Status: I will try and update every week :)

Forbidden Sunset

Discoveries and Secrets – Jake - Present

~The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep.~
-E. W. Howe-

“Pinkie swear?”

“Pinkie swear.”


The words drifted into my head as I played with a nickel between my fingers. I was 12 and she was 10. We were both in the same grade, since Emily was a super smart kid and was able to skip Kindergarten and Grade 1. Hence, us both being in Mrs. Spence’s grade 6 class.

Since Emily was so young, people constantly bullied her, whether they were threatened by her or just did it for fun. I thought back then they were cruel and I stood up for Emily whenever I could. But that was years ago, before my vampire powers kicked in. Now I was a monster, a cruel, cold hearted soul.

Image


“I don’t even know what to say! You are supposed to be taking care of her, not using her fear against her!” My mom shouted at me.

I was in her office (again) and she was spazzing over Emily’s current… situation. How she found out about it… I have no idea.

“Why are you blaming me? She’s the one who poured wine all over Ashley’s dress! I am just punishing her.” I defend myself.

“You should have had control over that situation. You know that Emily has anger issues, and by you stepping back and letting her dealing with it, you are just as bad as Ashley.” She doesn’t give me a chance to speak, and continues. “I am very, very, disappointed in you, son. I don’t know what else to tell you, but you attitude needs to change. I hate the way you think that you are above everyone else just because you are the Prince. Well, that is all you’re ever going to be if this attitude doesn’t stop.” My Mom threatens.

“What did you mean by the last part?” I demand.

“Your father and I have come to this conclusion.” Mom motions for Dad, and he stands up and walks up beside her.
“You will not be getting the crown if your behavior continues. Your cousin Ben will be getting it.” Dad explains calmly.

I lose my cool. I jump out of my chair fast, knocking it over. “What! Are you kidding me!? Ben treats his slaves way worse, so bad they only last a week or 2. A month at the most. He is the most selfish, cockiest, stupidest kiss-up you’ll ever meet in your entire lives!” I roar at them.

My parents share a look between them and I read their thoughts. “I knew telling him this was a bad idea.” My Mom thinks. “Yes, but it is the only way to get through his thick head.

My father sighs and says, “He may not be the kindest master, but he has great leadership skills. He actually takes school seriously and has the making to become a great lawyer. Someone like that would be great for the kingdom Plus Ben listens to his parents instead of ignoring them.” My Dad concludes.

I feel like someone has lit a knife on fire and keeps stabbing it my cold, dead heart. My parents are comparing to that pathetic-excuse-of-a-man! That just hurts…

“Go and receive Emily. Make sure you care for her. One more dumb move like this, and I swear, you will not get the crown.” My father dismisses me, leaving me to stomp out of the room like an angry child.
How dare they threaten me with the thrown! And with Ben of all people! I curse his names about a thousand times as I make my way to the basement.

I stop in front of the door where Emily is thinking. Years ago I promised her that I would never do this to her. For a second I’m back in grade 6 and Emily’s locked in that closet. I feel my heart break a little, and I almost feel sorry about doing this. Almost.

I open the door (and the smell in here is horrific. I guess it would be since there was no toilet) and find Emily in a small bundle in the farthest corner away from the door. She has her legs pulled closely to her, her head resting on her knees. If it wasn’t for her faint heartbeat and her chest slightly moving up and down, I would think she was dead.

“Emily, Emily.” I call out to her, slowly advancing. She doesn’t move. I’m right in front of her and she hasn’t taken any notice of my presence. Her short blue dress that she wore 2 days ago is ripped and dirty, never to be used again. “Pity.” I think. “Such a pretty dress, wasted.”

I exhale and grab Emily’s elbow. She awakes fast, and when she sees me her eyes narrow. Before I even have a chance to speak, her right fist collided with my nose. I heard a crack, but no blood poured out. In a second my nose was healed.

“I hate you Jacob Cameron. I hate you more than anything in this world. You promised me, pinkie swore that you would never do this. And look what you did. I have been in here for 2 days! 2 days! I have had no food, no water and have been stuck in this tiny, dirty cell for 48 hours. The least you could have done was tell me how long I was going to be stuck here. You know how I found out?! I overheard the guards talking. I begged them to let me out, but they just laughed and mocked me. Every hour they would tell me how long I have been in here. I thought you were kidding. I thought you’d only leave me in here for a few minutes, max an hour. But you were going to leave me here to die.” She rants.

I’m surprised, I didn’t think she would even have the energy. I open my mouth to say something, but she holds up her hand weakly, cutting me off. “And you know what?! I hope you don’t get the crown, because you are the last person I would want as my ruler.” She snaps. Her words sink in and I realize I never mentioned anything about me not getting the crown. I haven’t said anything in fact…

“How’d you know about the crown situation?” I demand, shaking her weak body by the shoulders. “I, I don’t know. I knew you were angry and I somehow knew that was what it was about.” She admitted.

I shook her one last time for good measure, still pondering the mystery. She was human, but had an ability. Weird. I was going to have to ask my Mom about that.

I carried her up the stairs and into the kitchen, barking at the French chef to make her something. Chicken soup was placed before her in a matter of minutes and she drank it down without touching the spoon. She had 2 more bowls are downed a pitcher of water without a second thought. The chef also gave her same pills, to make sure the food would stay in her belly and not on my floor.

I carried her up to the dressing room and walked in without knocking. I told Christiana to get her clean and I’d be back in an hour.

Image


I walked back to my Mom’s study and to contentment my father was no longer in there. I was still mad, but not getting the crown was the last thing on my mind.

“Mom, something seriously is going on with Emily. I went to go get her and she knew exactly why I was mad. What’s up with that? I thought humans didn’t have powers.” I ask, taking a seat.

My Mom shuts her laptop and looks at me with grim eyes. “I…. I have done some research about Emily and her history. I have discovered something that changes everything.” My mother said and told me what she had discovered.

I was in pure shock. How could this be? I have known Emily my whole life, and there is no way this is true.

“Mother, please tell me your kidding.” I beg. She shakes her head. “Everything I have just told you is true. I will tell Emily, but not yet. She needs to get better first.” My mother concludes and dismisses me.

I walk back to the dressing room in shock, barely watching where I was going. I bumped into 3 people on the way there, but didn’t even get mad at them.

Emily was the only thing on my mind. A lot of things made sense now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Interesting chapter huh? The secret will be revealed in the chapters to come! :)