You'd Be My Sun; You'd Be My Light

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

“So are we not going back to Kylee and Jake’s place?” Wil asked as we walked into my apartment after I got done at the shop.

I shrugged and took a seat on my couch, “Jake’s there now and Kylee is probably awake and whiney so he can deal with it.”

“Such a great friend you are.”

I raised an eyebrow, “Do you really want to be around whiney Kylee?” He quickly shook his head, “Yeah I didn’t think so.”

Wil took a seat, “So what are we going to do?”

“Well you don’t have to stick around here but I have some laundry I need to get done. I’ve kind of been neglecting my dirty clothes pile since everything with Kylee happened.”

“Yeah I can tell since you are wearing my sweatshirt.”

I stuck my tongue out at him, “Don’t be mad that I look better in it than you do, you shouldn’t have left it where I could find it and steal it.”

“You just have to wear it when you go to my race.”

“Oh? And who said I’m going to your race?”

“Well I just thought that maybe you might -” Wil’s cheeks began to redden slightly as he awkwardly tried to get the words out.

“Relax Wilbur, I’d love to go to your race. When is it?”

Before Wil had a chance to respond there was a knock at the door, “You expecting someone?”

I quickly shook my head, “Nope, might just be my brother though.” I stood up and made my way to the door.

The air left my lungs as soon as I saw who was behind the door, “Mike,” I whispered.

“Hey.”

“W-what are you doing here?”

“You’ve been avoiding me.”

“We broke up Mike.”

“I know but I don’t want that.”

“Hannah? Is everything okay?” Wil pulled the door open further to reveal himself to Mike.

“It’s fine, j-just let me talk to him and then we’ll head over to Jake’s.”

Wil gave me a look before nodding and heading back to the living room.

Mike raised his eyebrow, “So this is why you’ve been ignoring me.”

“Wil has nothing to do with why we haven’t talked.”

“Then why? Why won’t you talk to me?”

“Because there is nothing to talk about. We are over. I can’t do you and me anymore.”

“I just don’t get it. I thought we were working.”

“That’s just it Mike. We don’t work.”

“Just tell me why.”

“You and I are two very different people,” I sucked in a deep breath as I felt my eyes begin to water, “I love you, I really do but we want different things for our lives and I just can’t go where you are going anymore.”

Mike took a step towards me but I quickly shook my head brushing the tears from my face, “P-please just,” I took another deep breath, “Just leave me alone.”

He stood there for a moment before slowly nodding his head and taking off down the stairs without a word. I leaned against the closed door before letting out the sob I had been holding in. Wil made his way over but I held my hand up, “Please just don’t.”

I walked down the hallway towards my room and quickly pulled off Wil’s sweatshirt and replaced it with one of my own. When I came back out, I handed it to him and grabbed my bag from the floor.

“Why are you giving this to me?”

“Because at the moment I don’t feel right wearing it, can you please drive me to Kylee?”

Wil opened his mouth to respond but quickly thought better of it and close his mouth before standing up and walking towards the door. At the moment I didn’t care how drugged up or whiney she was, my best friend was the only person I needed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dang Mike Mason

Hannah

comments??