Status: In progress

Love Bites

Chapter 17

Jack and Alex lounged in their living room, trying to shake off the earlier horrors of the night and chattering mindlessly, sprawled out on the couch and snuggled tightly to each other.
"Can I ask you something?" Alex quietly asked, pausing to glance down at the younger vampire.
"What is it?"
Alex paused, carefully choosing his words before coming right out with it. "Do you regret being changed?"
Jack sat up, raising a brow. "Of course not. Do you regret changing me?"
"No, no," the elder murmured. "I just...what happened tonight was one of the darker realities that you hadn't experienced. I didn't know if it changed how you felt."
"Alex, nothing could ever change how I feel about this. Shit, I would even morph into a slug, if that's what happened to you. I don't care what I am, as long as it means spending an eternity with you.
Alex visibly relaxed.
"Besides," Jack continued. "I like what I am - what we are. I don't think that I'm a terrible monster, just like I never thought you were. Yes, tonight was heavy. Yes, I have moral objections to it. I just don't want to dwell on it. The bloodlust is something that comes with being a vampire. But I think that it wasn't my fault - Anna is the one who killed them. I'm at peace with the fact that I still have values and bits of my humanity, and I'm trying to focus on that aspect of the situation."
"You really are a special one, Jack. I think I've got a keeper."
Jack snorted. "Well, you're stuck with me regardless of what you think."
They both giggled and returned to snuggling up on the couch. It was quiet for a few moments before the elder spoke up again."
"Jacky?"
"Yes, Lex?"
"Do you remember our first kiss?"
Jack rolled his eyes. "Vividly. You were over at my place, and we had just ordered a pizza. Except we forgot about the pizza guy until he actually rang the doorbell because we were so distracted."
Alex smirked, pausing and letting his thoughts drift to that rainy Saturday night.

"Dude, I don't know about you, but I'm starving," Jack announced, tossing aside his Xbox controller and reaching for his phone. "You want pizza?"
The vampire internally groaned. Pizza...very appetizing. "Yeah, sure."
"Hope you like veggies," Jack sang, while Alex rolled his eyes.
"Not much of a green and leafy guy," he muttered.
If only Jack knew.
While Jack ordered their dinner, Alex stood up and began to wander around the younger boy's room, looking at pictures and random items Jack had thrown about in his cluttered space.
Jack soon hung up and glanced up at Alex, watching him curiously. "What are you doing?"
"You were a goofy looking kid," Alex noted.
"Hey, everyone has their awkward phases."
Jack scowled, getting up to swipe the picture that Alex was examining out of his hand.
"I suppose you're right. I had greasy hair and crooked teeth when I was a kid," Alex admitted.
"I have a hard time believing that."
"Why?"
"I just - I mean, you're so...uh, you just don't seem like the kind of guy to ever have had an awkward phase," Jack stammered.
If Alex could blush, he would've. "Are you calling me cute, Jack Barakat?"
Jack did blush - like a tomato. "I, well, you're a good looking guy. You've got yourself a pretty nice gene pool."
The elder grinned, stepping toward the younger and getting close enough to the point where Jack could taste the sweetness of Alex's breath.
"I've enjoyed getting to know you these past couple of months, Jacky."
The human smiled shyly, entranced in the vampire's eyes. "I like hanging out with you too, Lex. I'm glad you sat down next to me that night in the bar and stole Zack's seat."
Alex studied Jack, carefully considering the potential consequences of what he wanted to do, while the human continued to be trapped in the vampire's gaze.
The boys were silent for what seemed like a long moment, and then Alex finally spoke up.
"I want to kiss you, Jack."
"Then why aren't you?"
Alex took that as a sign that he should go for it. He gently grabbed the younger' waist and pulled him impossibly close, slowly moving his face closer to Jack's before closing the gap and slotting their lips together. Jack melted in Alex's grasp, cupping Alex's face with one hand and lightly tugging his hair with the other.
Alex knew that he had to be careful. If he got too carried away, he could either reveal himself or hurt Jack. The boy was incredibly fragile under Alex's touch and smelled dangerously sweet. The vampires instincts to kill were bubbling up to the surface, only to be soothed by the vampire's strong feelings and desire to protect Jack.
"I like you Jack," Alex blurted, breaking the kiss. "I like you as more than a friend. I just don't know if I can involve myself with you like this, with your best interests in mind."
"My best interests?" Jack questioned. "I like you too, Alex. And right now I think my best interest is to be with you."


The vampires grinned at each other, fond of their shared memory and ready to resume their night of leisure when, suddenly, the silence was shattered in that small Canadian town.
Both boys sat up immediately at the sound of a long, excruciating shriek that was too high pitched for human ears to pick up.
"Anna," Alex breathed, eyes darkening. "There's trouble."
Without another word, they were on the trail, their front door swinging open behind them.
♠ ♠ ♠
ok so I really don't even know if anyone still uses this website let alone reads this story. I very well could be writing into the void, but I have a personal attachment to this story and regardless of who reads or not, I'm determined to finish it. so if you're still out there and you happen to still get notifications or read this story, thank u very much. I really do appreciate it, and to any I let down by taking the 2 year hiatus, I'm also very sorry. but I'm here now and I'm gonna finish this damn story because these boys need a kick ass finale. much love