Something To Prove

Surprise

Sam shut the door and leaned against her car, letting everything sink in. Starting tomorrow she would be the new art teacher. It wouldn’t be a very big class, but Tabitha had a way of making the rest of the Elders feel somewhat guilty for not holding Sam’s position while she was away.

Taking a deep breath, Sam pushed off her car. Walking towards her house, she stopped mid step and gasped. Her childhood house was no more. The four wall yellow house was now a multi room chalet. The yard was once overrun with weeds and rusted metals, now the yard almost looked like it had a feminine touch: a white picket fence, a bed of roses, a trail of stepping stones, wild flowers, growing vegetables, a humming bird feeder, and a bird bath. The house was even a shade of pink.

Sam carefully opened the fence gate, afraid she may break it; it looked so delicate. Sam followed the stepping stone trail to the front door, careful not to step on the perfectly manicured lawn. Before she could even knock on the front door; it swung open.

“Samantha!!” Sam. She stepped back thrown off by the stranger in her house. She was a petite women with curly, to the point of fizziness, blond hair. Her smile was blinding white and a little creepy.

“Who are you?” Sam asked ducking out of her grabbing arms.

“Oh silly me. Of course you don’t know who I am.” The unknown lady stepped back and straightened out her clothes. “I’m Maggie Stane you’re soon to be your mother.” She opened her arms for a hug.

Sam stepped back. “Dad!” She ducked from Maggie again and ran down a random hallway. “Dad! Where are you?” Sam glanced over her shoulder.

“Oh Samantha!” Sam. “Stop running I didn’t mean to scare you!”

“Dad? Who is thi-” Sam stopped at the end of the hallway and into a room with no exit and turned around horrified. Sam stared at Maggie and Maggie smiled back.

“Samantha,” Sam, “there is nothing to be scared of.” Maggie put her hands out in a peace symbol.

“Really I could argue that. Dad!” Sam put her back to the wall.

“Sam, honey, you’re here.” Sam’s dad walked behind Maggie and wrapped his arms around her. “I see you’ve met Maggie here.”

“Yeahhh.” Sam raised her eyebrows in a questioning manner. “Want to explain, please.” Sam spread her arms encompassing her dad and Maggie.

“Oh Tommy, did you not tell her?” Maggie looked up at Tommy adoringly.

“Boo roo, I was waiting till she got home. I was hoping I would get to talk to her before you two met.” He then kissed her cheek and released her, walking towards Sam.

“Well I was hoping to break this easier, but seeing as you already know. Maggie is from the Greenplain Mob and well we hit things off and we’ve been together for three years, finally proposed to her in January.”

“And well I said yes. To be honest it wasn’t love at first sight, but our love blossomed and I just couldn’t stay away.” Maggie walked up to Tommy and rubbed her hand up his arm.

Sam couldn’t watch them anymore, and looked away. It was just too weird for her. When she heard them kiss she had to end it. “Ok, ok, you two are together. So when is the wedding?” when the kissing noise stopped Sam looked back. Tommy had his arm around her again.

“Two months from now. I’ve always loved the month of October,” Maggie gooed. Sam finally took a good look at the scene playing before her. They loved each other. Her dad had finally found someone else and it only took Sam going away for it to happen.

“Sam, honey, are you okay with this?” Maggie looked up with pure hope in her eyes. Maggie wanted Sam to like her. The truth was Sam didn’t know anything about her, and didn’t want to say yes. Maggie was trying to replace the image of her real mom. She hadn’t seen her father in six years and during her childhood her dad was always busy working.

“Yeah, yeah… its fine,” Sam said with a bright fake smile.

“That’s good,” Maggie smiled back then jumped. “Is something burning? Oh my! My casserole.” Her eyes bugled as she pushed out of Tommy’s arms and ran off in the direction of the kitchen.

Sam didn’t realize she had jumped until her dad was next to her, rubbing her shoulder. “Honey, are you okay with this? I know it’s a little fast for you but I really love her.” Sam looked her dad in the face and knew he was telling the truth. He did love Maggie and was happy, truly happy. He no longer had the look from when she was growing up.

“Yeah, I mean I was just surprised by the new house and her, but it’s fine, really.” Sam gave her dad a real smile, he needed her approval. The smile was for him being happy but not for Maggie. It was prideful but she was willing to sacrifice herself for her dad.

“Thanks honey. Now if I’m not mistaken you accepted the teaching position and possible mate match?” Sam was stunned, how did her dad know. “I know that look. Surprised I know?” Sam nodded speechless. “Well Elder Frank called with the good news, better yet Elder Gareth already set you up with a potential mate.”

“What wait, but-”

“Tomorrow after you’re done with your class he will be waiting for you in the parking lot.” Sam sat speechless as Maggie came in blabbering about how it’s so exciting that Sam was going to have a man of her own and Joey or two.

What was worst every time Sam tried to speak up, Maggie spoke up talking about the joys of finding the man of your life, and every time she said that she looked at Sam’s dad with her big brown doe eyes. Most Roo’s look all their life for the other that completes them, but most don’t. That’s how Sam became to be, her dad got with someone that he grew to love. As fortunate Tommy and Maggie were to find each other, most Roo’s aren’t lucky enough to. With the alliance based solely on expansion and protection, Sam feared she would have no choice in the matter.