Status: My frist story.

Save Me With a Song

Elizabeth

School dragged on like it always did. I went through the motions of paying attention in class but really my mind was a million miles away. My teachers were all used to my zoning and knew that even if they asked me a question I would answer as if I'd been paying attention the whole time. I had one sub though. New guy hadn't been teaching long. Whenever he caught me zoning he'd ask me random questions.

"Who was the first president of the United States?"

"Name the Primary colors."

"What do you get when you add 34996 and 625384?"

He fired question after question never giving up. I didn't mind just sorta tuned him out and focused on the song playing through my head phones. He was red in the face by the time class ended but I couldn't feel sorry for him. He brought it on himself. Should have read my file before coming to a class with me in it. I saved my lunch for after school where I ate it as I rushed over to the elementary school. Choir was held in the music room and as I walked in I felt better then I had in weeks.

"Elizabeth!" Jonah launched himself at me running at full speed.

"Hey." I caught him with a smile as he began to talk about everything that'd happened during school.

I led him back to the group where people were milling about pulling out their songs. Jonah was just telling me about a picture he'd done of a dinosaur when the music teacher walked in. Everyone quickly headed for their spots, it went from youngest to oldest. I was placed in the middle. Jonah smiled at me from the front before we all started to rehearse.

Singing in the choir wasn't the same as the songs I write alone. It's not even the same as listening to my music. But I can sing anyway so that's all that matters. I felt whole as I sang along with everyone else. I wasn't too loud or too quiet and I made it a point not to stand out. Harmony is the word for the feeling I had at that moment. I was in a place of peace and harmony. The only thing about that is when practice ended I was left with that lingering feeling. Which ended the moment I got home.

"And where the fuck have you been you little whore?!" My dad shouted the moment I walked through the door.

The sad thing was he didn't even mean to ask. It was more like an impulse for him to insult me. I just shook my head and walked upstairs the last of my feeling of harmony flickering out. He didn't expect me to answer either. I knew his moods, and I knew what would happen if I provoked him. My mom was an example as she took a beer out to him. Her whole cheek was bruised and swelling, and from the way she was gingerly using her other hand he'd grabbed her there too. She caught me looking at her and lowered her eyes, there were even marks on her neck.

"I'm home." I whispered before walking back up the stairs.

"Where is my damn beer?!"

Home. This place wasn't home. It was just an empty house with people living in it.