Sequel: Love & Loneliness

Say Those Three Little Words

Chapter Fifteen

After his son left, Ian closed the door and leaned against the wood. Looking around the room silently, he saw the small home in a new perspective; It was no longer the crappy, barely furnished abode he first saw it as. It was now the scene of his first ever crime. It was now the place where he murdered someone he used to love.

Sinking to the floor, he carefully laid the knife down beside him. He felt like he was going crazy, like hands were appearing out of nowhere and tugging at different parts of his brain, pulling and stretching until the organ gives up and collapses on itself. Ian covered his ears, tugged at his hair, silently begged for the feeling to stop.

He let out a scream —- one prolonged, broken note —- and laid on his side. I just killed my ex wife. I tried to kill my son. What’s wrong with me?

He spoke his last thought out loud, repeating it, pondering on it, yet coming up with no answers. Ian didn’t know how long he laid in that position, but when the light outside slowly started to fade, the man got up and put the knife back in its rightful spot.

Only one fear still lingered his mind, and he clutched his stomach as a wave of nausea washed over him. I let Oli escape. He’ll call the police… and I’ll be done for. I can’t let that happen. He looked around the room once more. But how will I stop him?

~*~


After recounting the horrifying events for Josh and his parents, Oli sat in the middle of the living room floor, hugging his knees to his chest. He was trying to keep himself together, to stop the dreadful pain from spreading within his body. Josh clutched him closely, rubbing his back and singing softly admist his own tears.

He remembers when he found out about his own parents’ death. More so, he remembers the pain and guilt that plagued him for years, the constant shift to foster homes -- four, to be exact -- before someone gave him a chance, the feeling of being out of place in the alien home for years.

He knew what it was like to lose a parent, and he knew exactly what Oli needed right now.

“C’mon,” he whispered, lifting the elder’s arm a bit. They slowly stood to their feet, and Josh guided his distraught boyfriend down the stairs.

His bedroom was in the basement, a personal request from when he first moved in. Harvey had worked hard at getting the room suitable for the 13 year old Josh, the latter sleeping on the couch until it was finished.

He was still proud of its position — it gave him a privacy he otherwise never would’ve acquired.

Once they entered the room, Oli collapsed on the bed. Josh crawled in next to him. He gathered the boy into his arms, momentarily reaching down to cover them with the comforter. Oli grasped a handful of Josh’s shirt. The teenager planted a small kiss on the top of his head, pressing his body closer. “Babe?”

“Yeah?” The word was choked with emotion.

“I-It’s okay to let it out. Keeping all your emotions inside isn’t healthy, love.”

“I-I know… I just…” He sighed. “I won’t be a-able to stop.”

“I don’t mind.”

They fell silent. Outside, the wind blew branches against the window, scratching against the surface and throwing shadows around the room. The moon was a full one that night, lighting the world with a ghostly glow.

Josh shifted so he was more comfortable and ran a hand through Oli’s hair. The elder sniffled softly, wiping a stray tear on the collar of Josh’s shirt. The hurt and sense of loneliness was radiating from his body, covering them in a shield of negative energy.

"Oli, just let it out." Josh whispered again. "I'm here for you. You'll feel better after you cry, I promise."

A shudder that had been contained for quite some time went through the elder’s body. It was like Josh's words flipped the switch that allowed the caged animal to escape, and Oli cried long and hard into Josh’s shirt, spilling out all of his emotions and feeling the familiar release that only self harm gave him before.

As if the teen read his thoughts, Josh lightly touched Oli’s bandaged arm. It was still red and slightly wet. He looked up at the ceiling, silently praying for anything that could help him make one of the most important people in his life happy again.

Upstairs, the Mansfields sat in solitude at their dining room table. They haven't moved since Oli spilled out his story.

Harvey lightly dipped a finger into his now cold coffee, swirled it around, and brought it to his lips. It was bland and tasteless. Meghan looked up, made brief eye contact with her husband, then returned her gaze to the floor. Her hands were folded in her lap, thumbs mindlessly twirling together.

They didn’t know what to say or do; neither of them were able to fathom the difficult situation their son’s boyfriend was in.

“Should we call the police anyway?” She spoke quietly, slowing bringing her gaze upwards. One of the most important things she remembered from earlier that night was Oli adamantly saying "don't call the cops."

“You know how Oli feels about it...” Harvey replied, eyes darkening over the memory of when he first met with Carol Sykes. From the first few minutes of conversation, he could tell she was a wonderful, caring human being, one that didn’t deserve to die in the way she did. “We'll wait until he's ready.”

“I know he’s scared of his father’s threat and that's why he doesn't want to call the cops… but he’ll be safe. Ian would have to go through us first.”

“I think that scares him even more.” Harvey sighed, glancing towards the basement door. “He’s a gentle kid. He’d rather die then see those he loves hurt…”

“Especially if it’s Josh…” Meghan whispered. Harvey gave her a questioning look. “Have you not noticed? The way he looks at him… the fear he has when anything is mentioned that could potentially harm our son? I-I…” her voice lowered even more. “Is it even possible in just a week?”

“What are you talking about, Meghan?”

Her eyes were shining, a small smile creeping on to her face. “I think… I think he’s in love with Josh. Oh, Harvey! Is it possible? They haven’t been dating that long but…”

“Honey, love has no limitations.” Harvey said, also smiling. He got up, his joints popping, and gathered his wife into his arms. “I knew when I first saw you that you were the one for me, and look where we are now… about to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. So, I believe you could fall in love in just a week.”

He kissed her. “I’m glad, too. Oli is the perfect match for our son. I can see them going far.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Suffering from a minor writer’s block but I really needed to update so yeah…

And I just wanted to say to everyone who reads/comments/subscribes to this story — thank you. You guys are what motivate me to keep this story going; otherwise I would’ve given up a few chapters ago. I love you all. Seriously, thank you for being the wonderful people you are. (: