Status: In progress

Love Bites

Chapter 4

Chapter 4
Alex blinked twice at that.
“Okay?” he questioned. “You just found out the monster-less world you know is a lie and you just say okay?!”
“Yeah, pretty much.”
“Jack, I FED on you. I lost control when I saw blood. I could kill you, if I lost control again…”
“It’s okay, Lex. I trust you.”
Alex looked at him as if he had three heads.
“Alright. What part of ‘I drank your blood in a crazed frenzy’ do you not understand?”
“But you stopped,” Jack murmured quietly.
“What do you mean?”
“At first, I was shocked and all I could do was just stand there and flip the fuck out. And you didn’t even hear me, your eyes were closed and you were attached to my arm like a pitbull or something. But then I said your name, Lex, I said your name and you looked at me and you stopped. Yes, I was terrified, angry and completely bewildered, but then I thought about it all last night. If you were a vampire then that meant you eat people, or suck them dry or whatever. And if you didn’t care about me so much, you would’ve killed me right then and there. You love me, Alex, and I’ve decided that what you are doesn’t change who you are. And who you are, is the boy that I fell in love with months ago.”
Alex was speechless, and Jack took that as a sign to keep talking.
“Besides, this explains so much! I know why you hate going outside on a sunny day now, and why you wouldn’t come into my house until I said it was okay. And I know now why your skin is so cold, and why you’re so charming and why you were so easily able to seduce me without even doing anything when we first met. It all makes sense. And, call me crazy, but for some reason I’m okay with that. I still feel the same about you.”
Alex couldn’t believe his ears. Here was Jack, so astonishingly perfect, and even now that he knew what Alex was, he still loved him and didn’t look at him as a monster. The only perfect human being Alex had ever come across in all his years, and he could proudly call him his own. And Jack felt the same way. He strode across the room to Alex, grasping him and pulling him into an embrace.
“Nothing could ever make me let you go.”
“I love you Jack, so fucking much,” Alex murmured into his shoulder.
“I love you too, Lex.”
They let go of each other, and Alex laughed out of relief and disbelief.
“I can’t believe this,” he admitted. “Usually the angry villagers would be assembling.”
“Think about how I feel,” Jack pointed out. “There’s so much I need to know! I have a million questions.”
Alex sat down at the kitchen table and patted the seat next to him.
“Ask away.”
Jack plopped himself down. “How old are you?”
“Three hundred and eight years old.”
His eyes widened. “Where are you from?”
“Essex, England. I was born in 1705 and was turned in 1727. I was on my way home from the pub, and very drunk, when someone attacked me and snapped my neck, or so I thought. Next thing I knew, I was woken up in a back alley by an old shop owner, and for some reason I craved to drink her blood. I tried to resist, but she already had an open wound on her hand and the smell was so pungent, I couldn’t resist. It all began from there.”
“What do you eat? Like, people or…can you eat normal food?”
Alex grimaced. “Uh, it kind of depends,” he admitted. “I can eat human food, but it’s not really something I do unless I have to.”
“So…you kill people?” Jack asked, his voice low.
“Not intentionally,” Alex rushed. “Sometimes, I just compel them to let me have a quick bite and that’ll be the end of that. But other times, if it’s been a while since I’ve eaten, I just get carried away…”
Jack stared at him for a moment and swallowed. “It’s okay, Alex. You can’t help that.”
Alex shrugged and gave a tiny smile.
“So, do you miss being a human?”
“More than ever,” Alex sighed. “But I do admit, if I had died back in the 1700’s, I would’ve never met you. So this has some very positive aspects.”
Jack grinned. “Alright last question…for now. How fast can you run?”
Alex smirked at that. “You really wanna know?”
He leaned in as he spoke, his sweet, compelling breath dancing across Jack’s cheeks.
“Y-yeah, show me,” he stuttered.
Before Jack even knew what was happening, he was on Alex’s back and out the door. They flew through the back woods of Alex’s yard, dodging branches and rocks, with Alex’s feet moving so quickly Jack couldn’t even see them. The wind stung his cheeks but he didn’t even pause to think about it. This was by far too exhilarating.
“Keep your mouth closed, Jack, you might swallow a bug,” Alex called out over the sound of the wind.
Jack just laughed and nuzzled his face into Alex’s caramel colored hair for a second then poked his head back up to see them gliding into a field. Alex’s paced slowed to a normal walk and he carefully lifted Jack off his back and set him down on his feet. He swayed, clutching to the vampire’s shirt for support.
“Wow,” he breathed.
Alex just grinned and kissed his nose.
“It’s no big deal.”
“It’s a huge deal,” Jack exclaimed. “Think of all the bullies you could’ve helped me outrun in grade school!”
The elder chuckled, lacing his fingers into Jack’s. “I can be your protector from now on.”
With that, Jack snuggled into Alex’s side, sighing contently.
“My vampire boyfriend is the coolest.”
They laid down in the grass for a few moments, not saying a word. Alex longed to lay there forever, but not too many seconds later his senses picked up on something.
“We need to be going,” he told Jack, pulling him to his feet.
“Why?”
“It’s going to storm. I can smell it.”
Jack stood there confused, but then jumped when a raindrop hit his cheek.
“Come on,” Alex laughed, tugging his arm as the rain picked up and thunder cracked.
“No,” Jack murmured, pulling him back.
He gazed into his deep mahogany eyes as the rain darkened his hair and the droplets touched his perfect face. With one hand, Jack touched the drops and they rolled off onto his own skin and then onto the ground below where they both stood, bodies touching. He leaned in slowly, barely touching his lips to Alex’s before thunder shook the ground. The fire between them grew, and suddenly Alex was everywhere, enveloping him into an embrace. Jack’s fingers clung to his hair, clutching him as close as possible as their tongues slid back and forth and their mouths moved in unison. The rain soaked their bodies, making them somehow closer as they molded perfectly to each other’s shape. Alex broke the kiss, touching their lips gently once, twice, a third time before smiling at his boyfriend through the rain. And in their small, perfect moment, they both knew that the other was their saving grace.