Status: Completed!

Skin Deep

food

With a grunt I tore open a high cupboard, smiling as it revealed itself to be full of canned foods. It had been a few days since I’d run out of food, so I eagerly pulled the cans into my empty backpack. Once the clanking of metal had stopped, I ran a hand across my sweating forehead and momentarily regretted staying in Nevada. It soon hit me that I could hear the sound of multiple engines approaching my location. I hesitated with dread before rushing to the kitchen window and peeking out. Two motorbikes with one rider each were mere seconds away from my location, leaving a huge dust cloud behind them.

“Crap!” I hissed while pulling my head back in. My own bike was out back, so they shouldn’t spot it, but I was still in the abandoned house and still in danger. I went back to the kitchen door, lugging the bag full of cans with me, but as I opened it I could clearly see the two men getting off their motorbikes and rushing towards the front door. Quickly but quietly, I shut the door. No way was I going out through the lounge and down the hallway without being noticed. My hand automatically went to the side of my hip in search of my gun but it had no luck. Thinking I was completely alone, I had left it with the rest of my gear by my motorbike. Clenching my jaw I scanned the kitchen.

“Let’s go in here, check for food,” a man said softly. I realised that I couldn’t hear their footsteps on the wooden floor. He must have been right outside the door, yet I hadn’t heard him approaching at all. It was terrifying. In a split second I had lunged across the room and grabbed a chair. I flung it against the door, positioning it at a tricky angle so it would hopefully jam and prevent them from coming in. As I silently crept to the window, I opened a drawer and found a large kitchen knife, grabbing it for just in case. The door was rattling, but staying put. With a huge amount of effort, I pulled the window right up to make a gap big enough for my whole body to fit out, then turned to pick up the heavy bag of canned food. As I bent over, the chair flew across the room and revealed the two men. I froze at the sight of their weapons. I was so dead.

“Well that’s a nice surprise. A pretty young lady,” the older one of them drawled in a thick southern accent, unable to hide his grin. His hair was greying and his face showed hard lines of age, but his body stood tall and robust. He was the exact kind of person I was trying to avoid by being alone. Any group I had run into during the early days was either weak and died quickly, or was lead by a horny psycho man. Now there were mainly scavengers like me, but they were still twisted whenever they sighted a woman.

“Put the knife down,” the other ordered. He was slightly shorter than the first man, but he wielded a large metal crossbow with ease. They had to be equally as strong, and judging by their torn, filthy clothes, they were equally as badass. Both men edged towards me as I considered my options. Could I take them? I doubted it. One would be sure to fire the moment I made a move for them. But what would I be succumbing myself to if I gave myself up?

“Do it or I’ll shoot,” the first said. I tensed, considering death being a better option than letting them have me.

“I swear, we won’t fuckin’ hurt you if you just drop the weapon!” the second man growled.

“Okay!” I shouted, deciding to take my chances. I set the large blade down on the ground and stood up straight with my hands raised, showing them they were empty. The first one remained where he was, gun trained on me, as the second set his crossbow on the dining table and came over to me. He pulled the backpack full of food away from me and then took off the builder’s belt I wore.

“Really?” he asked with raised eyebrows before continuing to pat me down, searching for more weapons.

“Good storage for sharp tools,” I shrugged, stopping myself quickly as I realised I didn’t have to explain myself to the stranger. The man didn’t have much to pat, since I only wore a light t-shirt and shorts. It was too hot to wear anything else. He pulled a smaller knife out that was strapped to my boot and took my weapons away from me, heading back towards his friend.

“What’s your name?” the first one asked as he put his pistol into its holster at his hip.

“Jo.”

“Merle,” he replied and we both turned our heads to the other man. He had picked up the bag full of food and was searching through it on the table. “And this here’s my little brother, Daryl.” Daryl looked at Merle at the mention of his name before glaring back at me.

“Bag’s full of food,” he remarked. I could see it in their eyes, the thoughts running through their minds. Should they take off with my food? Should they leave any behind for me? Would it be best to kill me and take everything I had gathered? I almost shuddered with fear.

“Well let’s go then,” Merle suggested.

“We can’t just leave her with nothing,” Daryl countered. I was glad to hear the sympathy in his voice. His older brother rolled his eyes and left the room, disappearing down the hallway and leaving me feeling awkward. “Is this all that’s in this house?”

“Yeah. Desert heat and time tends to destroy most foods,” I replied. Daryl looked back into the bag, clearly weighing up the options. “Look, it’s a plentiful supply. You can take half if you want, I don’t care. I can find another house. Just let me live.”

“Are you alone?” he wondered.

“Yeah.”

“Would you wanna share a camp tonight?” Daryl asked, picking his crossbow up.

“Do I get my food back?”

“Only if you come with us.” I smiled at the southerner. It was a good proposition. The wonderful taste of canned food as well as protection from two tough men who didn’t appear to be complete psychos… Perhaps I could even steal some of their supplies and ditch them halfway through the night…

“Sure,” I agreed with a nod. Daryl passed my weapons back to me, but kept a hold of the bag of food.

“Don’t try anything. We’re quicker and stronger than you,” he said in a low voice. I didn’t doubt that. We left the room and saw Merle was coming back from the hallway with a couple of blankets in his arms. Without any sort of acknowledgement to me, Merle led the way out to the two motorbikes and I watched as he strapped the blankets on to the back of his bike. They were loaded with gear, and two full backpacks rested on the ground too. These men were prepared for anything.

“My ride’s ‘round back,” I commented as the men pulled on their bags and then started the rumbling engines. Daryl slowly rode around the house and I walked behind him. Merle trailed me too close for comfort. Unwillingly I quickened my pace, feeling relieved when we rounded the back wall and I saw my own motorbike. I only carried one full backpack because otherwise it was too heavy and time consuming during an escape from a horde. It contained a couple of changes of clothes, a few guns and ammo, sleeping bag, some meds, cigarettes and lighters, a couple of other necessities like tampons, and a few treasured photos. I put on my leather jacket that was hanging across the back of the bike before pulling up the backpack. Within thirty seconds I was ready, the motor sounding weak and rusty compared to the brothers’. It didn’t bother me though. Sure, the bike was an old model and had covered a vast amount of the desert with me, but I still liked it. I couldn’t ask for a smoother ride.

“We came from the east. Where were you heading?” Daryl asked loudly.

“Was going south, but there must be a city nearby. The further I go the more Biters I find. I think we should head north,” I replied, hoping they’d take my advice. After exchanging a quick glance, Daryl nodded his head in agreement. We turned our bikes and pointed due north. All I could hear was the grumble of the three engines as we powered across the vast light brown plains. The speed created a cooler flow of air across my body, which I adored. The desert was almost too hot for me, but I assumed that was why the Biters didn’t stay here either. That and the fact there was barely any food out here. My stomach turned at the thought of food, and my eyes fell on my bag that Daryl had secured to his bike. I couldn’t let it out of my sight.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, new TWD story! Pretty excited about this one, and I think you should be too. I've got some great scenes in my head for it.

Also, let me know if there are any issues with the layout. My screen is rather small, and I'm not the best at layouts, but it looks fine (for now).

As always, any comments are very much appreciated! :D