Status: I will try and update every week :)

Forbidden Sunset

Childhood Memories - Emily - Present (Part 2)

~It sucks when you fall in love with your best friend, because when it's over, they are the one person you want to comfort you.~

-Unknown-
Emily’s POV
I woke up to the smell of pancakes and bacon. I sit up in bed and discover Jake standing above me in a fancy butler tux holding a silver tray. “Your breakfast milady.” He says in an English accent.

I glace over to the clock and it reads 10:45.

“Jake? What are you doing?” I ask confused.

He places the tray on my lap and I see a massive plate covered in pancakes, bacon, sausages and scrambled eggs. A glass of orange is in the top right corner and in the left, a small gravy-boat is filled with syrup.

“So what’s the occasion?” I ask dipping my pinky finger into the syrup.

“Today is your birthday Miss. Emily. And I have a whole day planned out just for you.” With that he snaps on a party hat, the plastic string hitting my chin hard.

I wince. But the pain is forgotten quickly because it’s my birthday?

“It’s May 15th already?” I ask cutting into a pancake. Strange how you forgot your own birthday.

“Yep. And as soon as you’re done your breakfast, we’ll be heading out.” Jake turned and walked to the door. “Oh and your birthday outfit is in the bathroom. I’ll be back in 2 hours. Be changed and ready to go.” He shuts the door gently behind him and I smile.

Whatever he had planned for today I was excited for.

[img]
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af32/understandreams/400_F_3567131_TyQmoFWmgvILrh0SZfuqUzWA5JzKDtJX.jpg[/img]


Jake had his hands sealed over my eyes and my hands were wrapped around his arms to steady me. Finally the hands are realised and I blink a little from the light. I gasp.

I’m back in Jake and I’s old hangout spot. Its tucked in-between massive trees, so very few even know about it. There is a small creek running through it and it is only waist deep. The water is cool and refreshing and great to drink in a hot summer’s day. The grass is already bright green and flowers are in full bloom.

Right near the creek is a tree and leaning against it is 2 water guns and buckets filled with water balloons. “Jake, is this what I think it is?” I ask looking up at him with a grin starting to grow on my face.

“Yep. The 3rd and final round of our epic battle: The Water Wars.” We both laugh as we walk over to the guns and balloons.

“You know I won the last round right?” Even though I was in grade 6 when this happened, I will never forget the day I beat Jake Cameron at the Water Wars.

“Alright sunshine, on 3 we start this thing. Got it?” I nod ready to get this game started.

“Grab your ammo and then back a step away from the tree when I say a number, ‘kay?” He says.

I nod and grab the water gun and grab one of the buckets filled with water balloons. “One.” He says and we both move forward. “Two.” I take another step forward and then grin. Who says I couldn’t start until he said so?

I turn around quickly and throw one of my balloons at him, soaking his hair. “Hey, I didn’t say ‘go’ you cheater!” Jake shouts with fake anger. I grin.

“I did. I just forgot to say it out loud.” And with that we launch into a full blown water fight, balloons flying and water soaking us both from head to toe.

Jake was kind and only ran at human speed, making the game fairer and easier for me. But after 20 minutes of hard core fighting, I was plum tired. I throw my last balloon half effort and Jake sees this as an opportunity to strike. He runs at me and picks me up around the waist and swings me around, water from my clothing spraying everywhere.

“Jake! Jake pit me down!” I scream. I can almost see him grinning as he spins me and I grin like Goofy when he finally puts me down.

I wobble and the world is spinning. One of Jake’s many arms grabs me before I topple over and helps steady me until I able to stand on my own. Jake looks down at me and I smile up him. We are so close. And we are getting closer, and closer and closer until our lips touch. I press into him and throw my arms around him, wanting him even closer. His arm wrap around my waist and our lips are moving to an unknown music.

But as much as I wanted to continue kissing Jake, I knew I couldn’t. This was wrong and I had to put an end to it. I pull away and I could feel Jake’s disappointment. “Jake, I can’t do this. We can’t do this.” I say, looking at the ground.

“Why not Em? Didn’t you feel that? That… that magic? I’ve kissed a lot of girls in my time, but none of those measured up to this one.” I blush at the complement, but don’ let myself be won over that easily. “Why do you think this is wrong?” He asks quietly.

“Because.” I turn to face him and let out a deep breath. I had been holding these feelings in for so long I didn’t know what would happen once I let them out. “Because of how bad you hurt me Jake. We were friends. No, we were best friends and I loved you like a brother. You were always there for me, whether it was 9 am in the morning or 11pm at night I could always count on you. But you let me down.” I pause but not long enough for him to say anything.

“On the last day of grade 6 you told me that we would make it through Jr. High together and no matter what happened, Emily and Jake would have each other’s back because that’s what friends do. They are there for each other. But then I didn’t see you all summer. Your Mom told me you were sick and I spent all summer making soups, cookies and cards, anything to cheer you up while you were on bed rest. I found out a few of months ago that you weren’t sick, you were changing into a full vampire.” I exhale again and glance up at him. His expression is hard to read, so I continue.

“The first day of grade 7 you were there and I was more than excited to see you. I couldn’t wait for us to get our schedules and complain about the cafeteria food like they do in the movies.” I smile briefly. “But you were too cool for me apparently. You wanted nothing to do with me and when you were around me, you bullied me. Hurt me. Hit me. I couldn’t believe in 2 months my best friend had turned into a bully.”

“Emily, I don’t know what to say.” Jake started, but it wasn’t his turn to speak. I wasn’t finished.

“You made my Jr. High years a living hell Jake. I had hard time making friends with you constantly spreading rumors and I considered killing myself numerous times and almost did.” I say and Jake’s face looks like it’s about to crack. His eyes are getting full of tears.

“And when I heard you were moving in grade 9 Jake, that was the happiest day of my life. I wouldn’t have to worry about you hurting me and I could actually come to school without looking behind me every 5 seconds to make sure you weren’t there about to stick things onto my back or push me into a wall. But you want to know the last thing I remember before you left Jake?”

He puts his hands on my arms, tears falling down his pale cheeks. “Please Emily, I’m so sorry.” He whispers, but I shrug him off.

“I remember you coming into my house and finding me. Our parents had gone on their night out, so it was just us alone. You were so cocky and smug and said you would find reasons to come and visit me. I yelled and screamed at you, telling you to get a life and to leave me alone. And you know what you did? You threw me down a flight of stairs causing me to break my left leg and fracture my arm. I was in a wheelchair for weeks, Jake!” The anger is rising in me and I don’t try to control it.

“You left me at the bottom of the stairs crying telling me it was all my fault and that bad decisions have bad consequences. It was all your dam fault and yet I was the one in the wheelchair! Luckily the neighbours overheard and came to my aid and my parents met me at the hospital. But you were never seen again. My parents asked time after time what had happened and what did I say? I said I had tripped and fell. I knew they didn’t believe me, but I didn’t want to tell them the truth.”

“Emily, I know that nothing will ever make up for what I did, but I need you to know that I am so, so, so sorry. I was an idiot, a jerk, a stuck up snob who liked hurting people. I discovered that if you hurt the people your closet to, you get more of a reaction. But I know what I did was wrong and if there was a way to turn back time, I would do it.” He says, looking me right in the eye. I know he is serious (and I appreciate that) but I can’t forgive him that easily.

“But why Emily? Why after all the things I did to you, why did you still protect me? You never told anyone what was going on. Why?” Jake asks.

My anger leaves and sadness fills its place. Tears start to form. “Because I loved you. At the end of grade 6 I made a vow to tell you that I liked you and wanted to be with you. But you were sick all summer and then in grade 7 you were a jerk. But I still liked you because I thought it was just a faze or you were doing it for a bet. But grade 7 came and left and you never got any better. So I gave up hope and moved on. But after kissing you I ealized that I had never truely moved on and I still liked you. I had still hoped that... that somewhere in you was the old Jake I loved.”

"So why don't you give me a chance Em? Please, all I'm asking for is another chance." He takes his hands in mine, our fingers connecting. I kind of like the feeling of his hands in mine. But I pull away.

"Because all yur going to do is break my heart again. See, that's what you do Jake. Lead people on until they put their trust in you and then bam you betray them. So I'm locking up my heart and never letting you in again." I turn away, facing him was to painful

With tears streaming down my cheeks I walk away, my heart breaking in two. Even though Jake was nevr truely mine, I feel like I've lost him all over again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is the promised chapter! Sorry it took me 2 months to post it though... :)

Special thanks to twejacobbr for motivating me to write this!

Also thanks to all my subscribers because the number has gone up from 46 to 57 in the last 2 months! Your support really means a lot to me you guys! :)