Status: Comments and critique are much appreciated.

How Long?

Chapter 27

“Are you still pouting?” Louise asked already knowing the answer.

Harry sent her another glare. “Did you see the papers? My pink nails are all over it”

“I’ll take that as a yes then” she said, getting out of the car. “I’ve apologized already. I am not going to do it again” She said shutting the car door while balancing her bag and coffee.

“Oh you would apologize till the day you die” Harry said through the window.

Louise rolled her eyes.

“What time should I pick you up?” He asked. He had a meeting with his staff on the other end of the town.

“I don’t know. Charming Mrs. Headley might take some time. I will take a cab” Louise said.

“I will send Bertie for you, just leave me a text when your finish” Harry said ignoring what she just said.

“I will take a cab” She said again. She hated when he got all possessive on her which he’d been doing a lot lately.

“Okay then, he will be waiting for you outside”

“Harry!” She said stomping her feet.

“See ya later” Harry said with a wave and wink.

Shaking her head Louise went inside the NSPCC centre. NSPCC aka National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children was UK's leading charity specializing in child protection and the prevention. Louise had volunteered for many of their fundraising events in the past and was horrified by brutality against children. It was one of the major reasons she wanted to write a paper about child abuse.

She had contacted them last year and got in touch with Kim Garland, who was in charge of the London centre at the time. She was kind enough to allow her to do research here. She had sent her many cases to study and had scheduled various interviews with the children and some past survivors.

But now Louise was faced by two problems. One, all of those interviews were scheduled to happen three weeks from now as Louise was suppose be in Spain for her annual family vacation. After the recent events there was no chance of that happening.

Secondly, Kim had moved to another town after her wedding and her replacement was a tight-fisted older woman, Mrs. Hadley. Louise had spoken to her a couple of times over the phone and was meeting her today for the first time. Louise goal for today was simple. Now that she was not going to accompany her family to Spain she thought of finishing her research sooner. She had a meeting with Mrs. Hadley where she planned to charm the old lady and request her if she could do anything for her but ten minutes into the meeting and Louise knew that it was not going to happen. The old lady was very old fashioned and frowned at Louise for being two minutes late. Seriously, two minutes! She also reminded her that the centre was under no obligation to help her and was only allowing her to do her research here because she had great references. Louise didn’t even get the time to show her notes that she had worked on all day yesterday. Nor did she have the heart to argue with her as the old lady scared her shitless.

Louise came out of the centre and spotted Bertie sitting in the range rover around the curve. She was so bumped that she didn’t protest and just slide inside the car. She was figuring out what she is going to be doing for the next few weeks when Harry and William will be in South Africa. She already planned to stay at Natasha’s as she couldn’t possibly stay at their apartment. Now she had no excuse to avoid going out with her. She groaned in frustration. To change her mood she made a pit stop and bought whole bucket of fried chicken, chips and chicken nuggets. At times like these only greasy food could make her feel better. She didn’t even wait to reach home she started eating inside the car.

“When is Harry going to be home?” Louise asked Bertie.

“I am going to pick him up once I drop you off, Miss”

“Does he have any other engagements today?”

“He scheduled to appear for an event this evening at the Grosvenor House Hotel”

“How often does he have these kinds of events?” Louise asked biting into a nugget.

“He has such engagements twice or thrice a week sometimes if he is not busy with the army training”

The car stopped and Louise hopped out of it. She was already having a bad day but it just got way worse when she spotted a very familiar car in the drive way. She wanted to run away but made her way inside the apartment to find her brother Luke sitting with William in the living room. Luke looked at the bags of food and then back at her face.

“Bad day ehh?” He asked. Obviously he knew his sister better.

She nodded putting the bags down.

“You want to go for a walk and talk about it?” He asked.

She nodded again.

They walked in silence at first. Louise didn’t want to say anything because she didn’t know why Luke
was here. She had avoided his calls and never replied to his text or emails, she knew he would eventually drop by but it still hurt seeing him here. Out of all the people Luke lying to her pained her the most. She worshiped her old brother.

“Louise let me start off by apologizing” He said. “I know you feel betrayed by all of us and you are right we should have told you once we knew”

Louise still didn’t say anything looking down at her hands.

“Dad wanted to tell you and we should have let him” He said. “Just don’t punish him because of us. He is worried about you and he feels very guilty. Well, so do I”

“I am not going home” She said quietly.

“I am not asking you to” Luke said. “I just wanted to let you know I feel terrible about what happened. All of us do”

“Even Mark?”

“Even Mark” He said grinning.

“You are such bad liar” She said nudging him.

He laughed softly wrapping an arm around her shoulders. “And I also wanted to let you know that Emma and I had picked out a wedding date”

“You did! That’s great”

“Emma is soon going to go out of her mind with planning the wedding. She doesn’t have any siblings so I was hoping you could help her out a bit. She wanted to ask you herself but you were not taking our calls”

“I would love to help Emma”

“Good, she wants to meet you before we leave for Spain” Luke said looking down at her. “Is there any chance you would be joining us?”

Louise shook her head. “I don’t think that’s such a good idea”

“Take your time, Lou. You know I love you, right?”

She nodded.

“If it makes you feel any better I was also surprised by the whole Dad and Lily thing at first but now I get it. They are really good for each other, Lou. Hey! don’t look at me like that. I am not trying to convince you of anything here. I am just stating the facts”

“I don’t want to know that facts” Louise said stubbornly.

“Alright then, how have you been? Harry told me you were doing better, working on your paper”

“You’ve been in touch with Harry?” Louise asked surprised by the information.

“Of course, I had to check up on ya. You are baby sister and I worry about you kiddo. He was nice
enough to pick up my calls whenever you didn’t”

“I am been better. Though it’s been an awful day”

“Why? What happened?”

Harry’s car was pulling in the drive way as Luke was driving out. They nodded to acknowledge each other. Harry went inside the apartment to find William and Louise both on the couch. She was still wearing her clothes from the morning and seemed to be in low-spirits. She gave him a weak smile.

“Lasagna is in the oven if you’re hungry” William said.

“Thank you but I ate” Harry said sitting next to Louise. “How was your day?” He asked Louise as he stripped off his tie.

“Shitty” She said bitterly. She told him about her meeting and how bad it went.

“That’s why I been trying to convince Louise to come to South Africa with us” William said nonchalantly.

“That’s a brilliant idea” Harry said mentally kicking himself for not coming up with it earlier.

“That’s a terrible idea” Louise said at the same time.

“Why? You yourself just said there is nothing you could do here. Then what’s stopping you?” Harry
asked as he slipped off his leather dress shoes.

“You are not going there on a holiday. Its work related, what would I be doing there? I will just be a nuisance to the both of ya”

“Rubbish. We have our engagements but that doesn’t mean we won’t have any spare time. I would love
to show you around Semongkong. You said you wanted to come see it. Now here is a brilliant
opportunity for it” Harry said.

“Are you mental? It’s not that simple”

“Actually, it is. You could even work on your paper there. Weren’t you telling me about child shepherds the other day Harry?” William said.

“Yes! It would incredible for your paper, Lou. There are these boys as young as five who spend months on end tending cattle in the isolation in remote areas. This leaves many children deprived of an education. One of Sentebale mission is to help provide an education for these herd boys. You can interact with them. It would be such a unique take for your paper” Harry said in excitement.

“You’re getting way ahead of yourself right now. Your tour is planned for months in advance even if I wanted to go, which I am not saying I do. How are you going to manage? Everything is already booked” Louise asked.

“You don’t have to worry about that. We will let Jack and Karen know and they will take care of everything. Won’t they Wills?” Harry said.

“I won’t want to impose like that” Louise said shaking her head.

“There is no imposing here. We are inviting you!” Harry said getting a bit agitated now.

“He is right Lou. If you want to come along it won’t be a problem. We are already flying in a private plane so that won’t be an issue. Plus, the staff always books an extra room or two so you’re staying will be taken care of” William said.

“I don’t know. It just seems…”

“Stop over thinking it, Lou. You’re going to be here all alone. This is the perfect plan. You said you wanted to visit Lesotho. Now you can and work on your paper at the same time. It’s really a win-win situation” Harry said.

“I have to think about it”

“There is no time to think about it! We are leaving in three days” Harry said.

“It’s not fair. You’re putting on the spot now. The both of you” Louise said pointing her fingers at the brothers.

“Come on you want to. I can see in it in your eyes. Just say yes” Harry said giving her the puppy dog eyes.

“It would be an experience, Lou. You should not miss it” William said.

“If you don’t want to do it for yourself then do it for me” Harry said softly holding her hand. “Please”

Louise bit her bottom lip and looked up at his eyes, which was a huge mistake. He held her gaze. His eyes were sincere and bright with excitement, which was not what she should be noticing in the first place. She shook out of the little trance his eyes held her in.

“Let me sleep on it” She said giving him an apologetic smile. It was not that she didn’t want to go. The prospect of going with them was enticing but a part of her didn’t wanted to go as she was still hoping somehow things will get better with her father.

“What bloody difference can a night make?” Harry asked annoyed.

“Harry, don’t pressurize her. Lou, take your time” William said getting up. “If you could excuse me, I have an early day tomorrow. Goodnight”

Harry slumped down the couch with a pouty face.

“I haven’t said no yet” Louise said smiling.

“You haven’t said yes either” He said folding his arms around his chest.

“Harry, just give me some time please” She said pleading him with her eyes.

“Okay” He said.

----

“You sure you want to do this?” Harry asked as they drove down to Louise’s house.

“I need clothes, Harry. I could only pack so much when I left and I terribly miss my guitar” Louise said calmly though there was an edge to her voice.

She knew there was nothing to worry about. Nobody is home at this time of the day anyway. Just to be on the safe side she had already grilled Luke, who had informed her that Lily was out of town to visit some friend. Her father is usually at work at this hour. She was putting on a brave front but she was a nervous wreck inside. Going home after everything that had happened was only making her feel shitter about her situation. She was still upset but the anger had diminished. Most of all she was hurt and felt betrayed by her father.

“Natasha is picking you up later?” Harry asked.

“Yeah, she wants to go to Warren’s party later tonight” Louise said.

“Will you care to explain me why are you going to that thing again?” Harry asked. He remembered Max saying something about Louise leaving London because of a guy which Harry has assumed to be Jake. Going back to her place and then seeing Jake later explained Louise’s anxiety. He didn’t like seeing her tense and upset.

“Everyone is going” Louise said. She didn’t know why Harry didn’t want her to go.

“I am not going” Harry said folding his arms around his chest.

“Alright, everyone else except you is going” She said sarcastically. “And I prefer to spend some time with Natasha before I go to stay with her. I have hardly seen her since I’ve been here”

“You don’t have to do any of this if you just come to South Africa with us” Harry said with a little shrug.

“I told you, I will think about it” Louise said.

As the car pulled in the drive way she could feel her heart beat increasing. She didn’t even realize she was chewing on her nails when Harry nudged her. “Stop that” He said.

She took a deep breath and opened the door.

“You don’t have to do this. We can turn the car around and go to King’s Road and you can buy whatever the hell you want” Harry said.

Louise smiled. When everyone she knew thought she was being irrational and overreacting, here was Harry who supported her with no questions asked.

“No, I can do this”

“If you want I can come inside with you. I can meet Arthur some other time”

“No, that’s alright. You go ahead”

“See you tonight. Do let know your plans”

Louise nodded.

“Call me when you’re done” Harry said.

“Will do, now go” She gave him a forced smile. Telling herself that she would be okay.

Harry didn’t feel particularly reassured that she would be alright. He could see that in her eyes and in her body language. He stopped her just as she was about to get out of the car and kissed her chastely on the cheek.

Inside the house was the same but now Louise noticed things she hadn’t noticed last week. There were little changes here and there. The paintings around the living room or the vase on the centre table which had Lily written all over it. She didn’t want to but she felt sad seeing these subtle changes. She had always felt territorial about her house and especially about her father. She knew her father did the best he could do with her and her siblings after her mother passed away and she respected him so much for that. He could have easily hired people to do that job but instead he had taken out time to help Lou with her home work every night, to teach Luke how to drive and sit hours with Mark when he broke his arm after falling from a horse. He was a perfect father and even with a missing parent Louise had a wonderful childhood.

She always thought that she had a near perfect relationship with her father. They talked almost every day and maybe that’s why this was hurting her so much. Yes, she felt betrayed because he was with Lily, who was her mother’s sister but she felt continues stab of pain because he didn’t tell her about his relationship and had gone to great lengths to hide it from her whereas he could have told her about it every time they talked but he chose not to and that thought nearly tore her heart.

She went into her bedroom and started packing all the stuff she couldn’t fit in the bags the first time. She didn’t plan to come back again during her stay in London. Because of which it took her so much time. Once everything was packed she texted Natasha.

While waiting for Natasha in the living room Louise stopped in front of the huge family portrait which was taken just before her mother was diagnosed. Louise was seven in the picture sitting on her mother’s lap giving a toothless grin to the camera. She always heard people saying that she looked so much like her mother and here in this picture she could see the resemblance. Her hand went towards her mother face and she ran her fingers over her grainy face.

“It’s the last picture of all of us together” Louise’s father voice said it from behind. “It was taken just a few days after your seventh birthday. Your mother was worried she had put on some weight and didn’t want the picture to be taken; I had to reassure her that she looked beautiful. She always looked beautiful to me”

Louise didn’t say anything. She was rooted on her spot and didn’t have the courage to turn around and face him.

“You’re a spitting image of your mother” Simon said putting a hand on her shoulder. “It’s nice to see you back home”

“I am not here to stay” She finally willed herself to say.

“I figured when I saw the bags” He said calmly. “I know your hurt but that was never our intention. I wanted to make it easier…”

“I don’t want to talk about it” Louise said curtly.

“I know you don’t but I just…”

“Dad please stop, I don’t want to hear this”

“Alright, I will back off. I will give you time to come around”

“I might never come around dad. You choose her when I asked you it’s either her or me. You choose her” She said as her voice cracked. “How am I supposed to come around after that?” Louise said looking him directly in the eye.

“Louise, it was not like that. It came out all wrong. I was angry and I lost my cool” He said ruffling his hair.

Car honked outside.

“I am sorry I have to go” She said picking her bags.

Her eyes were stinging when she finally came out of the house. He didn’t take her in his arms like she had hoped. He didn’t stop her tears when they formed in the corner of her eyes and he didn’t even apologize. He just let her leave again and he didn’t even bother to stop her. She dumped her bags on the backseat and slide inside the car.

“You okay?” Natasha asked. “Are you crying?”

“I am fine. It’s just my allergies acting up. Let’s just get out of here”

“You sure?” She asked.

“Yes. Let’s go”

“Where to?” Natasha asked putting her car into gear.

“I need to shop for tonight’s party” Louise said putting on her seat belt.

Natasha gave her a killer grin “That’s my girl”

---

The place was filled with so many bodies. That’s was the first thought that came to Louise’s mind as she looked around. There were so many people here that Louise felt a little claustrophobic. Everyone was dressed in a majestic way as it was a folklore themed party. She, herself had really gone out of her way to dress for tonight. She had spent the better half of the day distracting herself by shopping for the party with Natasha and then getting ready for it. She really needed to divert her mind from what happened with her father earlier. In her head coming to a party with all of her friends was the best plan.

The place was decorated perfectly going with the theme. There was a Celtic, Medieval and Gothic feel to the whole place. There were fancy colorful lights adding to the magical effect of the room. Tiny fairies and other mythical creatures were fluttering from the ceiling. There were silly games, loud music, a physic, a palmist and a lot of alcohol. Every guest had made an effort to look the part. The whole vibe of the party was amazing. Jake and Susanna had really out done themselves.

Louise had been here for a couple of hours and had tried her hand at everything to distract herself. She drank a little. She tried socializing. She got her palm read by the palmist, which was totally bogus. She even danced with Tom which every other time for as long as she could remember had sent her into a fits of giggles, but it didn’t do anything for her today. Nothing was doing anything for her today. She was too distraught to enjoy anything.

With a drink in her hand she found a corner and slumped down on the couch which was covered in fake leaves. She had never felt so lonely with so many people around. All she wanted was to go back to her room in Harry’s and William’s apartment. Get under the covers and just bawl her eyes out. She sat there for god knows how long, slowly sipping her drink which was way too strong for her taste. Many people stopped by and chatted with her. She had given them a best possible smile she could muster and an illusion that she was having a great time. No one could suspect how miserable she felt inside, at least she hoped. She could feel an alcohol induced buzz in her head. She was so bored that at one point she actually took her phone out and started paying games on it.

Normally, in such situations she would have called Harry and asked him to come and take her away, but he had been busy working, so she couldn’t call him. Well she didn’t want to. She didn’t want to bother him.

She was still playing the game when Harry’s called.

“How is the party?” He asked.

“Great” She said faking it, again.

“Having fun?”

Her first instinct was to lie. She was stuck here with Natasha, who by the looks of it was having an absolutely fantastic time grinding against some French dude. London was almost an hour and a half away and there was nothing she or Harry could do about her situation. Well, that was a lie. She could, she could simply call a cab or ask someone for a ride. Specifically, William or Tom, whom she had been avoiding them for the better part of the evening as they were the only people here who could see past her bullshit.

“No, I am having a wretched time” She said with a nervous giggle.

“Are you drunk?” He asked. She could hear an edge in his voice.

“No, just a little tipsy” She said.

“You want to come home?” He asked.

“Yes, I will just take a cab in sometime”

“Don’t be absurd. I am on my way” Harry said.

“Harry, it will take you ages to reach here” She said resting her head on the arm of the couch wishing him to be near her.

“An hour, I will be there in an hour”

“Okay” She said as her eyes filled with tears. If it had been any other day she would have protested,
they would have eventually end of arguing about it but today she was having one of those days when you get the feeling you are not loved even though deep down you probably know that’s not true. Harry’s simple words brought tears to her eyes. They were a conformation just how much he really cared. “Harry” She said quietly.

“Lou”

“Please, come soon”

---

Harry entered the party looking totally out of the place. He was still dressed in a shirt, pants and a jacket that he wore for a meeting whereas everyone here was in their costumes. He smiled and nodded to people as he passed by but his eyes were searching for Lou, thinking she should have never come here. With everything going on seeing her ex had to have some kind of effect on her. She had sounded low and drunk over the phone and knowing Lou he knew that was a recipe for disaster. He spotted Tom who pointed him in the direction of the gardens at the back where he last saw her.

Louise stood outside, it was drizzling and her hair was damp for standing here for too long. She came out because she desperately needed some air. She thought she could really use a hug and a night of just lying on the couch, curled up next to someone. She was completely lost in her thoughts when she heard someone calling her name. Confused, she swiveled and found herself smiling before even the thought entered her mind.

Harry walked towards her. His hair still styled in a slightly spiky mess, a few raindrops were clinging to his face and shoulders. She looked at him crossing her arms over your chest, attempting to look calm and collected despite how much she just wanted to wrap her arms around him and get that hug she so desperately needed.

“How exactly did you reach here in an hour? It took me and Natasha almost two” She said.

“I told Bertie to hurry up. I knew you needed me and….”

Without waiting for him to finish, she wrapped her arms under his jacket around him. Curling up against him, against his warmth, and she finally felt better. He folded his arms around her. She took a deep breath and let his scent surround her.

“Woah!” Harry said laughing softly, his lips against the side of her head. His lips pressed against her temple softly. She lifted her head and looked into his bright blue orbs. He gently pushed the wet hair back from her face.

“Want to go home now?”

On the way back to London she found herself curled up beside him at the backseat of the car. They didn’t say anything, words were not needed. The radio was playing in the background but she was not listening to it. She was looking at him just the same way he was looking down at her. His fingers idly running through her hair. Harry was mesmerized by her big chocolate brown eyes, which at the moment looked sad and something else he couldn’t understand. Every fiber in his body wanted to dip his head and kiss her. He gently brushed his fingers over her cheeks which were slightly red and the
slowly moved his thumb and traced her bottom lip.

At his touch Louise closed her eyes “Harry” She whispered.

“Lou” His voice came out hoarsely.

“Is the offer still open?”

“What offer?” He asked, confused now.

“For South Africa” She asked opening her eyes.

“Yes” He said grinning.
♠ ♠ ♠
NSPCC Centre Outfit
Going Home Outfit
Folklore Party Outfit

Soundtrack: Kings Of Leon - On Call

Firstly, I will not start by apologizing this time (though I totally should). These characters are doing something to me that I can't explain. They came very very close to kissing and a part of me wanted to let them but on the other hand a part of me wants to stick with my original plan. I was so tormented that it took me ages to figure out the arch of the chapter, hence a late update. For everyone that is dying for them to get together please have a little more patience.
Secondly, Louise is going to South Africa with them! How do you guys feel about that? Are you hoping something to happen there?? Do let me know you thoughts.
My awesome awesome readers i really love and appreciate each and every one of you!!

Wall of Awesome!

BrookieCookie490

Jayme112234

paint.it.black.

walesmissharry

the_epic_one

pumpidum

mebg

Overflowing Ashtray

Daybreak1996