Instincts

Chapter 2

He removed his sunglasses and slipped off his hood all with one fluid movement.

“William?” She said just as shocked as he was.

“My God!” He swept her into his arms in a warm embrace.

Her body tensed in shock.

“How have you been?” He asked as he moved himself away from her.

“Ok.” She said awkwardly. She wondered why he was behaving like they were long lost friends rather then estranged lovers.

“I really, really missed you.” He said dropping his already soft voice.

“When I left it didn’t seem as though you would.” She said back injecting a little venom into that.

“That wasn’t me.” He said dropping his head in shame. “That was my Mr. Hyde.”

“Well, isn’t that nice the time The Butcher kissed me before you and I were even going out and we were all drunk it was my fault but you were an ass for months and that wasn’t yours! That’s just like you William.” She was furious that he would say such irrational nonsense.

“I’m sorry Crissy. I was wrong and it was my fault.” He said it trying to calm her. “But couldn’t you have at least returned a call to tell me it was done?” He tried to retain that air of calmness although he didn’t quite achieve that.

“I made that quite clear when I left. But I must have forgotten that you hadn’t been sober for three weeks straight when I walked out.” Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
“You’re over exaggerating. I wasn’t drunk for weeks on end. Nights in a row yes but not weeks. You make it sound like every waking moment I had was spent with a beer in one hand and a shot in the other.” He defended what he only partially remembered.

“William, you were sober after the hangover wore off. Let’s say it ended at 2:30, then at about 4 you’d head to the practice space with the guys and depending on how the day went you’d leave anywhere from 6 to 10 and that’s when you’d head to the bar.” She said recalling her old life, the schedule that ruled, that controlled all. “So, what, I got you for an hour and a half but I was usually at beauty school then right? I only saw you drunk, William. When you were drunk you weren‘t the sweet, soft spoken man I loved.” She said the last part almost losing the little ‘cool’ she retained.

“Well Drunk William is gone. It’s just plain old me.” He spoke those words softly and moved closer caressing her cheek gently with the backs of his long, slender fingers.

“How do I know that will last?” She said half hoping that he’d have some great answer but half saying this as a departure, trying to close this old chapter in her life.

He was about to speak, to say something he hoped would bring her confidence back but was cut short.

“Crissy!” A woman called from the back of the shop, coming through the employee lounge.

She moved away from him, “Yeah I’m out here!” She shout back.

She turned away and walked back toward the employee lounge.

Another woman appeared, she looked over worked and exhausted quite like Crissy.

“Sorry it took me so long to get here. I can’t believe Arya called in again! If she keeps this up I won’t see my kids ‘til I retire!” The woman ranted, all she really wanted was to spend a little time with her children.

“Thanks for coming in though, Irreale. I need a quick break can you take this guy?” Crissy asked and inched towards the lounge.

“Not a problem.” She responded quickly.

“Thanks so much.” Crissy walked all the way out.

“So what do you need sir?” Irreale asked William politely.

“Just a cut, but could you excuse me for a minute? I need to make a call.” He asked back just a sweetly in his soft voice.

“Sure.” She was curious how she could clear a room so fast but it didn’t concern her too much.

In about 15 minutes he was in her chair having inches of his beautiful hair hacked away and Crissy was still hanging out in back.

The bell on the door rang again even Crissy could hear it, she knew she’d have to reemerge.

She walked straight back out there to do her job.

And in front of her were four more men, three were blasts from her past and the last was a complete mystery.

“Crissy!” The three cheered.

Irreale looked at Crissy confused but amused.

“Hey Guys.” She said back shocked, happy, horrified, every emotion rolled into one.

“Chislett this is Crissy; Crissy this is our new guitarist Michael Guy Chislett.” The Butcher introduced the two.

“Pleasure to meet you.” His Australian accent rang through every syllable.

“Same here.” She responded lightly. “I love your accent.”

“Thank you.” He smiled back.

“So What do you guys need?” She asked trying to get down to business so she could send her past back to where it belonged.

“I need a hair cut. I’m going to tame the fro.” Adam said with all the personality she remembered as his trademark.

She remembered life with Adam T. Siska meant never a dull moment.

“Ok Adam in the chair.” She smiled at the things that never change.

“Dude you called me Adam. It has been a long time. Most people call me Sisky or Sisky Business”

“Ok Sisky get in the wash chair.” She just said it to get him in the chair. “Do you guys need anything?” She checked with everyone else just to be sure.

Mike Carden was the one to speak. “Well we could use a hairstylist for our album shoot. We want it to be someone who knows us so we don‘t get someone who overdoes it.”

“I don’t think I could.” she said hesitantly.