Not Good Enough for Truth in Cliche

Chapter 1

I sat at the dinner table, pushing my food around on my plate. I wasn't very hungry right now. All I could think about was the huge party Kayla Parker was throwing this weekend. The whole school was going to be there, and I desperately wanted to go. My parents were the only problem, they seem to love keeping me home. They never let me do anything.

“Juliana.”

I looked up through my bangs at my mother, who sat at one end of the large dining table.

“Don't play with your food please.”

I rolled my eyes, continuing despite her complaints. I heard her sigh and put down her fork.

“What's wrong dear? Is something bothering you?”

“Yeah, you.”, I thought.

“Umm, I kinda wanted to ask you guys a question.”

My parents looked at each other.

“What would that be dear?”

Well, here goes nothing.

“Kayla Parker is throwing a huge party this weekend. I was wondering if I could go?”

It came out more like a question, when I hadn't really intended it to. They eyed me suspiciously.

“Kayla Parker? I thought you didn't like her?”
“I don't, but Natalie's going and I promised her I'd go too.”
“What exactly would you be doing at this party? Drinking alcohol? Doing drugs?”, my dad asked.
“Of course not.”, I lied, knowing there would definitely be some people doing those things.

They stared at me, looking very skeptical. They knew I was lying, but I wasn't about to give up.

“Please? It's going to be the biggest party of the year!”
“I'm sorry dear, your father and I don't think it's a good idea. It's too dangerous.”
“But Mom!”
“No buts Juliana. You're not going and that's final.”

I was furious. Everything was too dangerous too them. It took them months to actually let me walk to school on my own. Sometimes I wish they weren't so overprotective.
“You guys never let me do anything! I'm seventeen, I know how to take care of myself!”

I stood up, almost knocking everything over including the chair, and stormed up to my room. I was definitely going to that party. One way, or another.