Status: Comments and critique are much appreciated.

How Long?

Chapter 24

Louise checked her reflection one last time before the elevator's doors opened. She stepped out of it and took a breath before she rang the door bell. A very handsome man in his fifties opened the door. He was dressed casually in a crisp white shirt and blue jeans. He had thick salt and pepper hair, over six feet tall with kind green eyes which reminded her so much of his son. He gave Louise a warm smile.

“It’s always a pleasure seeing you Louise” He said pecking her cheeks.

“I feel the same way, Dr. Cooper” Louise said making her way inside the amazingly decorated apartment.

“Please call me Chris” He said taking her coat. “Would you fancy a glass of wine?” He asked.

“Yes, thank you” She said following him into the living room. The place was exactly as she remembered it when she lasted visited it with Max some two years ago.

“You have a lovely apartment” She found herself saying.

“Thank you” He said giving her a glass of wine. “If my memory serves me right you said that the last
time you were here” He said with a smile.

“I must’ve. It’s simply gorgeous”

“You are too kind” He said taking a seat opposite her. “So, how is my son doing? Don’t tell me he is too busy and have been avoiding you like he’s been avoiding his poor old father”

Louise smiled. She loved the relationship Max shared with his father. They were more like buddies rather than father and son. Max’s mum and dad split up when he was only three years old. His mother remarried and settled in Australia with her new husband and Christopher single-handedly raised Max. He never stopped him from doing what he wanted and supported him fully when he chose architecture over medicine. Max respected and admired his father immensely and Louise could see why.

“He has been very busy with work but he is doing well. He was disheartened when you couldn’t fly down for his graduation”

“I intended to but there was an emergency at the hospital and I just couldn’t get away” He said and Louise could feel the sadness in his eyes. “But thank you for sending me the pictures. It almost felt like I was there with him. It was very nice of you”

“You’re welcome. I could only imagine how crushed you must be. My father missed my grade 10 graduation and he still feels guilty about it” Louise said.

Christopher laughed at that.

The rest of the afternoon was easy. Louise enjoyed Christopher’s company. He was a very interesting man and even more charming than Max. They talked about many things from world politics to her family but their favorite topic was Max. It was evident to see they both loved him dearly. Christopher was glad with Max’s choice of partner. Louise was not just a pretty face; she was intelligent and down to earth. He could see why his son was so smitten by this young woman. She was a treat to talk to. She had the ability to brighten up any room by her sheer presence.

Louise was in Christopher’s kitchen helping him clean up after the lunch when her phone beeped for the first time.

Harry:: You coming out with us tomorrow night?

Louise:: Will try.

Harry:: You fucking not cancel on me again Tomlinson. I haven’t seen you since I dropped
you back after our little road trip which was FIVE days ago.

She couldn’t believe she only had another week left of her break. The few days had gone by in a blur. She had been too busy meeting with old friends. Hanging out with her brothers and going shopping with Emma. She hardly got time to see Harry which was not going down well with him at all. He wanted to spend every possible hour with her.

It had been five agonizing days for Harry, knowing that Louise was in town and yet he was not with her. He had made so many plans in his head, planning how they would spend her time in London but now all he could do was watch days passing by with her doing god know what. He was frustrated and somewhat angry.

Louise:: Okay.

Harry:: Where are you?

Louise:: Out.

Harry:: You coming for the polo match tomorrow?

Louise:: No

Harry:: Can I get a proper answer out of ya?

Louise:: Sorry. I am busy right now. Talk to you later.

Louise quickly typed out the last message. When she looked up Christopher was drying his hands with a towel with an amusing smile playing on his face.

“I am sorry” She said putting her phone aside. “My friends keeps harassing me”

“That’s quite alright” He said. “Would you like a cup of tea before you head out” He asked.

“No, thank you. I don’t think there is enough space for it in my stomach. I am so full. The food was delicious”

“I am glad you liked it” He said while as pair walked to the front door. He helped her with her coat.

“I had a really good time. Thank you so much for inviting me” She said giving him a hug.

“The pleasure was all mine” Christopher said. “I hope we can do this again before you leave”

“That would be great” She said.

---

Harry kept glancing back the door every few seconds just to make sure he didn’t miss her arrival. He was sore from the polo match from this afternoon where he had fallen on his butt because he had been too distracted by the thoughts of tonight. It was insane that he was this excited to see her tonight. The anticipation was killing him. This feeling was definitely new to him. He spoke to a few people but his eyes were scanning the room for Louise.

He was determined to spend some time with her. Guy had said something about having lunch with her a couple of days ago and he had been instantly jealous. Harry hated knowing that she had spent some time with Guy and not him.

Finally, after what seemed like hours Louise entered the club. She looked absolutely ravishing in her blue dress. Her hair was open touching the nape of her neck just the way he liked it. He had stopped talking and was just staring at her when she looked right back at him and smiled. His heart melted with that smile of hers. She gave him a little wave and made her way towards him. His heart was beating wildly. What was happening to him?

“Why are you looking at her like that?” Tom asked.

“Like what?” Harry asked getting flushed. Thankful for the dim lighting in the club.

Tom crossed his arms and stared at Harry. “You know what I mean”

Harry knew what his friend meant but he didn’t want to explain the way he was feeling about Louise to him. For one, he himself was not sure about what he was actually feeling and secondly because it was none of his damn business.

Harry just shook his head telling Tom to drop it. They stood in silence, both watching Louise talking to Natasha. When her eyes finally turned and met Harry she gave him a look saying ‘save me’. Harry chucked and made his way to her.

Somehow Harry managed to drag Louise from Natasha.

“Come let’s sit. My legs are killing me today” Harry said gently pulling her arm towards an empty table in the corner.

Louise took the seat across from him. Harry made a face as the couch was empty on his side.

“What is it you want to talk about?” Louise asked looking around.

“Do I need a reason now?” Harry said a bit offended.

“Of course not, you sounded a bit snippy over the phone”

“Do you want to fight right now” He asked resting both his elbows on the table leaning forward.

“No. You are angry. Why are you angry?” She asked furrowing her eyes.

“Because you know it’s a pretty sad state of affairs when you have to hijack your friend just to find out how she is”

At that Louise smiled. “I am good and I am sorry but I have been all sorts of busy. Did I tell you Luke and Emma got engaged?”

“Yes, that I know” Harry said flatly.

“Ok. I went to NSPCC center today and talked about the research for my final project”

He nodded without saying a word.

“Don’t be like that. I promise to spend more time with you for the rest of my stay. As a matter of fact, you have me for the whole day tomorrow. And I promise you by the end of the day you would be so fucking bored of me that you would be willing to ditch me at any second”

He highly doubted that but in spite of himself he smiled.

“Yay! I got a smile. Let’s shake on it, shall we?” She said reaching her hand out towards him.

A crooked grin touched Harry’s perfect face and he slipped his hand into hers.

His warm touched caused her to shiver slightly. She pulled her hand away quickly and stood up not understanding what just happened. “I am going to get a drink. Save me a dance”

He furrowed his eyes and nodded. “Without a doubt”

William took Louise seat when she walked away.

“I think I told you before but it’s so good to see you two together again” He said putting his beer down on the table.

“We were always friends” Harry replied still a bit confused by Louise’s reaction.

“Friends” William said and nodded his head as if he agreed. The look on his face was amused
though. “Good luck with that”

His comment confused Harry even more and even managed to piss him off a little bit.

“Thanks” He said bitterly.

William chuckled.

Harry started to respond when Natasha walked up the stage “It’s time for some karaoke bitches. Don’t worry; I won’t make you come up here, yet. Louise has agreed to sing the first song because she doesn’t have to be drunk to sound amazing”

Harry shifted his eyes to Louise who was looking up at Natasha like she wanted to crawl under the table. He wanted to go save her again but he sure as hell wasn’t about to sing. He knew he would never live it down.

“I got you” Tom hollered from across the room. Harry watched him saunter over to Louise and say something that made her smile up at him. Suddenly Harry felt a pang of jealously again.

Louise slid her hand into Tom’s and they walked up the stage together.

Harry grip on the beer bottle became tighter. He must have been sneering at them because William was looking at him funny.

“You okay there little brother?” He asked.

“I am fine”

Louise was so relived not to be up here alone. She was thankful for Tom to volunteer to sing with her. Natasha had pretty much thrown her under the bus there. Tom picked the song. As soon as the lyrics to the song came of screen Louise busted out laughing.

The familiar starting music of the song began pouring through the speakers and Harry and everyone else couldn’t help but smile, some even hollered. Tom had picked ‘I Kissed a Girl’ by Katy Perry.

Louise started singing now feeling a bit comfortable that people all around her were laughing and giggling. The dance floor filled in no time. Tom voice joined her voice while he danced his ridiculous moves on stage. It was difficult for Louise to keep a straight face when Tom danced like that. The crowd was going crazy with Tom dancing though.

Harry watched Tom as they finished the song and he pulled Louise into a hug. Again his hands clenched into fist. Where the hell is this coming from? He thought.

Harry watched as Louise made her way through the crowd which was still buzzing from their performance. She was headed for the back hallway that led to the restrooms. He didn’t think about it too much. He just went with it and followed her.

She had already disappeared into the restroom when Harry got back there, so he waited. He wasn’t sure what he was going to say or do. He was a little drunk by now. Staring at the door he decided this was a bad idea. What exactly is he doing back here? He started walking back down the hallway.

“Harry?” Louise’s voice stopped him. He looked back at her over his shoulder.

“Hey, that was crazy out there”

She blushed “I know. It was fun. Tom is insane but I am glad I did it”

“I am glad you did it too”

She walked towards him. “How about that dance now?”

He wanted that dance but more than that he wanted to feel her close to him again. He held out his hand to her and she placed hers in his. He stared at her small hand and his chest felt like it was expanding. The tightness that surrounded him only grew stronger as he closed his hand around hers and led her to the dance floor.

He could feel William and Tom eyes on him but right now he didn’t give a shit about those two or what it meant. This was what he wanted. Being close to her is what he needed.

Someone on the karaoke was singing a slower song and Harry was thankful for it. That meant he didn’t need an excuse to pull her close.

Louise slid her hands up Harry’s arms and rested them there. She didn’t slip them behind his neck as she did usually. He inhaled her familiar smell of daises.

“You smell good” He found himself saying as his arms tightened their grip around her waist.

She peaked at him from under her eyelashes; he gave her one of his brilliant smiles which relaxed her a little. He placed his hands on hers and slid them over to his shoulders.

“This is better” He said putting his hands back around her waist and pulling her closer. They swayed to the music. It felt different than the numerous times they had done this before. They were aware of each other’s movements as they danced to the music. Every slight touch and look seemed important.

Harry couldn’t help himself and pulled her even closer as the song progressed. He was afraid of letting her go as the song was coming to an end. She looked at him again and he looked back at her and they locked eyes.

Wow Harry thought. Those eyes were an incredible shade of light brown he’d ever seen. How come he had never noticed that before? He tried to compare the color to something, but nothing came to mind. Studying her features like he was seeing her for the first time, he noticed every minutest of detail. His eyes landed on her lips and suddenly he had a very strong urge to taste them.

He felt like she knew what he was thinking about, so he forced himself to break his gaze but he failed. All of his senses suddenly came flooding in. The smell of daisies was overwhelming… her breath on his neck was driving him fucking insane… the way her proximity was waking something inside him he was not sure what.

The songs end and they finally let go of each other. She gave him a shy smile and turned around but he caught her arm, stopping her. She looked at him when another song started this time it was a faster number.

Louise wanted to leave the dance floor. She was utterly confused by feeling the same emotions that she hasn’t felt for Harry for such a long time. She knew her mind would split in half if she didn’t leave but before she could Harry stopped her for another song. She thanked her stars when it happened to be a fast song.

Harry knew Louise has tensed up again because he could see her wincing every time he touched her. He had no intentions of making her feel uncomfortable. He had no idea what his intentions were to be honest. All he knew that being around her felt right and he was not ready to let go of that feeling just yet. Tom joined them after little while and he could feel Louise finally letting go of her nerves. She smiled and jumped around dancing with Tom.

Harry had no idea how long it had been since Tom, him and Louise had been dancing like total idiots but it felt bloody damn good. He was happy, really really happy. That’s the kind of high he got from being around her. He didn’t have to try being happy, just seem to happen automatically.

The current song was going on full blast and the whole club was going crazy when Harry felt someone hands on his waist. He didn’t have to turn around to know who it was by now he knew every touch of hers and he suddenly felt irritated and guilty at the same time for forgetting about her the entire evening.

“Hey babe” He said giving Chelsy a kiss on the cheek.

“Hey” She said.

He didn’t stop dancing though and pulled Chelsy further into the dance floor urging her to dance because he didn’t want to talk right now. He didn’t want to be alone with her and most importantly he didn’t want to leave Louise alone with Tom on the dance floor. This made him feel like the worst boyfriend ever. Chelsy wrapped her arms around him and started matching his moves.

It was probably the first time ever Louise was glad to see Chelsy in the entire time she had known her. It was a gentle reminder of where things stand between her and Harry. Finally deeming her feelings as stupid she continued to dance with Tom while Chelsy joined Harry.

Harry peaked to see Louise who was still dancing like lunatic with Tom. He wanted to see her reaction to Chelsy because somehow being with Chelsy in front of Louise just doesn’t seem right anymore. But what he saw disturbed him even further. Louise didn’t look confused or angry rather she seemed relieved to see Chelsy.

Needless to say it was a very long and confusing night for the two friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lunch With Christopher Outfit
Club Outfit

Soundtrack - Anything Can Happen - Finn Brothers

Things are really heating up and I for one, am very excited!! I am really enjoying writing this story and seeing your comments and reactions is just the icing on the cake. I have so many ideas about how I want the story to progress from here on wards. There are better and bigger things in store.
Thanks again for being such an awesome bunch of readers. You guys really rock!

Do let me know your thoughts.

List of Awesome!


BrookieCookie490

annie2031

love pink

kristinep22

paint.it.black.

pumpidum

mebg

Amelia_W4