Something To Prove

Confidence

Sam always thought she was something special. She listened to her elders, always followed her parents rule, and did everything her friends asked of her. She always believed that her loyalty was something that made her different. She was right in a sense; however, her friends saw fit to abuse it. Somewhere deep down she knew that she had no code, nothing that she would fight for and no matter how deep she tried to bury that feeling, it would always resurface eating her up inside.

It didn’t matter the amount of times she ended up getting left with all the blame, her inability to stand for something for anything, made it impossible for her to change. All though out her childhood she fell for the same old things, and if she was honest with herself she was getting tired of it. The only problem was she didn’t know how to fix it or where to even begin.

To make matters worse she wasn’t even human, she was a Kangy-were. The elders made it clear that nobody of their mob was allowed to leave town without going to the elders first in case of exposure. All Sam had around her were mob members, making it nearly impossible to talk to anyone about how to fix her problem. Even if she did try to talk to anyone they wouldn’t be able to help. They liked her the way she was… a total and complete pushover in other words a submissive.

Take for instant, at ten Sam and her friends wanted to get revenge on the neighbor boys so they hatched a plan to get the boys in trouble with the elders. However it backfired, causing the girls to get the blame in turn leading to Sam getting all the blame.

Sam was tasked with retrieving the candy. The candy was to be taken form the elders house making it look like the guys had stolen it like they did with the winter festival cake. But Sam got caught red handed while her friends escaped getting off scott free. While Sam’s loyalty was true by not ratting out her friends they didn’t show the same kind of loyalty for her. They didn’t say anything to the elders when asked. While Sam was banned from the spring festival, her friends went taking photos and sending them to her.

Then at seventeen, the summer after high school graduation Sam and her friends snuck out to a human party with some of the other members of their mob. There was alcohol, drugs, and loud music. Her girlfriends were getting it on with some human boys, while the boys were scouting out the local tail. That’s when they heard the sirens everyone started to scatter.

Sam was gone and out the door until she heard her name called by her friend. Once again her loyalty reared its ugly head. On her way in Sam grabbed a few of the mob guys to help her. They weren’t supposed to be there let alone get caught by the human authorities. When they found her friend she was on the ground with a sprained ankle and vomit on her skirt. One of the guys picked her up and carried her out. Sam was right behind them; she was almost out the door when the police busted in and told everyone to freeze. She was lucky that she wasn’t eighteen yet; she got stuck with two hundred hours of community hours, plus the elders of the mob had her punished. Once again her friends didn’t offer to help. While they enjoyed their summer she was stuck at the compound, while they once again sent her photos.

There were other incidents but none that left such a lasting impression. However after the party, things were to change. Every Joey at the age of eighteen went in front of the elders to be given their duty to the mob.

Being a part of the mob they had no choice about their future. They were a part of the collection, and to keep the mob safe their path was planned to benefit the mob as a whole. They still lived by human law to keep from being noticed, but they acted differently.

To the mob the place that they lived and prospered was called M. Compound, to others it was known as a backwater town or more like a pit stop…Mustard, Ca. They were so out of the way that they didn’t even show up on the map. Their town was located in the Sierra Range. The nearest human town was a two hour drive through the mountains. Mustard was tucked away, only lost travelers ever visited. They were treated with hospitality, but the sooner they left the happier the elders were.

Even though they were off the map to people traveling, the government knew where they were. With big brother watching the elders made sure they looked like any other town at least on paper.

As a self-sustaining town they always saw fit to pick and choose who they believed would be best suited for certain trades. That is how Sam became into her trade as a school teacher.

Looking back now she knew it was a blessing in disguise. They wanted her to go to a school near another mob, but she purposely sabotaged herself to go to another college that was nowhere near any mob. They didn’t want her going but they knew soon in the future they would need a teacher. Lucky for her she got to choose her major.

For six long years, she lived without a mob. She got to meet new people, and date a few humans. They only lasted a month two tops if she was lucky. They didn’t like how she never stuck up for herself. Even in college she couldn’t get away from her submissive nature. That usually was the reason she couldn’t keep a boyfriend.

She never forgot what her philosophy teacher said the day she graduated and got her teaching credentials. She remembered the conversation clearly.

“Congratulation, I remember the first time you walked in my class. After Bobby Turner told you to move cause it was her seat. I knew you weren’t going to last. I’m glad you proved me wrong.”

“Thanks Professor Botle. I didn’t think so either but I had to be tough it out.” She let go of Botle’s hand then embraced her in a farewell hug.

“Sam you need to stand up for what you want, fight for it.” Sam closed her eyes. She had taken a major step forward from being a pushover and a total submissive, but nature is always hard to overcome.

“How?” Sam Whispered.

“Confidence…Confidence in yourself.” With that Botle gave a finally squeeze and pulled away.


She remembered wanting to ask how to do that, Botle had already moved on to the next graduate, but she gave Sam a final wink and turned away. Even on her way back to Mustard all she could think about was somehow building her confidence.