I Need A Second to Catch My Breath

I Will Be Your Safety Net

"Come on Alex! It'll be fun." Jack smiled.
"No! Horses are stupid and boring." I frowned.
It was our 3rd day back home from tour and Jack discovered there would be a horse competition in town.
"Please? For me?" He pouted.
"Jaaaaack." I whined.
"PLEASE ALEX PLEASE?!" He begged.
I sighed and smiled. How can I say no to him? He's so cute when he doesn't get his way.
"Fine. We'll go." I caved.
"Yay!" He grinned and kissed my cheek.
I kissed him back and followed him out to my car. Honestly, if anyone else had asked me to come to a stupid horse show with them, I'd have said hell no and walked away. Jacky's not just anyone though.
We hopped in my car and finally drove off.
"This is so exciting!" He exclaimed, bouncing up and down in his seat.
"Only you would be this excited about horses."
"I get excited about everything!"
"One of the many reasons why I love you." I winked.
He kissed my cheek and turned on some Blink 182. We got there a lot faster than I anticipated and payed for our day pass. We walked around, hand in hand, just enjoying spending time together. We could've went dumpster diving and I'd have loved every minute of it, as long as Jack was by my side.
"Alex look!" Jack shouted and pointed to my left.
I looked over to see a huge grey speckled horse. It was so beautiful.
"It's so huge. And what the hell is that on its head? It looks like a poorly made Batman mask." Jack commented.
"I would think so considering it's a competition horse babe and I don't know haha. Just pretend it's Batman's trusty steed." I chuckled.
He fake pouted and instantly perked up.
"Hey Lex, look to your right."
Confused, I looked over and grinned once I saw an adoption booth full of birds.
"Oh my God! Jack can we get one?! Please?!" I exclaimed.
I love birds so much and oh my God I want one so badly. I didn't wait for him to reply. Instead, I took off towards the booth, pulling him with me. We were greeted by a light brown haired woman, holding a white parrot.
"Hi," She smiled, "Are you planning on adopting?"
I bit my lip and looked at Jack, hoping he'd say yes. He looked at me and smiled, nodding in the process.
"YES! I love you so much Jack!" I exclaimed and showered him with kisses.
The woman smiled and began explaining everything we needed to know about caring for birds.
"They require a lot of attention. Make sure you feed them regularly, give them fresh water, and please be caring. They're just like dogs and cats when it comes to needing love from their owner. Show some affection and your bird will love you unconditionally."
I nodded, listening closely. I'm so excited! She finally let us look at each bird to see what we were interested in. The first one I looked at was a Green-Cheeked Conure. It was cute, but it liked to bite. I'm not down with that. The second I looked at was a grey and yellow parakeet, but it was abnormally loud. I know Jack and I both wouldn't be able to handle that. I looked at three more and sighed. I'm having no luck at all.. I walked further down until I came across the last one. It was a medium sized gorgeous bird. It was blue, green and its head was white. I watched it curiously with a smile slowly spreading on my face. The bird took one look at me, flew to the top of its cage, smacking its head and landing on the bottom. I exploded with laughter. This is the bird for me. Beautiful and clumsy. Kinda like Jack. The woman walked over to where I was and laughed.
"That's Jasey. She's very sweet and very clumsy. I figured you'd like her."
"What type of bird is she?" I asked.
"A white-capped pionus."
"I want her!"
"Good! I'll get you the papers." The woman smiled and walked back to her table.
"Jack! I found the one I want!" I said with a smiled.
He walked over and laughed.
"Her name is Jasey!"
"She's kind of derpy." Jack commented.
"Which is exactly why I want this perfect creation."
He smiled and wrapped his arm around my waist. The lady came back over and we signed the papers.
"How much is she?" I asked.
"$133 and that includes her cage."
"Deal!" Jack grinned and pulled out his wallet.
"Aw Jaaaack. I can buy her." I whined.
"No! I wanna buy her for you! Because I love you and I know how much you've been wanting a bird."
"You so get me."
"I know." He winked and kissed me.
My heart fluttered and my cheeks reddened. He's a little too good for me. Jack paid for our new pet and I carried the cage to my car.
"Thank you thank you thank you!" I repeated over and over to Jack. He laughed and draped his arm around my shoulders.
"Anything for you." He said warmly.
Goddamn I love this man. We got to the car, unlocked the door, put Jasey in the backseat, and closed & locked the car. Then, we finally got back and walked around a little more.
"What if she overheats in there?" I asked worriedly.
"Babe, it's not that hot out here at all or in the car. She'll be fine. Plus, I rolled the windows down a bit."
I instantly forgot about the bird once Jack walked directly behind one of the show horses and was kicked by it. He cried out in pain and dropped to his knees, cradling his left arm.
"Jack!" I shouted.
"Next time, get out of the way." The rider snapped.
"Get the fuck away from us or I will personally snatch that stupid crop and beat the shit out of you with it."
He grumbled and rode away.
I returned my attention back to Jack and crouched down beside him.
"Jack, let me see your arm." I said softly.
"No it fucking hurts!" He said through clenched teeth, rocking back and forth.
He slowly stood up and stormed off towards the car.
"Jack. Let me see your arm. Now." I commanded. following closely behind.
He stopped and slowly took his hand away. It was bleeding and already turning black and blue.
"We're going to the hospital. Come on." I frowned and began walking.
"No.. I don't want to." He refused.
"Jacky. Your arm is broken. It'll get worse and worse if you continue delaying a visit to the hospital. Do you want to risk your arm not healing properly and you not being able to play the guitar ever again?"
"No.." He muttered.
"Okay then. Let's go."
He sighed and trudged along behind me. I felt bad. I know he really wanted to have fun at this thing today. Once we got to the car, I opened the door for him and closed it once he sat down in the passenger seat. I got in, closed the door and drove off. I looked over at Jack and gave him a small smile, resting my free hand on his knee. He looked at me and sighed.
"I'm sorry I ruined our day."
"You didn't do anything wrong. That asshole with his stupid horse did. You have nothing to apologize for. Tomorrow, we'll do whatever you want and I'll get you anything you want." I said.
He smiled, " I love you."
"I love you too."
That seemed to cheer him up a bit. While he's getting his arm checked out, I'm going back and killing that guy.. We finally arrived at the hospital and walked in.
"May I help you?" A nurse asked.
"Yes please. My boyfriend was kicked by a horse and it broke his arm. He needs a doctor right away." I answered, gesturing towards Jack.
She scowled, "You'll have to wait your turn. Go fill these out and bring them back when your done."
"But he's bleeding! Why can't we just see a doctor now?" I demanded.
"The waiting room is to your left. Sit down and fill them out."
I bit my tongue to hold back from cussing her out and stormed off into the waiting room. Jack stayed up there to give her his information and what not so he could get a wrist band. After a few minutes, he sat beside me in the waiting room.
"That bitch is a homophobe." He said loud enough for her to hear.
"Jack stopppp. She'll make us wait longer." I complained.
"Well! She is.."
"I know but who gives a shit what she thinks."
"I'm hungry." Jack changed the subject.
I chuckled. "We'll get something after we leave."
"Good." He smiled.
I walked back to the desk and handed the nurse the clipboard and papers, then sat back down. 20 minutes later, a male nurse walked into the waiting room.
"Jack Barakat?" He called out.
Jack and I stood up and followed him to the back. He opened the door to a small room and left.
"Why do we always have to wait forever?" Jack complained.
"Because it's a hospital and they don't care." I sighed and stared out of the window.
After another 20 minutes, the doctor came in and took Jack to get his arm cleaned up and make their way to the radiology department for an x-ray. I rested my head on my hand, shutting my eyes. I'll just nap until they bring Jack back.
"Hey Lex. Wake up." Jack whispered, gently shaking me.
I jolted and opened my eyes. How long was I out for? I looked up at Jack's face and smiled warmly.
"Hey. When did they bring you back?" I asked.
"About 13 minutes ago."
"You should've woken me up."
"You looked so cute while you were sleeping. I couldn't." He smiled.
I blushed and bit my lip.
"So what did they say?" I asked, looking at Jack's arm.
"The bone almost snapped in half." He frowned, "All we're waiting on is for them to put my cast on and we can finally leave. And eat!"
He looked relieved.
I smiled, "As soon as we get home, I swear I'm gonna treat you like royalty until your arm gets better. Then, I'll treat you even better."
He laughed, "I love you Alex. I don't know what I'd do without you. Don't ever leave me."
"I'd rather have my balls set on fire than leave you. I need you just as much as you need me. I love you." I responded with another smile, then crawled onto his hospital bed and rested my head on his chest.
He kissed my head and rested his against mine. This right here is all I need to feel alive. Nothing but Jack and also our bird.
♠ ♠ ♠
Forgive me. I came up with this when I went to a horse competition with my best friend. She loves All Time Low so I figured, why not write a Jalex oneshot while we're here for 8 hours?