Status: In progress

Love Bites

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The next day, the sun was particularly brutal. Alex stood by the window, testing himself, seeing how long he could hold his pinky finger in the sunlight before it become uncomfortable. Even though Alex could walk in the daylight, the heat of the sun made his vampire blood boil. He could hardly bear it at some points, especially in the summertime.
He knew in his gut that the only reason the sun seemed particularly hot was because he had fed last night, and not just on anyone. He had wildly, viciously and shamelessly fed on the love of his life, Jack Barakat. And now he was certain the latter was gone and would never forgive him for this. Maybe he despised him now, and thought of him as a demon. Maybe he had taken it to the police, and they were coming to drive a stake through his heart this very moment. Alex decided he wouldn’t run this time. He deserved it – to die. He wouldn’t compel the officers to leave and forget. He would just willingly go. Because to Alex, an existence without Jack is an existence that isn’t worth living. As if he could already stand living with himself after everything he’d done to Jack. He’d harmed a beautiful, innocent boy – his own, beautiful, innocent boy. He’d lost control and drank his blood – something Alex had promised himself he would never do. And now it was all over. He was ready to die. Monsters like him weren’t meant to exist.
The sudden rap on the door confirmed his guesses. He walked slowly to the handle on the door and grasped it, hesitating to face his demise before pulling it open to reveal Jack, standing alone. His hand had been bandaged and he looked as if he hadn’t slept all night. Without saying anything, he pushed past a very confused Alex and stepped into the house. Maybe he’d come to kill him on his own.
“I came to ask you something,” Jack whispered after a long pause.
Alex nodded his head. Jack took in a deep breath.
“What…what are you?” Jack averted his eyes after the question slipped out, hands bracing a chair that sat nearby.
Alex sighed. “Jack, I understand if you hate me, or are afraid of me, or want to kill me. I wouldn’t blame you.”
“Answer my question.” Jack’s voice was sharp and firm now.
There was a pause. “I’m…”
Jack sucked in another breath and finished his sentence. “At first, I thought you were just mentally insane and had some fetish for human blood…but then I saw your eyes and your teeth, and I saw how quickly you moved and how strong you are, and I know I would never usually believe in this shit, but I’m pretty sure of what you are. You…you’re a vampire, aren’t you?”
Alex bit his lip. “Yes…I am.”
For a few minutes, the silence in the room was deafening. Jack was trying to process everything he’d just learned, and Alex was trying to read Jack’s emotions, studying his facial expressions and movements.
After about fifteen minutes of utter quiet, Jack finally spoke.
“Okay.”