The Son He Never Had

1/1

The drops dripped down onto the roof top like a slow beating drum. The icy wind froze in the mist of shivering air. The old man stood inside his workshop as he sliced up wood and craved into the fresh oak. Static mixed with classical music was played. It silenced the rain as no sound was able to escape the small house that was over taken by the radio.

He hummed along loudly and out of tune. The old man pulled out paint brush and began to soak his art work in colors. He smiled as he whispered praises onto himself.

“ Nice,” He murmured squeezing his fingers tighter against the brush to add perfect detail. Finally he was done with his creation and placed it onto of his desk. The doll sat facing him with its drawn smile and wide eyes with no shine.

The man yawned and stretched out his arms above his head. At that moment, the thunder roared and turned off the radio. The lighting struck a few seconds afterwards as the old man reached out to take a look at his small radio. He flipped it over and noticed that a battery was out of place so he murmured something under his breath before pushing it back.

Turning back to look at his master piece one more time before he went to bed, he gasped as the doll jumped down the desk. It landed on its wooden feet and flashed it’s eyes open.

“It’s alive?” He questioned himself before declaring in joy, “It’s alive!”

He grabbed hold of the doll and embraced it into a hug, “You’re a real boy!”

The doll shook its head, “I’m a girl”

The old man pulled away before observing his artwork.

“But you are a boy…”

The doll looked down on itself with disappointment, “I want to be a real girl!”

The old man laughed as he nodded and picked up the doll before setting it on the table. And with a chainsaw, he went to work but when he was done with his project, the doll no longer moved.

“Now you are a girl, why aren’t you moving?” The man asked crying.