Status: In progress

Love Bites

Chapter 18

The boys had tracked the wails to a small motel on the outskirts of the town. Anna had yet to cease screaming and the two had become frantic, rushing up the stairwell to the second floor and bursting through the door, where they discovered a gruesome sight upon entry.
Anna sat in the middle of the room in a state of panic. Directly behind her lay a very dead vampire, torn to pieces and a wooden stake protruding from his torso.
The female vampire whipped around to defend the body of what Jack presumed was her companion, her eyes black and wild and teeth bared.
"Anna," Alex spoke calmly. "You need to tell us what happened."
She swallowed, quiet for a moment, and then returned her gaze to her lovers' body. She let out another piercing shriek, crumpling over in agony.
"Eleazar!"
Alex surged forward to put a hand on her shoulder in an attempt to console the mourning vampire, but she was not in any state to be touched. In a flash, she had Alex's arm in a crushing grip, snarling and sending him flying across the room in a fit of rage. Jack immediately became defensive of his partner, a low growl ripping up his throat. He tensed to attack, but Alex intervened.
"Jack, don't!" he called, regaining his strength and rushing to restrain him. "She didn't mean it - she's in a frenzy."
The boys looked over to see her crouched in front of her lover once more, completely succumbed to her monstrous nature and ready to defend his corpse.
"Anna," Alex called again. "Please. We're not here to harm you, we just want to help. You need to tell us what you know - maybe we can find who did this."
A pained look appeared on her features as she wailed again. Finally, she was able to somewhat calm herself, her eyes softening and her posture easing.
"He...he's gone," she gasped. "They killed him."
As she admitted this, her frenzy began to flare up, but Alex stepped forward, this time wrapping his arms around her in an attempt to keep her sane.
"Tell me what you know," he murmured and she relaxed into his grip.
She inhaled sharply and spoke, her voice quivering. "You know damn well who did this, Alexander."
This time, it was Alex's features that darkened.
"Who?" Jack questioned.
"Are you sure?" Alex continued, ignoring his companion.
"Lex, I can smell their damn stench. You know who did this."
"Can someone please tell me what the fuck is going on?" Jack interjected.
The two elder vampires glanced at each other, hesitant to speak.
"It's not safe here, love," Alex finally spoke.
Anna nodded in silent agreement, glancing once more in despair toward the corpse of what used to be her mate.
"We just got here! How could it not be safe? Was it the police who did this or something? God dammit, Alex, tell me what's going on."
"We need to leave. We'll discuss this soon. Anna, please come with us. You're not safe on your own," Alex urged.
She paused, deliberating. "I can't leave him."
"Please. I know you don't want to hear this, but it won't do you any good to stay. We need to go, before they return. If they found you and Eleazar, they certainly know about Jack and me. We're stronger in numbers. I don't want to leave you alone to face them."
She hissed. "I can't let them get away with this, Alexander. You know that I can't. If my time is at its end, then so be it. I don't want to live in a world without Eleazar."
Alex persisted, glaring at her out of frustration and despair. "You are one of my oldest friends, Anna Caterina. You are safer with us. Please."
She gave Alex a look of sadness, and reached to touch his face. "And what a pleasure it has been to call you friend. I love you dearly, Alexander, but I know what I must do. Should I survive this, I'll find you. Until then, you and your mate still have time to escape. In Brazil, I know of a coven that will help you. Go to them. Don't worry about me. Please, just keep yourself safe - and Jack."
Jack watched Alex sigh in defeat, and take her cold hands into his own. "I expect to see you soon."
Anna smiled sadly, squeezing his hands and giving him a light shove toward the door. "Go. Now."

Alex didn't say a word to Jack until they burst through the door of their rental home, moving quickly to gather any necessities and important papers they might need.
"Alex, I can't help until I know what the hell is going on. Who is coming? Who killed Anna's mate?"
Alex didn't stop gathering items, and Jack was hit with a strong sense of deja vu.
"Fucking tell me, Alex!"
"Jack," Alex muttered, shoving a handful of shirts into a duffel. "Out of all the vampire stories you heard or saw on TV growing up, who is our common enemy?"
"People?"
Alex stopped in his tracks, eyes burning into the younger's. "Think supernaturally. In every story, vampires have one enemy. Something that is out to destroy us. Something very powerful."
Jack took a second to think before he came to the realization. "Werewolves?" he questioned.
Alex nodded solemnly. "The stories aren't so far off. Shape shifters. Wargs. Lycanthropes. They're just as real as we are. They're just as deadly."
"So, you're saying that it was werewolves who murdered Anna's companion?"
"Yes, Jack. They're sadistic creatures, and they do not like to share their hunting grounds. My guess is that there's a pack nearby, and they don't particularly enjoy our company."
"Then we just leave," Jack stated. "If we leave, then they won't bother us anymore, right?"
"It's not that simple, Jack. The bloody beasts not only despise our kind, but they hold grudges. If they found Eleazar, then they must have tracked Anna's scent from her kills in the area, which means that they know about us, too. We've hunted on their land, so now they're going to hunt us."
"I don't understand, Alex," Jack continued. "We're so strong. How could they possibly take us down?"
Alex suddenly lunged forward, grabbing the younger roughly by the shoulders. "Jack, these creatures are not something to be taken lightly. Yes, we're very powerful, but so are they. And in packs, they're deadly. I won't let them get to you. I can't let anything happen to you."
Jack's features darkened. "So what do we do now?"
"We run."
♠ ♠ ♠
ok to prove my loyalty I have provided two updates in one day! looks like things are getting too spicy for the pepper!!!

also I borrowed a vamp name from twilight sorry steph meyer