Somewhere We Belong

One

Aria stood on the bay with her bare feet in the water and her hair whipping around in the wind. She'd dropped her bags off at Rose and David's house two hours ago and had been out by the water since.

"Arianna?" The voice belonged to a curly-haired boy with freckles and glasses that were bandaged at the bridge. Aria laughed and knocked the old broken spectacles from his face.
"Where are your contacts, Daren?"
"Dunno." He shrugged, squinting at her. She sighed, rummaging around on his desk where the homework for his new college classes covered every inch. "You'd never figure that I'm the older one." He groaned, leaning his head back as she expertly handed him the little case where he kept his contacts.
"That's because I'm the responsible one." With a kiss to his cheek, Aria left his side and went to open the window as Daren put in his contacts. She called him to the window with a curious tone once he'd finished and he froze. "What is it?"
"Headed straight for us." He whispered. It was then that her depth perception kicked in and she realized that the object she'd been looking at was actually getting closer, and fast. She didn't even have time to cry out when Daren's body crashed into her's and knocked her to the floor. She barely registered him telling her to cover her head before he was covering her like a shield, and then the most awful sound ripped through the apartment and everything seems to shudder like an earthquake.
She didn't remember screaming, but her throat was raw when she next opened her eyes, and everything had gone still. There was smoke in the air, choking her, and rubble surrounded her. She saw Daren just a few inches away and she reached out for his warmth, only to find his hand cold. Lifeless. She thought she screamed again, his name, over and over, but by then there were people milling about and no one seemed to hear her. They were checking for survivors, which meant she had to have been out for an hour at least. She blacked out again as someone lifted her onto a stretcher, saying something about her being the only known survivor so far. She didn't remember anything else.


Aria blinked and realized her leg had gone numb and she shifted her weight, wading further into the water. The weeks after the incident passed in a blur, and when she was released from the hospital she found herself taking a cab to her apartment building, expecting Daren to be there waiting, but all she found was rubbish, and then she remembered that Daren was dead, and she was the only one left. They had no family to plan a funeral for him. She didn't even remember much from the funeral, either. She had decided the best way to deal with her grief was to keep going, and she did. That's why she went to work the next day, though she had felt like curling up in bed and sleeping for years.
"Aria. Look." His voice haunted her sometimes, and she knew it wasn't him, but she looked anyway.
In front of her, just a foot or so, really, was a red light bouncing up and down on the surface like a will-o-wisp. She went further into the water, to her ankles now, and reached for it, almost as if an unknown force compelled her to do so, and then it was gone. In it's place stood a man in a long coat and suspenders, his hand stretched out just like hers, fingers touching. She squealed and fell back, scrambling like a crab away from him, as well as she could in water and now-soaked clothes.
He, too, jumped back in surprise, but seeing her drenched in water and panicked, he tried to help her up.
"Hi." He said, offering his hand. "Captain Jack Harkness. You are?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I have been meaning to update this, but I forgot about it entirely and now I don't remember if this was going to be a romance or a father/daughter thing.
We'll see.
Many thanks to the lovely Hayley for reminding me about this story with her comment and for reading it.