Status: I'm just seeing where this goes

I Am Sin and I Am Temptation.

01.

I met him on my first day at Beverly Oaks High School. It was an early Monday morning when we first spoke. I remember how we hit it off with the first word. It was purely magical. I was simply a goody-goody, grade ten, Australian transfer; and he was a popular, senior, student body president. Why would he ever take intreats in me? God, I remember it like it was yesterday.

"Well, you're obviously going to need a little extra help in your other areas," my new principal, Mr. Watts, said with a concerned look. He stood as he looked at my test results from the week before. His tall frame and broad shoulders made him seem a lot more intimidating than he actually was. "You're obviously a very bright girl, Penelope. Your math scores are incredible, but you're a little behind because of your transferring from a different country." He looked me in the eyes, and I could tell he could since the sadness in my gaze. He took a seat on the corner of his desk and gave me a slight smile. "But don't worry, our school moves faster than most schools, so that could also play a part in it."

"Yeah, no I totally understand," I said, nodding my head in agreement. "So what does this mean exactly?"

"Well, we obviously don't want to start you a year back, or even hold you back, so we will start you on a tutoring plan. You're a smart girl, and I know that you will catch on really quickly. However, to make sure that happens, I will be assigning you to one of our best tutors." He stood once again and began to search through his file cabinets. I watched as he thumbed through a large stack of papers. It wasn't long before he found what he was looking for and he was scribbling something on a post-it note.

"Here, you go, honey." He smiled as he stuck the note to my binder. "Once you get out of the office, you will go left and go straight down that hallway. You should keep going until you see a large sign that reads 'Tutoring Wing'. The doors should be open, and once you're inside ask for Joe."

"Alright, thank you," I said as I stood from the desk chair.

"I just want to welcome you to Beverly Oaks, and wish you good luck." He stood and gave me a firm handshake.

"Thank you, again sir," I said as I began to walk out of his office. "I hope you have a great rest of your day."

"Same to you, and I hope to see you back in my office again soon. Hopefully it will be because of your excellence and not for the opposite reason," he called after me. I returned his gracious smile before I set on my way. However, I couldn't pin if he was being inappropriately flirtatious, or if he simply always acts that way. I pondered the thought as I walked down the quiet hallway. The only noise throughout the entire school seemed to be coming from my black flats that matched my school uniform.

It wasn't long before I reached the tutoring wing. I took in one clean, deep breath and walked inside. It seemed to be an exact replica of the front office, except it had several extra rooms and school supplies. At the front desk sat a lightly, olive skinned boy with dark hair that was cut into fohawk.

"Hello," I said as I began to walk toward the desk. The boy quickly turned his attention to me. Although he seemed to be surprised by my presence, he flashed me a warm, confident smile.

"Hey, do you need help getting somewhere?"

"Actually, no I'm supposed to be here, but you can help me find someone. I'm looking for a Joe."

"Well isn't it your lucky day," his smile only seemed to grow larger, "I'm your guy, and you are?" His upbeat positivity was refreshing coming from a Beverly Hills teenager. He seemed to be different than the rest and to really stand out.

"Penelope," I said handing him the post it and my schedule that I had received earlier.

"Right! Of course! You're the new Aussie we've been waiting for. It's really great to be finally be meeting you. So, let's take a look here and see why you've have graced my presence the fine morning." He looked down at the papers I handed him and seemed to be in complete shock.

"Yeah. How did you know I would be coming," I asked a little shocked myself.

"Well, I am the student body president. It's kind of my job," he said still looking at the note. He began to bite his lip in, what seemed to be, confusion.

"Joe, are you alright," I asked at his long moment of silence.

"Yeah! It's just-- are you sure you're supposed to be here?"

"Yeah, the principal insisted that I come see you. Is there a problem?"

"It's just that I don't understand how a grade ten, that is in a senior AP math class, could need me for tutoring. Goodness, you're even in my math class." He looked up at me in a dumbfounded manor.

"Apparently my entry test scores would beg to differ. It turns out that math is the only subject that I know what I'm actually doing." I let out a nervous laugh to ease the tension.

"Really," he raised an eyebrow in my direction. "You don't come off as a girl who doesn't know what she's doing." He bit his lip again as he subtly lifted his head.

"Then you obviously have never heard of the saying 'looks can be deceiving'," I said, giving a light laugh. He could only shake his head and let out a chuckle himself.

"Alright, come on back." He stood and waved me to follow him to an office. He couldn't help, but to continue laughing to himself. "Sit," he said, gesturing toward the chair in front of his desk. He took the larger seat behind the desk. The office was well decorated. It was a mature color, so it had a certain level of sophistication. On the other hand, his niche for simply fun nicknacks gave the room a sense that a teenager owns it.

"So, what is it that we need to do," I asked, starting to feel uneasy.

"No much P, we just need to figure out a schedule that will suit the both of us." I felt myself beginning to blush at the nickname he had given me. Luckily, Joe had quickly turned his attention toward his computer. He would type some things here and then write some things down there. I could tell that he was a fun guy, but when it came to business, he was fairly serious. I understood how he would have been voted president.

"Oh, we may have a bit of a problem here," Joe said, staring at the computer screen. I looked at him with a concerned look, hoping he would continue. "It seems that I'm already booked during school for the rest of semester."

"Oh, well that's alright. I can find another tutor. Don't worry about it." I could feel my heart sink at my own words, but I wasn't quite sure why. I knew that I would never have any chance with such a grade a senior like himself. What could I really expect? He was going to be my tutor, nothing more or less.

"No, no. That won't be necessary. Penelope, I promised to be a great tutor, so that's what I'm going to be." His playful smile began to shine through again. "Listen, where do you live?"

His question caught me off guard, and I began to stumble over my words. "Uh-- in the Beverly Crest neighborhood. I moved in about a week or two ago."

"Really? Do you live in the house that was recently bought in the center of the neighborhood?" I nodded my head, amazed he knew exactly where I lived. "What a coincidence! P, I think we're neighbors! This will make after school sessions so much easier."

"Neighbors? You wouldn't happen to have a brother would you," I asked. I suddenly couldn't shake the image of the mysterious boy who I met a few days before. There was no way that the two could be related. One was dark and trouble just waiting to happen. While the other was a preppy, ray of sunshine. The two are complete opposites.

"Yeah, I have three. One is actually in your grade, but he's going through a bit of a rebellious stage. Nick Jonas is his name, and if I were you I would steer clear of him as much as you can, but enough about him. Find me at lunch, and I'll save you a seat. We can talk more then; and since we have seventh period math together, we can get start your tutoring at my house after school. Okay?" He began to speak, at what felt like one hundred miles per hour. I could feel his excitement bouncing around the room.

"Yeah, that's fine, but can I ask you something? Why would I need to steer clear of your brother Nick?" The feeling of interest towards the rebellious teenager had returned. The scene of him standing in his backyard kept replaying in my mind.

"Let's just say he's your average bad boy. He'll make you think he cares when he really doesn't. Trust me I've seen him do it a million times, and you're too smart for that, P. I like you, and I don't want to see you get hurt. He's a bad trip on a downward spiral."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ugh! I am so sorry. I have just been so busy and not feeling well enough to write. Please forgive me for taking so long to update! Life has just been really hard. Anyways, thank you so much guys for reading, commenting, subscribing, and recommending. Thank you so much it means a lot. Hopefully I didn't ruin it for you. Enjoy!

~Dani