Status: Mostly completed as far as written goes - Just need some time to type it up

Theta

Θ9: A Long Way From Home

"Mystic," Janic stopped her in the halls, late at night, when most others were in their beds, "May I have a word?"

"Whatever about, Janic?" Mystic inquired.

"I don't mean to be rude, your majesty," Janic explained, "But you are dead."

"What?" Mystic stared, appalled.

"Yes," Janic nodded, "I should know."

"And why is that?" Mystic questioned.

"Because... I was the one who..." his voice caught in his throat for a minute before he whispered, "I was your killer."

"What?" she took a step back, startled.

"Don't be alarmed!" Janic tried to explain, "You asked me to. It's the reason you said you went travelling at all. The deed was done just on the outskirts of town. I was supposed to return, but I couldn't face my people after such a great loss as that of my best friend. Surely, you understand."

"But... Why would such a thing need to be done at all?" Mystic blinked.

"So you are not the same queen, then," Janic concluded, "Is ruling a kingdom really worth the pain of being wed to King Desu?"

"I... I don't understand," Mystic replied.

"Desu came to the kingdom a many years ago," Janic explained, "Claiming he was from a faraway kingdom known as Phi. Out in my travels, I searched for the land of Phi. Do you know what I found?"

"What?"

"There is no kingdom of Phi," Janic explained, "It's a mythical place that died out millennia ago."

"Which means Desu wasn't even a real prince," Mystic gasped.

"And cannot be a real king," Janic agreed.

"Oh my," Mystic covered her mouth.

"I met a historian," Janic continued, "He's coming to relieve Desu of his throne in a few days time."

"Then we will be ready when he comes," Mystic assured.

"I would hope so," Janic sighed.