Status: sighs

Sign Language

midtown

Mikey walked over to the other half of the duplex, practically jumping out of his skin when a stranger’s hand grabbed him by the shoulder. Some guy he didn’t recognize was babbling to him, only stopping when he noticed the confused look on Mikey’s face, which made the guy even more confused.

Sighing and rolling his eyes slightly, Mikey pulled his phone out of his pocket, opened up a new Note, and typed, “I’m deaf, sorry.”

The guy immediately grinned, taking the phone and adding, “Oooooh! You’re Gabe’s boyfriend, aren’t you? We’re having band practice today. I’m the drummer, Rob.”

They walked in together, and a couple other guys were already downstairs when they got there. Gabe grinned, hugging the dude and giving Mikey a quick kiss before they started practicing. Mikey couldn’t necessarily hear it, but he could feel the drumbeat and the bass, and he’d read some of Gabe’s lyrics before. They had to be good.

The next weekend, Midtown had a show at one of the local clubs. During the show, Mikey spent most of his time either grinning up at Gabe and moving with the crowd or avoiding Gerard’s attempts at “keeping him safe,” whatever that meant. Mikey could take care of himself.

After Midtown’s set was done, Mikey texted Gabe, ‘You guys sounded awesome.’ Because Gabe would understand that it wasn’t the literal noise that Mikey meant, but the feelings and vibes coming off the crowd and the music.