she already had.

Upon entering the kitchen, Sonja was relieved to find James cleaning the dishes in the far back. She made a bee line for him and tapped him on the shoulder gently.

“Sonja! H-hi!” he exclaimed, his eye brightening. “Wow, you look beautiful.”

Sonja blinked in surprise, not really knowing what to say. Should she trade words and tell him he looked nice as well? He didn’t though; his uniform was damp with sweat and steam from the dirty dish water. He would probably think that she was making fun of him.

Her long silence caused James to blush and turn back to the dishes. “So what are you doing in here? Shouldn’t you be with the Lady Natasha?” he asked, while scrubbing a plate vigorously.
Sonja sighed and told him about the events from earlier and the most recent one, while helping him dry the dishes.

“That’s rough-

Suddenly a high pitch squeal erupted from behind them and they turned to see that the cook had lost his hold on the pig that he had planned to serve as the main course. It bucked and kicked at everyone who tried to grab it and finally it burst through the doors to the ballroom. Everyone froze, and stared after the swine in horror.

And then the screaming commenced.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)