Status: Comments and critique are much appreciated.

How Long?

Chapter 14

It was late afternoon. Louise opened another packet of sugar and poured it into her coffee. Novel Café was her favorite café around campus and walking distance from her apartment. She loved it here. It had such a chilled out vibe about it. She had fallen in love with the place the day she accidently stumbled into it with Mandy. There was live music, great ambience and amazing coffee. It was quieter than the coffee chains around campus. She came there almost every day, sometimes with Mandy or her other friends but mostly alone. She even played here almost every Friday. Now that she was away from home, she was trying new things, shedding her inhibitions. Having new experiences, not that it was easy. Even after being here for more than four months, there were times when she felt lonely and alone.

But she was trying. Trying her hardest to forget about the life she had left behind. She had a jam packed schedule where she took a lot more classes than required. It was her way of keeping herself distracted. Mark had come to visit her for a week last month, but Louise was surprisingly less homesick than she would have imagined. School was amazing; she loved her classes, professors and she simply loved California. She was making some real good friends and slowly but steadily she was trying to forget about a certain red head whom she hadn’t talked since their fight.

Sighing she took out her laptop out of her bag to write a paper that was due but she couldn’t concentrated. She had days like these every once in awhile, when she missed him a little more than usual. She missed his laugh, his stupid jokes, his smirks, his beautiful blue eyes and their friendly banter. She missed almost everything about him. It was an ache that didn’t seem to go away. Stopping her lame attempt at writing the paper she checked her mails. Natasha had sent her pictures of her birthday party. She browsed throw the pictures and stopped at one which had him in it. He looked happy with that familiar cheeky smile plastered on his face with Chelsy on his arm. She stared at it for a couple of moments and then shut the lid of her laptop.

When she came to America four months ago, she had made up her mind not to keep in contact with anyone back home. It would have been a hell lot easier for her if she could actually go through with it. Every correspondence, be it mails, calls, texts she had with her friends back home had a way to somehow bringing him up in their conversations. It was hard to be apart from someone you have loved all your life. It was even harder to hear about them when all you wanted was to move on.

Across the pond Harry was not doing any better than Louise though he hid it well. He missed her constantly. He still had hopes of bumping into her somewhere, somehow but it had been seven months with no contact. He didn’t even have her new number. But he heard every conversation his friends had about her. He hangs on to every single tidbit he gets from those conversations. Like how in her recent photo’s - which obviously he hadn’t seen - she has shortened her hair or how that she had burned her hand while cooking in her new apartment. He heard every single detail, pictured in his mind because that’s all he could do.

He would never admit it in a million years to anyone but not long after Louise left for American he had enrolled in Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in hopes that she would hear about it and maybe contact him. He had also started getting his act together; he was currently working on a charity Sentebale in Lesotho with Prince Seeiso whom he had befriended a few years ago. He hardly got much time for partying anymore with his military training, which he was enjoying immensely and all the charity work he was doing.

He and his father were also on the path of repairing their relationship. He had finally accepted Camilla as a part of the family and once he had done that everything else had been easy. There were days when he couldn’t take it anymore, he just wanted to fly to wherever she was to apologize and then there were days when he got so angry with her for the way she had deserted him. But most of the times he just missed her. He missed that someone he wanted to ring at night to tell how his first day of boot camp was or how he got his arse kicked by Tom playing Call of Duty or how things were getting serious with Chelsy or how he and his father had their first real conversation without snapping at each other.

----

Louise got out of the SUV and entered the hotel with security around her. She had butterfly in her stomach. It had been too long since she had seen him, way too long. She followed the security through the corridors; they finally stopped in front of a door. Before she could knock the door of the hotel suite the door opened and there stood the handsome prince in his navy blue suit.

“William!” She said as she threw her arms around him.

“Lou!” He said in the same enthusiasm imitating her. “I missed you, kiddo”

“I missed you too” She said breaking the hug.

“Come on in then. I just have little work to do but later I am all yours for the evening” William said.

Later that evening the two abandoned their plans to go out for dinner and stayed in. They had too much to catch up on and too little time. William was in America on a weeklong official tour. He was in L.A for only a day and tomorrow first thing in the morning he was flying to Washington.

“I wanted to ask this since the moment you stepped in, what is up with these?” He said pointing at her glasses. “Are you trying a new look, Lou?”

“No, this is me being too lazy to put on my contacts. People say it suits me”

“You have to tell me whose been lying to you” William said with a chuckle.

She threw a pillow at him.

“How is Kate?” Louise asked.

“Kate is doing alright. She did tell me to say that she is furious with you for not replying to her mails”

“Please apologize to her on my behalf I haven’t really been a good friend to her for the past couple of
months” Louise said feeling a bit guilty.

“It’s alright. You are busy with school. I am really amazed by the number of classes you are taking. Are you even having any fun?” William asked.

“You make me sound like a such a bore” Louise said scrunching her nose.

William laughed. “I honestly didn’t mean it like that, Lou. I just want you to have a full university experience that’s all”

“Oh in that case you don’t have to worry, I am having loads of fun” Louise said with a cheeky grin.

“Aahh, we better not talk about this fun then. I reckon it’s going to make me very uncomfortable”

Louise giggled “Yes that’s enough talk about me, you tell me how everyone back home is? Uncle Charles and …” She got quite when she realized whose name she was about to say.

“Dad is doing well. He and Camilla are blissfully happy. It’s nice to see them together. He often asks about you. You should ring him once in awhile. He misses you”

“I mean to but because of the time difference it just never seems like the right time. I will though, soon”

William nodded taking a sip of his wine. “I don’t know if you are aware but Harry enrolled at Sandhurst. He is doing very well for himself. You would be pleasantly surprised”

Louise played with her hands not looking up at William as he continued.

“He went to Lesotho. He is starting a charity there. He seems very passionate about it”

Louise looked up. She had obviously heard about Sandhurst. It had been all over the tabloids when he had enrolled but she was taken aback by the news of charity, not that she couldn’t picture him doing it. He was always so good with people and was very compassionate. He thrived with children but the Harry she left ten months ago was not one to do it voluntarily.

“Is he happy?” She blushed as soon as the words came out of her mouth.

William held her gaze for a moment. He was not expecting this question.

“I don’t know how to answer that Lou. He seems happy. Hell, he always acts like he is happy but he hasn’t been the same since you’ve left. He tries to hide it but I know him just like I know how miserable you are without him”

Louise tensed hearing William’s words “Will, I am not…”

“Louise, talk to him. It will do both of you some good” William said tenderly.

“Will, I can’t” and with that her voice cracked. She was so close to tears that another word would turn her into a sobbing mess.

“Hey I am just saying, not that I am an expert of any kind” William said sensing her distress. “So do you want to order dessert or shall I order more wine? My treat” He said flashing her a kind smile.

----

Harry roamed around the palace with a purpose. He was looking for William, who had been back from America this morning. Harry had canceled everything else to meet him. His enthusiasm was certainly not to see his brother; he had other things in mind.

But William took his sweet time before he made any time for Harry. He had things to sort out after coming back from America. Harry bombarding him with questions was not helping. He obviously knew why Harry was here. William had very casually let his meeting with Louise slip in one of his phone calls.

“You really met Jennifer Aniston?” Harry asked as William was recapping his time in Los Angeles.

“Yes I did and she was very nice, nicer than many people I met actually. Then that evening I spent with
Lou before heading to Washington where I had an engagement at…”

“How is she?” Harry cut him off a little too eagerly than he wanted to sound.

“Who?” William asked playing dumb.

“Lou” Harry said.

“Looked like she was doing really well, she has lost some weight and is little tanner but it’s our Lou alright”

“Did she… did she ask about me?” Harry asked hurting his pride a little bit. He wouldn’t have asked if it
would have been anybody but William.

“No, not really in words”

“But you told her about Sandhurst. Did she know I enrolled? What did she said?”

“We didn’t talk about you a whole lot Harry but she knew” William said feeling a bit sorry for his
brother as the disappointment shone in his eyes.

“She didn’t ask did she?” Harry asked hanging his head.

“Harry, it’s not like we didn’t have other things to talk about. I haven’t met her in ages plus we had so little time. Most of our time was spent catching up”

Harry nodded trying to look unfazed by it but miserably failing at it.

“Harry, things with Lou….”

“It’s alright William. I have somewhere to be. You should rest, you had a long week. I will see you later” Harry said and left his room.

----

Louise was just packing up her guitar after playing her set at Novel café. She was getting better at playing in front of people. Usually she played only a song or two but today she felt braver and played for an half an hour straight and even took some requests. The place was not packed as it was seven on a Friday evening. Most people were either already out with friends or getting ready for a date. Louise hadn’t dated since she landed in America. She didn’t felt it was the right time for her to date. Mandy tried to push her, she even set up her on some blind dates but Louise was just not having any of it. She didn’t want anyone, she was happy and content with studying and enjoying this new life she was making for herself.

Tonight Louise had rented the newly released DVD of Devil Wears Prada and had plans of watching it alone. Days like these made her realize just how right her decision was about coming to UCLA. Here she was in no sort of pressure to attend one of father dinners or to go out to some lame party. Here she could do whatever she wanted to do without any interference.

She was sitting on her favorite table alone having cup of a coffee before heading out when she saw the familiar brown haired guy heading her way. He had an easy smile on his face and was carrying a little brown bag which she knew had a blueberry muffin in it, her favorite.

“Hi, there” He said in his thick British accent.

It was such a small world it seems sometimes. Louise had known Max for a few weeks now. Who was a fellow brit from London and like her also played here at the Novel café. One evening he came up to her and casually introduced himself. And soon they bonded over coffee talking about London and music. He was really a likable guy who was a second year architecture student. He was so easy to talk to and made her laugh constantly. She had known of his father, Jonathan Copper who was one of the most respectable oncologists in London. He was also one of the many doctors her father consulted when her mother was sick.

Max was very frank about his intentions with Louise. He openly flirted with her. Asking her out any chance he got. Louise enjoyed his company more than she wanted to. She was certainly attracted to him. He was very handsome with his messy brown hair and amazing set of light green eyes.

“Hello, I see you brought a treat for me” Louise said with a smile.

“Who said it is for you?” Max asked raising his brow.

“Is it not then?” Louise said with a slight frown.

“Alright it is for you” He said placing the bag on the table and taking a seat opposite to her.

“Thank you very much” She said beaming.

“God, I love your smile” Max said making her blush.

“Yours isn’t bad either” She said trying to act cool.

“So, you’ve noticed” He said with a smirk.

She shook her head with a smile plastered on her face. “I am not doing this with you again” She said grabbing her bag.

“Doing what?” He asked innocently.

“Bye, Max. Thanks for the muffin” She said grabbing it from the table.

“Hey that’s not fair. You just left me there all alone” He said as he caught up with her outside the café.

“I thought you could take care of yourself. You’re a big guy”

“Oh honey, you have no idea how big I really am” He said with a smug look.

“Ewww, REALLY Max?” She said laughing.

“What’s the plan for tonight? Have a hot date?” He asked walking beside her.

“Yes I do, he is actually waiting for me back at the apartment”

His smile faded “Oh I didn’t know you were seeing someone” He asked shoving his hands in his jeans front pocket.

“We actually live together” She said.

“You do?” He asked clearly shocked.

“Huh uh, he moved in a little over a week ago” She said suppressing a smile.

“Oh” He said.

“This is me” She said stopping in front of her apartment building. “You want to come in. He would
really like to meet you”

“I don’t know” He starching the back of his neck.

“Come on. He is really friendly” She said dragging him in by hand.

“Honey, I am home” Louise declared as soon as she opened her apartment door.

A small white poodle came running towards them wagging his tail.

“Here is my man” She said scooping him up in her arm. “Max this is my hot date for the night” She said grinning.

Max returned her grin. “I see you like your men hairy” He said.

She laughed snuggling next to her little puppy.

“What’s his name?” Max asked as the dog licked his hand.

She hesitated “I call him junior” She said.

“Junior, it’s really nice to meet you” He said shaking his little paw. “I have to confess I am jealous of
you little man” He said as Junior was now licking Louise’s face.

“Stop it” She said hitting his arm playfully.

---

Harry stood at the terrace of the club, looking at the skyline of London. Inside the celebrations were going at full swing. It was his twenty first birthday. He took another swig of his beer. He looked at his phone again urging it to ring. It had been his second birthday in row when he didn’t hear from Louise. Every year she was the first one to call him at midnight. He was practically giddy all night thinking she might call him, maybe just out of habit or maybe because it was his twenty first birthday but the phone didn’t ring at night and then the whole day went by without a word from her. Maybe it was just her way of getting back at him for missing her big birthday party last year or maybe she was just done with him.

It was the first time in months that this realization hit him. That maybe she might just be gone for good. They hadn’t talked for more than a year now. She was as it is thousands of miles away from him. She didn’t even come home for spring break which he assumed she will. He had stolen Tom’s phone earlier in the evening and at this moment all he wanted was to hear her voice.

“What are you doing here? Everyone is looking for you inside?” Chelsy said coming out to terrace.

“Just getting some air, it’s too crowded inside” He said taking another swig of his beer.

“You didn’t like the party? Me and Guy organized it to your liking” She said with a frown.

“No, I love the party. I just need some air” Harry said kissing her lips lightly.

When she still didn’t leave, “I will be right there. Just give me a minute. I need to make a call”

“Alright, I want to dance with you. So you better get your mighty fine ass in there soon” She said
giving his bum a squeeze before leaving him alone.

Harry sighed and looked down at Tom’s phone. He browsed through Tom’s contacts looking for her name. When he finally found it he stared at her name for good ten minutes before he pressed the call button. He held his breath as the phone rang. It seemed like it lasted forever. Just before he was about to give up he heard her voice.

“Hello”

All the emotions came flooding back, he knew he missed her but her voice made him realized just how much he was really missing her in his life.

“Hello” She said again.

Harry willed himself to say something but he just didn’t know what say.

“Who is it?” He heard someone in the background.

“It’s Tom”

“It must be late there. Around 3 in the morning” Girl in the background said.

“Yeah, he is out I can hear the music in the background. I think he is butt dialing me again” She said
with a light laugh.

Oh god, that sound was like music to his ears. He missed her laugh. Her loud, carefree laughter that always made him smile.

“Hang up we are already late” The girl said.

‘No please don’t. Please don’t hang up. Talk to me, Lou’ that’s what he wanted to say.

“Sorry but I really have to go, bye” She said to silence on the other side and hung up the phone.

He stared at the phone again.

“Bye, Lou” He said as tears filled his eyes. He now knew this might be the only goodbye he will be getting.
♠ ♠ ♠
Max
Visiting William Outfit
Novel Cafe with Max Outfit

Soundtrack : John Mayer - Split Screen Sadness

First of all a HUGE THANK YOU to Overflowing Ashtray for the amazing banner/layout.

Secondly, What do you guys think about Max?
Harry is kind of repenting and realizing his mistakes now but too little too late. Do let know your thoughts.

Awesome people list:

Lucy579

Death_to_Roses

Overflowing Ashtray

musical87